Make the game hate me

Now we can add options on this so new people don’t up and quit. Like most roguelikes this game is really hard at first. Before static spawns it took me literally 50 tries to make it through the first day. Had to ask questions and figure out mechanics. After a while I figured stuff out. Still die sometimes, but its not that bad. Eventually like most roguelikes I turn into the terminator. Lots of bionics, mutations, plenty of explosives and ammo. Car/motorcycle so I can get away. So I turn into the terminator and go from town to town mowing down hoards of zombies. Fun at first, but its just easy after a while. After I waste 100 towns, what is town 101 to me? There is a hard roguelike called ‘adom’. This is really hard in early game. By late-mid game your generally so strong your just going through the motions. I generally play to this point and stop cause I get bored.

Played many, many games. At first I’m a packrat. Lets get everything!. Doing that through 100 different games gets old. Its probably the same thing most people go through with roguelikes.

1. This game is ridiculously hard and I can’t figure out the stupid game mechanis
  2. Quit game or… keep going
  3. die constantly. Goddam it.
  4. figure out mechanics and ways to survive. realize this isn’t skyrim and i can’t barge in and kill stuff then restart
  5. barge in and kill stuff, but save scum.
  6. get bored with above and play the hard way
  7. get good at the game cause you get it and then it gets kind of easy so look for new things to do
  8. want the game to get harder. cause what else am I going to do?

Really like the increase in spawns and city size option. I think we can make this game more unique by giving the ability to make the game get harder as the game goes on and have the game find ways to screw you over. Its more for ‘experienced’ players. To keep it interesting we can tie it into the discussed (but unimplemented) achievement system and run it from a server. So people can have points and such.

We need to do it with options cause when I was new I would never get into the game. Things that would be fun to add for those of us who like to suffer and die.

1. make the game scale to you. So it gets harder as you get stronger
  2. screw you by just doing large numbers of spawns near you from time to time (once you get stronger and get some ammo)
  3. throw hoards of zombies at your shelter for the hell of it
  4. come out of a science lab and out of no where there is a huge spider and fungal spawn near you. sucks to be me.
  5. bunch of up special zombies at times that are in groups (several brutes and masters together). Try to kill me.
  6. if im doing too well, throw more hard crap at me.

Dynamically try to kill me and screw me over. This is not for newer players. Its for those of us who get the mechanics. That being said, I think this kind of element can make the game stand out. Look the motto of dwarf fortress is losing is fun. Then you talk to the guys who have played for years and they generally play until they hit FPS death. They get good at it.

Make the motto of the game ‘this game hates you’. Its a catchy motto. Now make it ‘optional’, but you can tie it into a point system so we can compete in evil mode.

Any roguelike hates you.
Because LOSING IS FUN

What do you think this is?
[size=12pt]A CASUAL GAME?![/size]
[size=14pt]IF ANYTHING, IT’S NOT HARD ENOUGH![/size]
[size=18pt]MORE ZOMBIES, MORE BEARS, MORE DEAAAAAAATH![/size]

[quote=“HS1342, post:3, topic:3196”]What do you think this is?
[size=18pt]MORE ZOMBIES, MORE BEARS, MORE DEAAAAAAATH![/size][/quote]
[size=24pt]ZOMBIE BEARS, FAGGET[/size]

[quote=“trusty_patches, post:4, topic:3196”][quote=“HS1342, post:3, topic:3196”]What do you think this is?
[size=24pt]ZOMBIE BEARS, FAGGET[/size][/quote] [size=24pt]ZOMBIE HULK BEARS![/size]

[quote=“HS1342, post:5, topic:3196”][quote=“trusty_patches, post:4, topic:3196”][quote=“HS1342, post:3, topic:3196”]What do you think this is?
[size=24pt]ZOMBIE BEARS, FAGGET[/size][/quote] [size=24pt]ZOMBIE HULK BEARS![/size][/quote]
You forced me.
I told you.
But you did it.
I’m sorry.

[size=50pt]ZOMBIE CYBERNETIZED NETHER HULK NECROMANT MASTER BEARS[/size]

Changing Bear Gods topic, maybe some kind of evolution like in Rogue Survivor? Those zombies turned into demons with time. They are an alien outbreak here, so… why not making them turn into aliens? Or something like that? Weird creatures roaming the streets.

Yeah, derailing is quite a stupid thing.
Also, evolution would be perfect, but I think about making every zombie a NPC with stats and skills which rise in time - just like DF, ya’ know. Also, we should add carps.

