Medieval and Other Content [Merged]

Huh? They should be working in the Dropbox’d version, yes. But the Github version lacks the fighting styles AND their skillbooks.

I swear, this whole “PRing it piece by piece” thing seems to be causing more annoyances than it solves.

Suggestion:
Naginatajutsu for polearms, glaives, spears etc.

Tempting. o.o

[quote=“scorpion451, post:62, topic:10098”]Suggestion:
Naginatajutsu for polearms, glaives, spears etc.[/quote]

Problem here: Naginatajutsu is, as the same suggests, for Naginatas, Glaives, Guisarmes, polearms and similar weapons, which are primarily for cutting, not stabbing. Naginatajutsu could be used with Spears, but it’s not nearly as effective. Keep in mind, Naginatas and polearms are on the most basic level a sword or an axe on a long stick, while the Spear is a stick with a sharp point. Big difference.

The japanese had another martial art, called “Sōjutsu”, which is the way of the Yari/Spear.

On another note, there is also “Kyūdō”, which is the way of the bow. I don’t believe it includes any kind of melee-attacks with bows though, and I’m pretty sure that ‘martial arts’ with gun-type weapons isn’t implemented, right?

@Random_dragon: yup, I’m back :stuck_out_tongue: Kinda. I started playing Cataclysm again <3

O.O

Meep. Welcome back, has been a while. Had gotten a bit worried. <3

And yeah, we don’t really have any options for ranged martial arts so far. What I really wish we had was a way to add mod weapons to an existing martial art without overriding them. That way I could have weapons added from both Medieval mod and Arcana mod, without override conflicts.

I guess it gives you an error if a martial art has a weapon in it’s list which isn’t in the game/code? Problematic indeed.

starts poking Random_dragon

Psst, psst, your mod lacks african Stuff, hehe :3

For example:

Profession: Zulu Warrior
Weapons:

• Iklwa (short stabbing spear)
  • Iwisa (Wooden Club - pretty light, strong impact and can be thrown)
  • Zulu Axe (no clue what the Zulu-name is :o sorry.)
  • Ipapa/Assegai (Longer Spear, mostly used for throwing.)

Special Clothing:

• Isihlangu (Big Oxhide Shield, ~1,5m/5ft long)
  • Umbumbuluzo (Smaller Oxhide Shield, ~1m/3,5ft long)

edit: yes, I’m back and the first thing I do is throwing more stuff for your mods at you :stuck_out_tongue:

Meep. Now I’m wondering though, how best to make them statistically unique. That’s part of the problem one has when adding even more to the weapons. owo

Also still wish that we had a way to add shields in a logical manner.

For now, DF has been devouring my time lately. @_@

[quote=“Kadian, post:64, topic:10098”][quote=“scorpion451, post:62, topic:10098”]Suggestion:
Naginatajutsu for polearms, glaives, spears etc.[/quote]

Problem here: Naginatajutsu is, as the same suggests, for Naginatas, Glaives, Guisarmes, polearms and similar weapons, which are primarily for cutting, not stabbing. Naginatajutsu could be used with Spears, but it’s not nearly as effective. Keep in mind, Naginatas and polearms are on the most basic level a sword or an axe on a long stick, while the Spear is a stick with a sharp point. Big difference.[/quote]

Eh, pointy thing on a stick. Close enough. See umbrellas being compatible with fencing.

Speaing of african stuff; do we have Oosik-armed Inuit as an option yet?

More to the list of things I’m unsure how best to stat.

And…been kinda burnt out lately. ._.

!!Random Dragon!!
X3

Guess [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] is overrated. ;w;

Haven’t been here in a while…

So shields are only in the Dropbox’d version?

Currently, yeah. Mod content is generally easier to balance than mainline content, but shields have still been axed (pun intended) for being a bit hacky in their current implementation.

Bit sad, as the main thing needed to make it more plausible in functionality (offhand support) will likely only be used to shields, as dual-wielding (the other likely use for it) has been a frequently-asked feature that’s been vetoed due to only being plausible and practical in some limited contexts. XP

Practicality is overrated. X3

As for plausibility: in real life, both historically and in modern times, wielding two weapons (a main weapon and an offhand weapon or shield) is the rule, not the exception. Truncheon/maglight and pistol/tazer for modern police, shield and club for riot squad, sabre/cutlass/rapier/dagger and pistol/blunderbuss for Piracy-era shipboard combat, rifle/shotgun and trench knife for trench warfare, spear and shield for the ancient hoplites… it’s two handed weapons and fighting with a single one-handed weapon that are the novelties requiring special study to master. Heck, even some formal martial arts like Eskrima and Niten_Ichi-ryū are largely based around dual wielding. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is ‘armor training’ (a trait), a thing? A lessening of speed/movement penalties when wearing a medieval set.

