Martial arts 101

How dated is the wiki article on MA? It explicitly mentions 0.5 but who knows, maybe it has been updated without mentioning.

What means Capoeira’s mobility attacks (something like that)? Do I have to run around a zed whilst trying to ground it?

Which MAs are underappreciated? What should a melee-orientated player know?

Thanks.

Centipede doesn’t get a lot of mention, but it’s a pretty nice style. It grants a speed boost to attack with every hit, as long as you don’t get hit, and since it’s only attack is rapid strike you can punch a lot of zombies to death provided that you don’t get surrounded. Not getting surrounded is pretty easy enough to do, and straight lines of zombies usually fall before centipede.

One thing that may reduce damage is the fact that centipede is not compatible with the other martial art friendly weapons like brass knuckles and punch daggers, so it might be reliant on strength to do damage. Still, it’s fast, and even at the start it can wipe out a group of zombies if you can make sure you don’t get surrounded by them.

You may check when any given page on the wiki was last updated, The notes those people left & etc

The wiki is maintained by the community, a handful of exceptional individuals from it atleast
[sup][sup]pokes soyweiser first[/sup][/sup]

There’s always more to be added to it, Now I’d like to point out an opportunity for those of ye with better literary attunement than i to optimize, rephrase and forward over the things that may be said in this thread ( Or any other ) To the wiki.

Brawling - the free one - is great. It is a bit low on damage, but it has a knockback, trip and a counter, making it great for not taking hits.

Gotta agree with Old Tentacle, Brawling IS awesome! (And free!)
Times you actually get hit are rather few with trip, knockback and counter.
And the damage seems to be very least par with everything with stats of 8, naturally minmax adds a lot to likes Muy Thai, Dragon or Scorpion.

D’oh. Good catch. Also I haven’t noticed this exact article; been reading a different one (prolly the one from the guides page).

Thanks for the responses folks.

Brawling - the free one - is great. It is a bit low on damage, but it has a knockback, trip and a counter, making it great for not taking hits.[/quote]

Stupid question but does brawling give any bonus effect while wielding a melee weapon? If not should there be a bare bones “free” melee weapon style?

Its knockback on crit works with all weapons.

EVEN with ones like combat knife?!?
If so it’s OPness just shoot through the roof!

The knockback isn’t normal? Because the Brawling changes to Normal when wielding just a punch dagger or knuckles?

Brawling changing to normal may be a display bug. Knockback works with any weapon, even if the style is shown as “Normal”, as long as it is actually set to “Brawling”.

i can confirmed that bug, tested it in 0.C just a couple minutes ago.

edit: Opened a suggestion thread relevant to this topic, check it here.

I really like ninjutsu. The quietness means you can basically fight melee without any risk of attracting zombies, which makes night raiding even better than it already was (especially with light step) as rather than needing to be a block away zombies need to be like 10ft away to hear you. And the movement dodge/(crit?) bonuses are fantastic. Or it might be the precision strike? Either way, I crit more often than not.

I enjoy ninjitsu quite a bit myself - add light step and weak scent, and you can ghost QUITE well… right up until you get GLOWED by the new huge boomers. :-/

Not that I don’t like them (and the other zombie upgrades), only that they make ghosting about quite difficult.

I enjoy ninjitsu quite a bit myself - add light step and weak scent, and you can ghost QUITE well… right up until you get GLOWED by the new huge boomers. :-/

Not that I don’t like them (and the other zombie upgrades), only that they make ghosting about quite difficult.[/quote]

Oh, I wasn’t quite sure what that meant. What exactly does glow do?

Getting thrown up on by a Huge Boomer lights you up like a christmas tree. Being the only bright light in the middle of the night in a Zombie infested city will end just about as well as you might expect.

What it sounds like, your vision is reduced to 1 tile around you and surrounding mobs are able to see you ( asif you were holding a lightsource or standing the the headlights of a wreckage / etc i’m assuming )

One thing i absolutely must have with ninjitsu is the nightvision perk you start with.
It’s… actually quite damn good in the experimental, not sure if it scales with perception or not but it’s definitely showing allot more than it used to :wink:

The extra range on the light vision with night vision is really nice. In general, lighting seems to have been tweaked a bit.

Due to that, early game turret murder has become less viable. Both normal and milspec turret’s light radius is bigger now, so throwing rocks is harder, and maybe impossible. You’ll need a good rifle in order to snipe out milspecs now.

Aye, NV is much more useful now.

tip: throw a light source at the turret.