Yeah, derailing is quite a stupid thing.
Also, evolution would be perfect, but I think about making every zombie a NPC with stats and skills which rise in time - just like DF, ya’ know. Also, we should add carps.[/quote]NOT THE CARPS!

Anyway, wouldn’t that overload the engine or something? (Note that I have no knowledge of any programming)

If done correctly - no, it wouldn’t
Good example - DF itself. It can handle 500+ critters pretty well on my laptop(Intel Atom) without lagging too much(not counting on the world generation, it can freeze even top PC’s)

Eventual plans are to:

1. Make most zombies start out as normal zombies. Over time they will be “upgraded”, a process that will be sped up more if they are killed/revived.
  2. Add roving zombie hordes that can wander in from the wilderness, providing quite a challenge.

Both things should make the game get harder as the game goes on.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:11, topic:3196”]Eventual plans are to:

1. Make most zombies start out as normal zombies. Over time they will be “upgraded”, a process that will be sped up more if they are killed/revived.
  2. Add roving zombie hordes that can wander in from the wilderness, providing quite a challenge.

Both things should make the game get harder as the game goes on.[/quote]

Good ideas.

Less is more.

If you want the game to be harder, it’s quite easy to step it up. Drop your starting points below the default amount, increase spawn density and city sizes. Good luck with that.

The late game could do with some more surprise threats, but for the most part there’s enough to do to make your own FUN.

An idea I’ve been thinking about for zombie evolution like i2amroy mentioned (hrm… I think it’s time for a FAQ, not it!)
A new zombie “sleeper”, it gets no zombie description because as far as you can tell it’s a corpse, but if you make noise or it smells you, it gets up.
Sleepers might randomly decide to get up and wander around, likewise regular zombies might just fall over and lie down for a while, but this is rare.

This would let us have zombies all over without it necessarally being overwhelming. Also there’d be a neat mechanic where if you go through an area guns blazing you’ll wake everything up, and it might take a while for the normal number of zombies to lie back down.

Sounds cool fluffwise, but everyone would just metagame it and either fill it with arrows or silenced weapon fire at range or whatever.

If it was an extra strong zombie, ala the L4D witch (I hate making comparisons to L4D but oh well), then it might re-add some of the incentive for stealth that’s been lacking lately.

It’s hard to present the idea of a “harmless dead body” trap when everyone is now trained to butcher everything they see.

This isn’t one or two scattered around, they’d more likely outnumber the active zombies. If you approach to butcher one, the others will smell you while you’re at it and get up to attack. Even the noise from smashing a corpse would likely wake the others. You can maybe stealthily take them out from short-ish range without alerting any of them, if you can one-shot from outside scent range with a silent weapon reliably, that sounds like a relatively high-level ability. More likely you’ll get in range and plink one, which will get up and come after you, but now you’re running the risk of waking the others, etc, it’s a tradeoff.

The real issue is if you’re in a hurry you might need to take a risk like clearing a path through them instead of taking out all of them in an area, and then run the risk of getting surrounded if you end up making a loud noise that wakes a lot of them up.

The main idea is to have a big pile of trouble that you can interact with in a different way (mostly stealth oriented), in addition to the fluff of the mostly unresponsive zombies.

Ahhh I see.

Yes that does sound cool. Stepping out into a mainstreet to say a bunch of dormant zombies and one or two up and shambling about. Would also make shriekers a much bigger problem.

+1 from me!

[quote=“An0n3, post:17, topic:3196”]Ahhh I see.

Yes that does sound cool. Stepping out into a mainstreet to say a bunch of dormant zombies and one or two up and shambling about. Would also make shriekers a much bigger problem.

+1 from me![/quote]
+1 from me as well.

Classic zombies are more of a threat than shriekers in static spawn, where sound doesn’t particularly affect spawning so this will hopefully make people actually afraid of shriekers.

VERY nice idea. Always thought about that, to be honest, but python.
However, we’ll finally find a proper way to use that firecrackers

On topic of mutating enemies: Maybe animals should do something similar over longer period of time then zombies? It could apply only around zombie infested towns and slime pits. Radiation could play some part in it too.

For example: The ravens spawn together with zombies and, I assume, feed on goo tainted zombie flesh. They are not zombified, because they are too small and nor gigantized as they are too complex. So, this steady diet of chtullu’s butter, could eventually mutate them. and if radiation is present it may speed up the process a bit as it causes goo to mutate the host body. So, eventually: swarm of hivemind birds which tear small bits of you or giant crows with scythe like beak(s).

Bonus points if nearby fire ants from nearby anthill, become literal fire ants.