Jury Rigged Stove

yep, sure running DC from inside a heating element generates heat.

But your typical electrical ovens don’t work that simple. They are fed AC from the power network, then convert it as they need.
So you cannot hook a typical oven straight to DC from its power plug.

You’d have to remove its power converter and basically every part of the circuit that is not going to heating elements.

But if that was the case, you could just smash it, get the heating elements from it, then craft a hotplate from those… This is already in…

Other than having it hooked on a car battery, that is.
I agree, one should be able to do this!

So, why not just make a way to hook a hotplate to a car battery? Seems simpler…

Just make a recipe of “Hotplate with vehicle battery attached”, give to the new item the charges of the battery, add it as an alternative to hotplates to all the recipes and voila! Car battery powered hotplate!

Then, just dissasemble it to get back your battery and hotplate when it runs out of power…

PS. This way also removes the power drain issues… Since this is how electricity its implemented right now and you’d have to rebalance all electricity in order to get it more realistic. Something too far above my paygrade i think…

The word you’re looking for is ‘tedious’. It’s much easier, and more fun, for players to deal with abstract ‘electricity’ than with currents and voltages, if they’re not used as highly abstract units too.
I like your rigging-a-hotplate-to-run-off-vehicle-batteries idea. Could even be a mod, if you can deal with requirement of heavy and not that long-lasting batteries.

Speaking about stoves, there are mentions of “more common chemical-fueled Esbit stove” in mess kit’s descriptions. If it’s common, why there’s none whatsoever, along with hexamine tablets/bars working as fuel for it?
Hexamine bars could be even producible, if you find some rare gear in labs. Wood → methanol → formaldehyde + ammonia = makeshift hexamine.

And about jury-rigging, why not a makeshift stove running off gasoline, or bunsen burner running off any spirit?

Good ideas!
I think the main reason something like this doesn’t exist is we don’t have too much any code for interacting with something like this as a piece of furniture. At least, that’s my guess anyway.

Just to chip in another one -

• ovens have variations, too. An electric pizza oven literally scorches foods, whilst the microwave one works best with nutrients that have been already thermally processed.

That’s about it for that matter. Now for that 'nuther one:
You can jury-rig a soldering iron item with some copper and steel (copper poisons foods) only to obtain a rod similar to a grill rod in an oven; you can roast meat(s) and boil liquid with this if you’ve attached it to one car battery or another.
Primary question in hand here is - would you still do it if you knew how to control a campfire and you found a pot-like item?