Let's put content into mods

Interesting to think about all the enemies going in separate modules, that’d be extremely exciting, as you could pick and choose what end of the world you wanted.

+9001 for that idea.

Edit: Might be good to keep zombies as the ‘core’ monster though, it’d be pretty impossible for the game to work without them, although special zombies could be put in a mod if we wanted to have a really good level of granularity.

Make furry bullshit optional it r not c0re content kthxbye.

[disclaimer: post was somewhat sarcastic]

[quote=“Icecoon, post:15, topic:4948”]Yes, they are not on by default.
I would support that system that was mentioned by the OP on github. Mod packages from past(medieval weapons) to present stuff to unrealistic, near sci-fi and far sci-fi.

One thing I noticed, that if you reset a world, all mods are erased from it and there is no way to get them back, you have to create a world again.[/quote]
Reported as a bug at https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/5921

In that note, we could move non classic zombies to their own mod, and thus optimize away that option.

I personally don’t like skeletons, smokers and shockers… and zombears, but those are just tough rather then having annoying mechanics (Zombear’s has killed more of my characters then any other type of enemy).

I’d push for as much modularization via themes as we can. Even if we had 10 mods which had a default-on flag, this would give players the chance to customise their apocalypse in exactly the way we want.

Splitting classic zombies off into a separate one is probably a good idea as I know a lot of people who play exclusively classic (I do from time to time).

This gets a bit complicated, there are two interrelated issues here, and it’s hard to keep them seperate.
With the current system, in order to be able to disable content, it must be moved to a mod, because we don’t have a way to disable content in the core (other than classic zombie mode, but that’s another issue). As such there will be content that is enabled by default, but is in a mod so it CAN be disabled if desired. That’s the core vs mod distinction, it’s purely an implementation issue.
The other issue is the game default, which is what selection of content you get if you just start the game and hit “play now” or accept defaults when you create a world. This will consist of the core and a selection of the mods that the dev team considers to make up the main game, for example zombies, triffids, and fungaloids are all going to be in the default game, even if some of them are in mods, but since triffids are in a mod, you’ll be able to deactivate that mod when making a world.
Hope that clarifies things somewhat.

Side note: Classic zombie mode is implemented the way we want mod manager to be implemented later on, so removing it isn’t helpful.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:26, topic:4948”]This gets a bit complicated, there are two interrelated issues here, and it’s hard to keep them seperate.
With the current system, in order to be able to disable content, it must be moved to a mod, because we don’t have a way to disable content in the core (other than classic zombie mode, but that’s another issue). As such there will be content that is enabled by default, but is in a mod so it CAN be disabled if desired. That’s the core vs mod distinction, it’s purely an implementation issue.
The other issue is the game default, which is what selection of content you get if you just start the game and hit “play now” or accept defaults when you create a world. This will consist of the core and a selection of the mods that the dev team considers to make up the main game, for example zombies, triffids, and fungaloids are all going to be in the default game, even if some of them are in mods, but since triffids are in a mod, you’ll be able to deactivate that mod when making a world.

Side note: Classic zombie mode is implemented the way we want mod manager to be implemented later on, so removing it isn’t helpful.[/quote]

This is exactly the way I’d like it. I certainly don’t think anything that is in now needs to be removed completely, but making it a default mod which it is possible to toggle seems to be the way to make most people happy and get the cataclysm everyone wants.

I didn’t realise classic zombies was different (I thought it was very much an early mod sort of thing), but that’s good to know.

I am not sure I understand, are you saying you want to move all mods (or at least core mods) to the options menu? That would probably be fine, but I like the idea of a unified UI for all of it more (perhaps give default mods a * and a colored note in the desc). But you get the final say. :slight_smile:

I was unclear, sorry. The wat it’s implemented “under the hood” is the way we want it to work eventually, but the front-end is going to be a nice menu where you can toggle on/off categores like “classic zombies” or “more guns”, which is like what the current system gives you, and additionally individual things like items if you want. Also it’ll be more flexible, so things will be able to exist in more than one category at a time.

Ah yeah, no I meant the UI mainly. Under the hood is under the hood, in which case ignorance is bliss. I have been trying to avoid looking at the DDA code, otherwise I will get a urge to fix it, and then I won’t have time to play DDA anymore.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:26, topic:4948”]This gets a bit complicated, there are two interrelated issues here, and it’s hard to keep them seperate.

Side note: Classic zombie mode is implemented the way we want mod manager to be implemented later on, so removing it isn’t helpful.[/quote]

That is a very good explanation.

EDIT: Rivet, see, it’s just an implementation/modularity thing.