Medieval weapons seem ridiculously overpowered

No, I’m not taking this from Goblin Slayer. The weapon’s quality in the medieval age was not as high as nowadays tools. I think 6-7 armored opponents will be enough to reduce durability of the sword.
My bad, I didn’t meant “unusable”, very sorry. I’m edited my comment.
I think we should add weapon maintenance system for sharp weapons into the game. That’s what I wanna say.

Yes, my bad. I edited my earlier comment. Thank you.
There is 1 thing that bother me though: a char in-game can kill like 10 zeds and still hold his/her sword easily. While in reality, the handle WILL become slippery because of the fat and blood that stick on it. Zombies in this game still have and blood in their body, so this should become an issue.

Regardless of that, we need more than your opinion to be convinced, there’s a strong consensus here that purpose-built weapons for war are not going to have this problem, so we need some evidence to the contrary.

5 Likes

I think even then a person’s grip is strong enough (even without being scared poopless by the in-game menacies) that blood and fat shouldn’t even reach into the creavice between your hand and hilt, unless you’re trying to do some cool party trick, in which you probably shouldn’t even have a sword then

Also contrary to your comment about japanese katana being awesome cutting weapons is the fact that european swords weren’t made to have a razor edges mainly because of the fact that it makes the blade way more brittle and requires more matinence to keep its sharp edge

1 Like

I agree that medieval weapons are too easily obtainable and craftable, but I like them so much. I fell in love with melee because of them.

Make special tags for guns and melee and plate armor
Melee_Pierce would have much less trouble with Kevlar where as
Gun_Pierce wouldn’t do shit to kevlar

Also armor wasn’t stopped around the 1600s, was stopped before then because it was just cheaper to make 100 swords, and 100 swords could beat ten dudes in plate armor. It was more just the size of armies made plate not common. Then guns. Still decent chainmail and gambison could at least keep the user able to breathe from even decent strikes.

2 Likes

I would like to split PIERCE damage into two sub-categories, PIERCE and BULLET. PIERCE would remain for rapiers, spear points, arrows, and other low energy, moderate momentum attacks that are somewhat effective against rigid plate, excellent against woven ballistic fibers like kevlar, and fairly terrible against bulky things like bales of hay. BULLET would be for high energy, low momentum attacks like bullets that are somewhat effective against rigid plate, terrible against woven ballistic fibers, and excellent against bulky things.

I just need to sit down and write it at some point.

7 Likes

I agree. Bullets having their own damage type would be ideal. A Kevlar vest can stand up to a 9mm handgun but not necessarily a trench knife. It would also help move away from there always being a “best” armor.

2 Likes

I should probably have mentioned that historically, plate was almost (when I say almost, I mean like 1:10000 odds) never worn on its own, and was usually paired with a gambeson at the least, and mail on top of that if the soldier was quite rich. That gambeson would help disperse the force of blunt impacts, making the plate ever more effective. However, if your character wasn’t wearing a gambeson or other thick garment underneath their plate, any significant blunt trauma should comparatively hit a lot harder. T-shirts won’t cut it, a thick jacket would be needed. Though, most people get emergency jackets on day one, so that’s a non-issue. Still, the kinetic energy from, say, a hulk’s punch would likely be far stronger than some dick with a club. It’d be preferable to nothing, but you should not be walking away without a decent injury if that hulk manages to get its hands on you.

2 Likes

Later on they actually combined gambesons and chainmail iirc with the chain parts being only around the vulnerable areas where the armour was articulated. Trying to get through solid parts of the armour with any kind of edged weapon was basically a waste of time and even with the joints it was very difficult, it’s why I say blunt force weapons are comparatively effective, comparative to nearly completely ineffective.

4 Likes

This is correct. Chainmail under the armpits, inner elbows, and back of the knees were the main ones since you could get stabbed there with next to no protection otherwise.

I don’t know how you would model one piece of armor to have different protection values. It would be pretty neat though, I always wished dusters weren’t as encumbering for the legs as they are for the arms and torso.

3 Likes

They shouldn’t be too encumbering for the arms either. All of that storage is only around your torso anyway.

1 Like

I’ve always been curious how coverage works for multi-part clothing. For example I think the pair of stockings has 70% coverage and covers leg and feet. It should really be 100% on the feet and 70% on the legs. Or does is work like that already?

No you were right the first time. Coverage is universal, even where it doesn’t really make sense such as stockings. They’re 70% on the legs and feet.

Its even funnier because the clothes are layered and every one of them has its own percentage chance to protect the character against a damage. So it could happen a worn jeans fail to protect the character but not a briefs under it.

The worst way to realize you left your zipper open.

2 Likes