Making flamethrowers use diesel?

Well, if guns can’t have more than one ammo type… can items have it? Like, can gasoline both be considered “gasoline” and “whatever” ammo type? Or is it restricted to one item, one ammo type?

Also, what would the side effects of giving diesel the gasoline ammo type be? Besides that they can be used for anything which uses gas.

One item - one ammo type. Worse - unloading a non-gun item returns the default kind of ammo for the item. Can be seen by loading a needle with yarn and unloading thread from it.

As both Cthulhu and I have said before…yeah, non-gun tools act weird when handling an ammo type that has multiple ammo of that type. Still better than the alternative, which would prevent mixing ammo in a tool.

Diesel being given the gasoline ammo type MIGHT work, but it’d be weird. It wouldn’t break fuel tanks since they can only be filled with a specific ammo, not a specific ammo type. No idea if engines are just as picky, but they likely are since I haven’t heard of anyone fueling a gasoline-powered car by installing napalm tanks on it.

Now back on topic, does anyone know if diesel works well in a flamethrower in reality? Since a decent-looking weapon mod has been coded up on this thread as an example, it could be PR’d if it’s feasible.

This is the best I found…http://www.cookandgalloway.co.nz/Flamethrower_attachment-details.aspx

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:23, topic:10591”]As both Cthulhu and I have said before…yeah, non-gun tools act weird when handling an ammo type that has multiple ammo of that type. Still better than the alternative, which would prevent mixing ammo in a tool.

Diesel being given the gasoline ammo type MIGHT work, but it’d be weird. It wouldn’t break fuel tanks since they can only be filled with a specific ammo, not a specific ammo type. No idea if engines are just as picky, but they likely are since I haven’t heard of anyone fueling a gasoline-powered car by installing napalm tanks on it.

Now back on topic, does anyone know if diesel works well in a flamethrower in reality? Since a decent-looking weapon mod has been coded up on this thread as an example, it could be PR’d if it’s feasible.[/quote]

Did some minor quick testing, gas engines won’t use napalm…(boo) but a napalm tank CAN be used for a flamethrower turret

question now is what would it use first… the gas or a napalm if both are installed…

That’s what I figured.

I made a diesel fuel aux flamethrower for a mod I am making and that flamethrower conversion kit seems like a good idea,

Well, as I said, I’m no expert on that matter, but the German wikipedia entry for flamethrowers mentions:

Das Flammöl besteht im einfachsten Fall aus gewöhnlichem Dieselkraftstoff oder leichtem Heizöl. Benzin ist im reinen Zustand ungeeignet, da es zu schnell verbrennt. Dieselöl brennt länger und heißer, und obwohl damit bereits ein effektiver Betrieb des Flammenwerfers möglich ist, wird in der Regel ein weiter optimiertes Gemisch verwendet.
In its simplest form, the flaming oil consist of common Diesel or heating oil. Gasoline in its pure form is not useable, as it burns up to quickly. Diesel oil burns longer and hotter, and [u]even though an effective use of the weapon is possible[/u], other, more optimized fuel is usually used.

This was also what initially made me start this thread. However, I didn’t found any other mention of Diesel being used as fuel on the english wikipedia.

Another note though: after looking things up (I’m sure I’m on some goverment watchlist of at least three nations now…) it seems that Napalm is primarily made of gasoline and some kind of soap. Maybe the in-game recipe could therefore be changed so that it takes either plastics chunks (as it does now) OR common soap. That would also make the recipe more accsessible, IMHO.

Aren’t we all?

This reminds me, can’t we make napalm its own ammo type? I having it as gasoline just makes things weird.

So, I also found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagonda_flamethrower which specifically mentions a diesel/tar combination as fuel. It seems that some weapon mod for the flamethrower isn’t completely unreasonably…

Ancient thread, I know, but I need answers.

Is there any way to ensure a specific fuel type is used by your vehicle mounted flamethrower? Napalm is properly implemented now, it seems, but I have no idea how to select which fuel the flamethrower uses.

Is it the nearest fuel tank, or what?

I’d assume it goes by indices. So it would be the first one installed.

You can make homemade napalm using wax shavings and gasoline:

If you were really intent on making things as realistic as possible, you could just say that the soap bars in-game are wax and make soap+gasoline the new recipe. Apparently styrofoam works better but it’s not in the game.

Off-topic, but there’s also an easier way to make caltrops than is represented in-game:

I’d assume it goes by indices. So it would be the first one installed.[/quote]

…So I would need to remove every fuel tank on the vehicle, install a napalm tank then put all the gasoline tanks back on?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu…

Seeing that mugling is planning on adding optional ammo types for various guns, I’d guess that this would be a very good example of what kind of weapons could use such a system. Shame that he’s not nearly as active on the forums as he is on Github.

But flamethrowers already do let you choose the ammo type. When held.

The problem is that mounted weapons in general don’t give you any obvious way to switch the loaded type.

[quote=“DG123, post:37, topic:10591”]But flamethrowers already do let you choose the ammo type. When held.

The problem is that mounted weapons in general don’t give you any obvious way to switch the loaded type.[/quote]

If that isn’t a very recent addition (I’m playing a version from the 26th), then no. I can choose between fueling my flamethrower with gasoline or with napalm, but not with Diesel.

Huh. My version is way older. I could have sworn I could put diesel in it. Maybe I’m just remembering wrong and it’s gasoline or napalm.