Mechanics/Building Tutorials

Does anyone have or know of any LP’s that cover mechanics and/or building a base? I know how to play the rest of the game, but have never even wandered over to that side. I would love to just watch someone build a car/mobile base or a house (built from scratch or just modify)

many of the cata lp’s I’ve seen specifically say how how tedious construction is not only to perform but to watch so they try stay away from it.

vehicle building however is covered in drabs in almost all lp’s.

For a tutorial video on how to do these things specifically I have not seen any as of yet… I’m considering making a vehicle assemble vid if I find time as it is one of my favorite aspects of Cata.

Good luck in finding it. Check out JefMajor’s lp on CataDDA, he’s pretty new to cata but he does cover most of DDA’s features.

I suggest making a throwaway character on a different save to use the debug menu to give yourself the necessary items and stats just to play around with house or vehicle construction to get the concept down.

You know of the stuff (materials) needed to build a house. Like a real shed, a shanty if you wish? You sure you understand the principle? The only real difference here is that when you create roof tiles, you’ve done the flooring also.
As far as the vehicles go in CataDDA, you’ll eventually wish for a custom one. Look at those Chassis all around you, they’re essentially what you need to get it going. They even have a seat or two and a metal tank for fuel. The reason for your frustration is probably due to skill needed to do what’s expected of you. Find a welder, a hacksaw and a wrench; dissasemble a Car Chassis completely to hone mechanics skill. This will give you about three points to it. After that, you can hope to install an engine, some doors and roofing. Eventually you’ll get to badass stuff, such as V8s and wide tires, along with RV kitchens and heavy platings. Set the Skill Rust to 2 (off) and practice a lot.

I don’t know how to do any construction. The only “construction” i have done is remove glass from a broken window.

To build/unbuild a car you have to "e"xamine it. Then it is more or less self explanatory. Make sure that you are not running .7.0 or else examining your car will crash the game.

I can do it too, and build a fireplace or a makeshift bed.

However, I’d like to see a proper guide…

[quote=“vultures, post:4, topic:2305”]You know of the stuff (materials) needed to build a house. Like a real shed, a shanty if you wish? You sure you understand the principle? The only real difference here is that when you create roof tiles, you’ve done the flooring also.
As far as the vehicles go in CataDDA, you’ll eventually wish for a custom one. Look at those Chassis all around you, they’re essentially what you need to get it going. They even have a seat or two and a metal tank for fuel. The reason for your frustration is probably due to skill needed to do what’s expected of you. Find a welder, a hacksaw and a wrench; dissasemble a Car Chassis completely to hone mechanics skill. This will give you about three points to it. After that, you can hope to install an engine, some doors and roofing. Eventually you’ll get to badass stuff, such as V8s and wide tires, along with RV kitchens and heavy platings. Set the Skill Rust to 2 (off) and practice a lot.[/quote]

It’s way way way more quick to (s)mash furniture in gun store/sport clothe/whatever with metal and make crowbar/lockpit. you will be lvl 10+ in no time, enought to to everything and put a second engine by the time you make a small car.

Ahem, he asked how to get a grip on it.
And yes, we lack guides on the wiki pages. I wanted to score one, but I remembered that the guys who do the hard stuff reminded us that majority of the stuff will be overhauled. It’s not just the new features or “just” the new bindings, it’s a whole another sense to it. It’s really a cream-filled treat that you just have to sink your teeth in, or you’ll never know what’s the game like.

Assuming starting from beginning:
(1): Find a hammer and screwdriver.
(2): Disassemble furniture until you reach construction skill level 3.
(3): Decide if you’re making a wood or log house.

(W1): Collect nails and two by fours by deconstructing furniture, looting hardware stores, and/or looting then destroying buildings. Assuming a 3x3 wooden house with one door (1x1 interior), you will need 320 nails and 160 two by fours for the eight walls, 36 nails and 16 two by fours for the door, and 40 nails and 8 two by fours for the roof. So to avoid leaving the job half done, you need at least 396 nails and 184 two by fours for the 3x3 building itself. If you want a bigger house, you will need more materials. Given two by fours are 6 weight and 6 volume a piece, I recommend using a vehicle to cart your two by fours to the construction site to avoid running back and forth dropping off two by fours and going back to pick up more.
If you want a window instead of a wall at a point, you will need a wood saw, 15 two by fours, 34 nails, a sheet of glass, two sheets, a heavy stick and a 3 ft string per window desired, instead of the specific wall’s requirements.

(W2): When you have the required materials, begin construction. Remember you don’t need to have the items in your inventory to build, but can be laid up to two spaces away from you on the ground. *l to begin building a wall. Building is done in stages. Each action completes a stage. When you do this once, you will have a half finished wall, so *l again to finish the wall. You know it’s finished when you can’t walk over it or see around it. Do this for all sides, and for any windows, instead of building a wall, *q three times to finish the window. *r twice to finish the door, *v to finish the floor/roof, and with that, you now you have a 3x3 wood house. Congratulations.

(L1):A log house requires a shovel or stone shovel in addition to the hammer, so make sure you have one.

