Medieval and Other Content [Merged]

Random, small problem ;3

Shields aren’t just armor. They are just as much a weapon as a sword might be xD It was normal that people shieldbash you, especially with smaller shields like bucklers, and damn, do they hurt. Sadly, I assume this isn’t possible to implement without a second hand though xD
man, I want the second hand slot…like, now. dual wielding swords all the way :3 or axes, for the berserker-feel, huehue

Exactly why I went with them being armor, we don’t have duel wielding or any other way to use them in a more effective manner. ;_;

Maybe we could make two-handed paired weapons: gladius and scutum, rapier and main gauche, etc. Then stat them out as the pair of weapons together. Them sticking in foes and technicians pulling them make it a little wonky but it should mostly work.

That would be extra wonky, really. Plus, even when you block an attack with a shield, it can still inflict blunt trauma to the offending arm or get through the shield depending on the nature of the attack.

As it stands, making it armor seems a little better than having it randomly outright negate attacks. The catch is, in addition to being unable to use it offensively, the “you can still be hurt through the shield” mechanic only represents the targeted body part getting hit, there’s no mechanic for getting your arm broken from blocking a blow that was supposed to bash your head in. XP

If enough people pester me to, I might PR it. For now though, unsure.

Pull Request. Basically the process of adding it to the game, whether as a mod or mainlined. ^^"

If others had additional advice on which of this content to mainline?

I’m thinking the martial arts and professions, at minimum, should stay in the mod.

Medieval Swordsmanship seems like an excellent addition to main, actually, since you can already get zweihanders and such.

And what about Pankration, for DF-style shenanigans? XP

I agree the professions should remain in mod form, they don’t really fit the theme of a future tech society. But there will always be people who want to play with swords and shields, so I see nothing wrong with having those available in mainline. Perhaps added to dojo’s to simulate something like Hurstwic and other modern trainers for medieval style combat. Maybe one profession in mainline for a medieval combat enthusiast/renaissance faire goer. I love the idea of shields, its a shame we don’t have an offhand to put it in

And now, fixed a few issues that went unnoticed at first, and added a few weapons. More will come later.

1. Fake scimitars no longer can be used to cut stuff.
  2. Xiphos recipe is no longer autolearned.
  3. Shields can cover the head now too.
  4. Added the longsword. It can be activated to shift stances, making it one or two-handed to suit preference. Changes some flags and techniques when doing so.
  5. Estoc implemented as another stance-shifter.
  6. Khopesh. This will eventually be used by an ancient Egyptian profession. X3

Thanks to Kadian for the weapon suggestions, though there are more he suggested that I’ll work on later.

EDIT: Glaive and ji are in. Also added a book that will be more useful if/when I add more ancient Chinese weapons and armor. X3

wave Always happy to throw stuff at you :stuck_out_tongue: Also, I see that you want to add more chinese weapons? I could give you a few ideas for that…hehe :3

Definitely tempting, a jian and dao for example. Or armor, hmm… o.o

EDIT: Though since I oughta give the spears in More Survival Tools the “reach attack” flag, WHILE I’m juggling a tank mod update and a tileset update…hmm. @_@

I threw more stuff at you! muahahah >:3

Huehuehue. I’m pondering PRing this. Likely in installments, like with Tanks mod. I guess weapons first, then armor, then martial arts, then professions?

Or maybe add some of the things, like the tweaks the plate armor and iron legguards?

did you already make the fix so that we can disassemble copper tubings again / Use them for bronze recepies?

So how rare would these be?
The museum/mansion itemgroup must be getting quite large…
You could also add a new zombie, the Black Knight that has defence equal to full plate & shield and attack equal to long sword.

Ack. I’d forgot about that. Adding the pipe to the bronze recipe as a stopgap solution while I work on a PR to fix that. >.<

[quote=“troll from behind, post:37, topic:10098”]So how rare would these be?
The museum/mansion itemgroup must be getting quite large…
You could also add a new zombie, the Black Knight that has defence equal to full plate & shield and attack equal to long sword.[/quote]

True, it seems that the likely effect will be maybe the item groups very diverse as a result. And…that would be hilarious. XD

Double post because derp. Fixed copper tubing in a PR, and added some of the ancient Chinese weapons Kadian suggested. Also? Braves of the King. Not 100% sure about the starting gear though.

Is crude torso armor possible, like wood planks strapped to our clothes?