Latest experimental features: tangent and new feature discussion

A few things need to happen to get this going.

-Main Benchmark Issues need to be addressed, major long term bugs, etc.
–A feature freeze needs to be engaged so enough bugs can actually be squashed to make it stable-worthy.
—To make a feature freeze even go through, most currently open features, reworks, et cetera that were in progress need to be either finished, tied off at the frays, or otherwise removed. Considering the occasion of people coming in, half-making a large series of impressive features, and then abandoning them halfway through even though sizable portions have been merged already, it becomes a problem to determine whether to wait or to finish the job for them.

All the meanwhile, new features are being tossed in still, and new bugs crop up as people add more stuff. It’ll be a while before a new stable is on it’s way, you’ll know when it’s soon once a feature freeze happens.

That said, the previous assumes we’re still using feature freezes, which we no longer may be, I haven’t been keeping up too well, but it’s the extent of what I know.[/quote]

Seems a bit of a mess. We’re left with buggy software and rampant development, not so much a game to be played, but a game’s source to be toyed with. I appreciate all the work everyone’s putting in and i often check the activity on the github to see new people working, but it does have to amount to a usable project if we’re still to consider this a workable game.

Well I’m not sure what you’re talking about there but I very rarely ever get truly game breaking bugs and even when there is one it gets patched before you know it. Maybe you just get unlucky with what versions you download? Or maybe it’s that you don’t download the experimentals? This is very much a workable game and many people get a ridiculous amount of hours out of it as do I. The experimental part of it is more like “not fully implemented features” rather than “warning this may crash often.” Besides, how many other games do you know of that release about ten versions a day?

Also, I’m not saying that it crashing isn’t a thing or that there are no bugs, it definitely happens but I’ve never found it unplayable because of it.

Have to agree with there being some bugs (what game don’t)
But at the same time nothing that don’t get fixed bloody fast.

I am going to keep saying this but the cdda community is so so lucky that we have so many talented people contributing to this amazeing simulator :slight_smile:

This game is ground breaking the depth,optoins,items its crazy I love it.

We have z levels in the works
Vehicle construction
Construction
Item crafting

I mean holy crap: O

But yeah stick with it some times the releases (experimentals) don’t even load or come with an exe lol.
But tbh as said 5+ updates a day who on earth gets this from any other game.

We are truly blessed I love the cdda community.

Thank you so so much

Release stable with those enhancements, add true story and improve endgame goals/ultimate plot, balance and CDDA will be considered Major Roguelike. You are that far really.

Well, recently a few annoying bugs have not been fixed. But considering it is vacation time. This is not totally surprising. And there are a few big refactorings being done. Those always introduce a few annoying bugs.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:1005, topic:5582”]Mission code is mostly JSONized now. Has bugs here and there, but it should allow simple custom missions already.

Mutation attacks are jsonized. Currently only simple ones, but this covers most of them.[/quote]

Hey Coolthulhu, could you update the json documentation in the doc dir with these changes? (I already have a PR that adds the other missing documentation from the mutations, just didn’t add the attacks).

But how do i do that when the PC cannot learn the recipes from the book?
I don’t think i understand.

But how do i do that when the PC cannot learn the recipes from the book?
I don’t think i understand.[/quote]

Keep the book in your inventory or within 5 or 6 line of sight tiles and you can use the recipes.

Wow, that’s way more fun, great change.

The slow murder of the game in the name of “realism” continues.

[quote=“Thwap, post:21, topic:12750”]Wow, that’s way more fun, great change.

The slow murder of the game in the name of “realism” continues.[/quote]

Honestly, that’s actually a fair change of realism without really affecting the fun. I don’t usually memorize a cooking recipe in real life until I’ve cooked it a couple times. Unless every survivor has an Eidetic memory, the book I read three weeks ago with step by step instructions to build a signal module is not going to be perfectly remembered. Whereas, if I’ve built a couple of them already, the experience and steps are going to be much more vivid in my mind. Unless you were previously just burning all your skill books after reading them, they are still there. Just drop them near your crafting spot, and your golden, just like it was before.

For you. For others it is less fun.

For you. For others it is less fun.[/quote]

But how often are you crafting complex things completely away from your base? It’ll use nearby books, so just drop your book stash near your part stash, and it behaves exactly as it did before the change. The exact same behavior as before should be exactly the same amount of fun as before.

My mobile base with limited storage space you mean? That I now also have to keep a stack of books in?

Learning all recipes from books is now way more of a chore. But yeah, not everybody plays like you do. And this does change a few playstyles. If it influences them greatly I don’t know, have not tested it enough. I do however not really like it myself.

Optional things like this are inconsequential. It is also turned of by default.
That would be like saying that mods are direct changes to the game.
I do not play with real time. But it doesn t effect me at all .
If you provide a feature that can be turned on by those who want it like a mod
You will please those who like it and not effect those who don t.
The community can only gain from this. Therefor it is a good idea.

Which one of you was claiming that real-time mode was enabled by default? -_-

My mobile base with limited storage space you mean? That I now also have to keep a stack of books in?

Learning all recipes from books is now way more of a chore. But yeah, not everybody plays like you do. And this does change a few playstyles. If it influences them greatly I don’t know, have not tested it enough. I do however not really like it myself.[/quote]

And that’s a mechanical disadvantage of the mobile Do-It-All base playstyle then. Different playstyles have different advantages and disadvantages. Whereas stationary play styles have the advantage of practically unlimited storage space, they trade it off by consuming much more fuel and time to achieve loot, increasing even more as time goes on.

That was you. :slight_smile: at least you was the one the most vocal about it.

I think being able to do both would be nice. Being able to do a recipe immediately when you have a book is convenient when you have it around but allowing the player to memorize it before hand is good, too. Nice to have more options.

No game breaking bugs? Aren’t turrets and vehicle engines kind of utterly screwed up right now? Or was that fixed already?

And this saddens me because I love the Arcana mod. The Symbol of Judgement and the staff that shoots hellfire are my favourite weapons at the moment. I’m using an outdated version for fear of the bugs ruining everything so I’m not actually sure what other stuff is available for me.