It’s not ; And, to be honest, I don’t know if the current build of cataclysm would even support such a thing ; What you want sounds a bit like a martial art, but for armor.

As to the Dual wield thingy:
Scorpion is kinda right :3 History shows us that dual wielding (be it 2 weapons or a weapon and a defensive object) is the norm, at least in Melee combat.
Ranged combat on the other hand doesn’t necessarily rely on dual wielding - for example, dual wielding 2 pistols, machine pistols or sawn off shotguns would probably be disadvantageous for the wielder. You wouldn’t be able to aim all that well anymore, and you’d have to fight double the knockback, which is even worse if you’re using big calibers or shotguns.
However, it still should be a viable option, especially when you don’t >care< all that much about your aim.

edit:
Dragooooon! :< Your mod might need more japanese (Ninja!) weaponry, I just realized that.
For example…takes a deep breath :

• Tetsubo (Basically a Mace.)
  • Sais
  • Kamas (Fighting Sickles)
  • Kusarigamas (Chain Sickles, hell yeah.)
  • Nunchaku
  • Tonfas
  • Jitte (A baton of sorts, with the ability to snap swords, like the Sai)
  • Tekko-Kagi (Claws :3)
  • Torinoko (A firecracker of sorts - could be used similar to a hand grenade in CDDA)
  • Fuetsu (Another hand-axe, this time for the japanese, woot x3)
  • Satsunata
  • Tessen (War Fans! Killer-Geishas, here I come.)
  • Gunbai (Officially a ‘fan’ made out of iron and wood ; can ward off arrows, and would probably hurt if you hit someone with it :P)

– Didn’t include throwing weapons and such for now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The list is long enough without them. So no Shuriken or Kunais

^we do have tekko-kagi’s close relatives, the Indian tiger claws (aka bagh nakha). Functionally the same, just the ninja’s version is a bit beefier so it can be used for climbing. Speaking of which- Ashiko (climbing cleats, double as punch daggers), and Indian weaponry.

India’s must-have weapons:
-Urumi: The whip sword; a set of long, razor sharp, steel ribbons on a handle. One of those “most terrifying in the hands of the master and the complete novice” weapons. (Maybe trying to use one without, say, 6+ cutting and melee could result in hitting yourself? Techniques that jump to mind here are sweep and hit all adjacent.)
-Vajra: A small, hefty, blackjack-type double-ended club, sometimes with a spike or blade on one or both ends. (Notable as a ritual weapon; possible tie-ins with arcana and/or the Spiritual trait? I love non-standard boosts like that myself.)
-Pata: When a gauntlet and an arming sword love each other very much, sometimes the stork brings them a Pata. (suggest precision strike and block as techniques)
-Chakram: as Xena taught us, this is clearly the ultimate weapon. And you can wear the smaller ones like bracelets!

The Pata looks to me like some Kind of Katar…on Steroids. Was it a viable weapon? It looks kinda unwieldy, considering that it’s basically a sword tied to your fist.

On another note, to the Chakri (This is apparently the plural?): If you can wear smaller ones on your arm, as Bracelets, couldn’t they be also used as some kind of Knuckle Duster? Or, if you grapple with someone, wouldn’t those blades potentially hurt your enemy - or you?

Meep. Now if we had the ability to weapons that helped with climbing (rather than the hard-coded use of grapnels and )…

A pata does sound like a good way to make unarmed weapons more beefed up, maybe. Assumbing it still warrants the unarmed weapon flag.

As for the urumi, I wish I new of a way to implement a “you smack yourself with the thing” code. Might be possible to make use of techniques and find a way to ensure that one learned at a higher melee skill gets used instead of the lower one. Not sure if that’d work though.

I’ve still been kinda distracted as of late though. I think I might also need to backport some changes/additions that were made on Github to the Dropbox’s version, in fact. And a tileset update I should work on. And…blargh. x.x