(L2): You need 4 logs and either 6 heavy sticks or 12 two by fours for each wall. Door requires 16 two by fours and 36 nails. Window requires a wood saw in addition to the hammer, 2 logs (or 15 two by fours), 34 nails, one sheet of glass, two sheets, one heavy stick, and a 3 ft string. The roof requires 2 logs and either 4 heavy sticks or 8 two by fours. For a 3x3 house then (1x1 interior), you need 34 logs, 52 heavy sticks, 16 two by fours and 36 nails. The bigger the house the more materials you need, so scale accordingly. Logs are 40 volume and 20 weight, and can be gotten from chopping down trees with an axe (*d) and chopping the tree trunks into logs (*e).

(L3): Buildings are built in stages. Start with the log walls. *m twice will finish one log wall, which you will know by not being able to see around it or move through it anymore. *r twice will finish the door, and *w once will finish the roof. If you’re making a window, make the window instead of the roof, *q three times to finish a window. Once you have the walls, a door, and a roof, you have a 3x3 log house. Congratulations.

In summary.

Wood House:
Tools: Hammer, Wood Saw (Window)
Wall: Two by four x20, nails x40
Door: Two by four x16, nails x36
Roof: Two by four x8, nails x40
Window: Two by four x15, nails x34, sheet of glass x1, sheet x2, heavy stick x1, string 3ft x1

Log House:
Tools: Axe (chopping trees down and into logs), Hammer, Shovel, Wood Saw (Window)
Log Wall: Log x4, heavy stick x6/two by four x12
Door: Two by four x16, nails x36
Log Roof: Log x2, heavy stick x4/two by four x8
Window: Two by four x15, nails x34, sheet of glass x1, sheet x2, heavy stick x1, string 3ft x1

Materials to build a wood house by interior (no windows)
1x1: two by four x184, nails x396
2x2: two by four x268, nails x636

Materials to build a log house by interior (no windows)
1x1: logs x34, heavy stick x52, two by four x16, nails x36
2x2: logs x52, heavy stick x82, two by four x16, nails x36

Recommendation: Build a car house instead. Faster, materials are more readily available, and can be made mobile if desired. Downside is requiring batteries, welder, hacksaw and wrench, or an integrated toolset. Boards=Walls, Windshield=Window, Doors=door+window, Roof=Roof, Aisle=Floor, Bed=Bed, Kitchen Unit = Fireplace.

In order for a kitchen unit to cook your food, you’re going to need a storage battery, so you’ll want at least one solar panel so you’re not wasting precious batteries charging it up. The kitchen unit doesn’t use a whole lot of power, though. (Note: Don’t forget to add a water tank. You can collect all your clean water in that and drink it from your kitchen unit).

As for propelling your home, it’s up to you.
Gas: Requires gasoline, noiser, faster per engine. Make jerrycans, cart extra gas with you and gasoline won’t be a problem, assuming the world gen graces you with gas stations.
Electric: Free, quieter, slower per engine. Parts are easy to find since solar cars are everywhere. Solar panels are extremely fragile. Carry spare panels to replace any that break. Use multiple storage batteries to extend battery life.
Plutonium: Engine part is rare, fuel is also ammo for future weapons. Wouldn’t recommend it for that reason.
Hydrogen: Engine part is rare, fuel is also ammo for future weapons. Same case.

But yeah, there are multiple ways to get your construction up, including the Building for Beginners book. I only suggest deconstructing furniture because if you’re set on making a wooden house, you need A LOT of two by fours and with the amount of stuff you’d have to take apart to have enough, construction will get that high on its own. Two by fours are also great for fireplace or wood stove fires when cooking meat or purifying water, and are used in many recipes. I never have problems finding a hammer off of a zombie or from a store (but you can craft a stone hammer with 0 survival if you do), and the screwdriver can now be crafted with duct tape and two chunks of steel, which aren’t difficult to find either if a zombie isn’t already carrying one for you.

[quote author=xibalba link=topic=2400.msg31385#msg31385 date=1374471165]

[quote=“Raital, post:11, topic:2305”]In order for a kitchen unit to cook your food, I’m not a mechanically inclined person, so what are the bare minimum parts I need to make a vehicle? Wheels, engine, and controls? How do the less essential parts fit in there?

I had trouble finding enough string to make a stone hammer. For some reason I couldn’t get sinews from butchered animals until my Survival was at 3. I haven’t found a single sewing kit in my three playthroughs (which admittedly only lasted 5 in-game days at the longest). My armor was falling apart on me and I had to avoid towns to survive.[/quote]

For your second point, string is a drop when you smash windows,it comes in 3 ft IIRC. And after your survival is high enough you can craft a bone needle that does the job of a sewing kit (it is also smaller and lighter weight).

As for your first point. a bare minimun eh? Well, probably a steel frame, engine, 2 wheels, controls. As well as the regular tools. Maybe a seat, not sure if the devs have updated that bug yet.

I have found that building cars and buildings to be a total hassle and dont bother with it. there are enough cars around to find some that are fully constructed and enough places to take shelter. This could change in the future when they add the ‘wandering zombie hoard comes to your shelter in the middle of the night’. That is a while off.

we should probably start a thread on how we can make vehicle and building construction more user friendly.

I’m sure in-game help will suffice, once we hit atleast alpha or a really, really early beta of CataDDA.
I’ve noticed some descriptions needed, mostly for items, and I agree it’s a good start.

What I really want is a runway with bumper cars. :slight_smile: