Latest experimental 0.8-1185-g4fbff02 CTD bug

I get a CTD without any warnings after some time in-game and when I try to load the auto-save I get a message saying:

DEBUG: Bad save json
syntax error at line 1 near:
Press spacebar…

After which I get an error message saying

Assertion failed!

Program: …
File: picojson.h
Line:228

Expression “type mismatch! call is () before get()” && is()

For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts

(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)

\ This also happens if I try to start a new game without reseting the world after the first CTD.

Can you provide a copy of this save?

I had a similar error, computer crashed, was a fresh character so it hadn’t autosaved. When I try to reload the game it gave a “syntax error in artifacts.gsav” and dropped back to desktop. “artifacts.gsav” was completely empty when I opened it up in wordpad. No save because I had to delete save folder to get the game to work again.

I ran into the same, but in my case my hard drive was full, which is a pathological case I don’t expect to be able to handle. Reporting the failed save, and even better leaving the existing save intact in case it can’t write the new one are nice to haves though.
I suspect your crash was during a save though, is 1185 in the span that doesn’t have that NPC null check?