Latest experimental features

So an odd thing just popped up in my game. I’m unsure if it is new, but I’ve never seen it before.

Waking up on day 11 I had the message pop up, “Getting out of bed doesn’t seem too hard today. You could get used to this!”

I’ve not made it past day 5 since, maybe, 0.9 or something (due to a combination of incompetence and playing other games). I thought it was a nice touch!

Pet carrier is in. It “itemifies” small creatures, so you can transport them around.
Written by jaked122, cleaned up by Kevin.
It isn’t completely finished yet, but usable already.
You can carry a tame dog in it, a non-spoiling food source (a non-tame dog, for example), a depleted turret for infinite light, but it can also be used to create a quantum stockpile in item form if you get enough carriers and small zlaves.

Noticed that when construct or craft something and your NPC-follower has related skills, he will assist you. Step by step this guys becomes pretty useful.

Oh scheisse, when did bagpipes become a thing? Spriting instruments for a future tileset update, so knowing me, I’m likely gonna screw up the spriting worse than I’d screw up an attempt to play bagpipe. >.<

I think that it might appear on the irc when you connect… Could this be it?
this is definitely it

For a quick summary of what’s just gone in, I use this page:

(abusing this topic yet again!)

As promised I’m sharing a first-month report from Google Analytics running at http://tools.cataclysmdda.com: http://insomniac.pl/~drbig/Tools_Report_Aug_23.pdf

The most interesting thing is the share of Mac users - 204 sessions accounting for 30% of all traffic. And we don’t even provide binaries for Mac! (well, there is a build of 0.A on the main website… so stale it should be considered unsafe to consume) We also seem to have almost twice as many users hailing from Japan than United Kingdom.

Some important background and notes:

The tools website is (as far as I know) linked to only in three places: wiki, our subreddit and in the topic of our IRC channel. The point is people who get there are the ones that dug a bit more, so I think it’s safe to assume the number of sessions is representative of the “more involved” part of the playerbase.

Secondly Google Analytics use JavaScript and work only if someone accesses the site directly, i.e. hitting http://tools.cataclysmdda.com/forum doesn’t register at all. As such the conclusion is that the disproportionately low number of Linux users recorded is most likely due to them blocking JS and/or Google Analytics (well I do, for one).

As I have full access to the server logs I’m thinking about running a full log analysis on them some time in the future (when we get more than a month worth of data). This analysis will count redirects as well. I can tell you right now the most popular tool is http://tools.cataclysmdda.com/changes - but it’s also the first item on the list so there might be bias here (tools website has very basic counters built-in).
[hr]
Why even bother with this?

For a game developed mostly by Linux users (and on Linux) we certainly do have a lot of Windows-using players (well, yes it’s not really surprising). The point is we have a shortage of people capable of debugging and/or developing for Windows. Even building on Windows is not really on par (e.g. see the endless GitHub issue(s) on problems with building with C::B/Clion/whatever; problems with Cywgin/MSYS/MSYS2 etc.). Help here would benefit everyone in the community.

Secondly the number of OS X users: we could probably increase the reach of the game if we provided OS X builds. Anyone any ideas on how we can do that?

(Also any discussion about this should probably use a separate topic somewhere)

Interesting. And yes, having more devs that work with Windows and Mac would likely be useful. Though I suspect that if we start adding more Mac support, the Mac builds will risk running into non-stop issues similar to that save-eating bug that hit the Windows version for several builds in a row.

Honestly once the CLion stuff gets a little more developed I have every intention of setting up a mac development environment, which will allow me to run mac builds. The problem is simply that our CLion integration isn’t quite there to that level of ease yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

And got a long-delayed tileset update PR’d: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/13398

I screwed up some sprite assignment, causing things like tubas pretending to be trees, spiral stones pretending to be random chunks of explosion, etc.

Keep complaints away from this thread please, it is supposed to be a sort of a manual changelog, not generic new stuff discussion thread.

A bunch of new trees are in (by chaosvolt). Currently only usable for crafting ingredients for aspirin and some makeshift clothing.

New stumbling movement code (by Kevin) should make zombies bunch up less.

Anigifs of said code in action:

Thank you so much to the legend who made it so that you can choose which side you have the info-bar on. It’ll take some getting used to, but now I can have all the text on the left side of my screen which, because I have 1 eye better than the other, helps me a great deal! :slight_smile:

And thank you to Coolthulhu for merging the mapgen fixes for tank mod, so now it won’t bork quests.

Just merged coolthulu’s nice looking start at drawing lower levels instead of “open air” tiles, and a bunch of enhancements to climbing.
Now you can walk up to a ledge and 'e’xamine off the edge to get a prompt to climb down, with a nice message estimating your chances of getting back up and/or hurting yourself.
You can see outlines of vehicles and terrain on lower levels, with a cyan background to let you know it’s not the same level.
Finally some neat utility stuff, you can park a car next to a building to help you climb onto the roof, though most buildings don’t have roofs <_<

First part of the Arcana mod is also in, whee. Surprised that it got merged with no complaints or suggestions for what to change. o3o

A bit of gear rebalancing by BrianLefler.
Mostly nerfs to the overpowered storage gear and a nerf to layering low-encumbrance stuff.

I’m loving the new tools for wrangling friendly NPCs.

(Not loving it so much when my followers die in the beds I built for them, but I guess getting to First Aid NPCs is still WIP.)

Ahem. Since this is more for announcing new content, not discussing it…

To take us back on topic, more of the arcana mod has been merged. aside from the usual expansions, this also means added disassembly recipes for most of the magical items, via the hammer of the hunter. Du nicht können halt Hammerzeit.

You want a farm? You’ve got a farm. Just merged a set of features mostly written by jaked, with contributions from myself and BevapDin that implements farming tools for vehicles. Plows, seed drills, and reapers (surprisingly no fertilizers…).
Have at it :slight_smile: