Jenkins is mad at me

…I don’t really know what’s wrong at this point, I’ve cleared up everything that the game said was broken, and Jenkins’ console log doesn’t make sense to me…
My Foodstuffs Expansion PR

[code]GitHub pull request #4451 of commit 138a05c1c26f3ee5a10cea5efd4fe1eb22839e4a.
Building in workspace /var/lib/jenkins/jobs/Cataclysm-PullRequests/workspace

Deleting project workspace… done

Fetching changes from the remote Git repository
Fetching upstream changes from git://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA.git
Checking out Revision 138a05c1c26f3ee5a10cea5efd4fe1eb22839e4a (detached)
Run condition [Boolean condition] enabling prebuild for step [Execute shell]
[Boolean condition] checking [true] against [^(1|y|yes|t|true|on|run)$] (origin token: ${CHECK_MAKEFILE})
Run condition [Boolean condition] enabling perform for step [Execute shell]
[workspace] $ /bin/sh -xe /tmp/hudson4185951750664933247.sh

• diff -q /var/lib/jenkins/cataclysm-reference-repo/Makefile Makefile
    Files /var/lib/jenkins/cataclysm-reference-repo/Makefile and Makefile differ
    Build step ‘Conditional step (single)’ marked build as failure
    Archiving artifacts
    Finished: FAILURE[/code]

You’ve been working on that one for long enough that it might need to be updated to stay current.

Try merging the changes from the current C:DDA master file into your branch and see if that fixes it.

Also note: I’m really not that knowledgeable when it comes to Git, so I might be completely mistaken.

You know more than I do XD

[quote=“Rivet, post:2, topic:4136”]You’ve been working on that one for long enough that it might need to be updated to stay current.

Try merging the changes from the current C:DDA master file into your branch and see if that fixes it.[/quote]

I have no idea how to do that.

EDIT: Oh god everything is in Cyrillic what did I do wrong XD I feel like I’ve been tasked to stop a nuclear meltdown and have been given a fried chicken wing. I’M NOT TRAINED TO DO THIS, I THINK I’M MAKING IT WORSE, AND NOW I DON’T HAVE A CHICKEN LEG BUT I’M NOT HUNGRY ANYMORE.

EDIT: Okay, it’s in english again.

EDIT: Okay, I think I got it updated, Jenkins still doesn’t like the taste.

Regretfully, I have no idea how to merge at the command-line. I always do it through the GUI.

That said, if you can fetch the latest master, then merge it into your branch, you should be good as long as there’s no conflicts.

[quote=“Ian Strachan, post:4, topic:4136”]Regretfully, I have no idea how to merge at the command-line. I always do it through the GUI.

That said, if you can fetch the latest master, then merge it into your branch, you should be good as long as there’s no conflicts.[/quote]

…I use the GitHub thing it asks you to DL if you hit the clone in desktop button, as for the second part I have no idea what that means XD

I’m afraid I’m equally useless to you regarding HOW to make the merge happen, I only use the linus cli git client, BUT, I do know the problem, which is your branch is old enough that jenkins doesn’t recognize the makefile, since the makefile can execute arbitrary code on the jenkins server, it refuses to run makefiles it doesn’t recognize.

on the command line you’d just do:
git pull upstream master
Look for something like “pull” or merge in your client.

This might be helpful:
https://help.github.com/categories/58/articles

Maybe try synchronize? I’m not sure if that pulls from upstream too.

Holy cats I might actually be able to help here! I use the Windows Gihub UI but about 3/4 of what I do with it is through the command shell interface.

In the Windows Github GUI you’ll notice a button that looks like a gear. If you click that you’ll get an option to ‘open a shell here’ which will take you to the Linux-style Git prompt.

Once you’re there you can use normal shell commands like Kevin Granade is talking about.

It’ll say something like:

Obviously, the italicized YOURNAME and YOURCOMPUTER and branch-name-here will actually be your Github name and the name of your system and the actual name of your PR.

The (pr-name-here) part may say (master) instead. If it does, type in:

This should move you over to your PR and cause the command line to read something like:

Which means that you’re now on your PR’s branch. Once you’re in there you’ll need to type in:

Which should pull the changes from the upstream (the main C:DDA master repository that we’re all contributing to) and merge them into your PR. Of course this assumes that you’ve named the remote core repository upstream in your configuration.

Once you’ve run that command it will print a whole bunch of stuff about grabbing data and updating files, same as when you update your master file by grabbing the core repository’s latest changes.

I hope that this helps, and if not let us know and we’ll see what else we can do for you.

…Something about conflicts that I don’t really understand, it sounds like it doesn’t like the files I changed XD

EDIT: …I… I think I made things worse… the whole git pull upstream master thing was working fine earlier… now I keep getting

[code]fatal: ‘upstream’ does not appear to be a git repository
fatal: could not read from remote repository

Please make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists.[/code]

I had tried to fix my brach, it didn’t like it, so I tried to delete it and start over (With my stuff backed up locally) Then it was saying the repository didn’t exist so I re-DLed it…

now it’s giving errors about being unable to load commits and other crap…

I THINK I BROKE EVERYTHING

Okay if it’s saying there’s conflicts let’s try this:

Make sure your master branch is up to date:

[code]git checkout master

git pull upstream master[/code]

Now we’ll go back to your PR branch:

And fetch the changes that are conflicting:

You’ll see that the Git prompt now ends with something like UPDATE.

Now commit the changes:

And merge the changes from your master into your working branch:

Then push to Github

And hopefully everything will be good.

One problem down, another has popped up.

Jenkins log (Well, the end of it)

+/tmp/hudson5038152500460847498.sh:10> doc/contrib/verify_json.sh yes: standard output: Broken pipe yes: write error DEBUG: data/json/item_groups.json: line 5255:4: missing separator ["loincloth_leather", 1] ] } ^ <<<<<<< HEAD ] Build step 'Execute shell' marked build as failure Archiving artifacts Finished: FAILURE

I looked into the files and found out a few end in weird stuff like this: (Found in the item_groups.JSON)

[code]<<<<<<< HEAD

]

]

0df165bd23e6d3195eb3ac8abc2a2e49fa642773[/code]

instead of a ]

and that similar weird text like that had hopped into the consumables JSON

[code] {
“type” : “COMESTIBLE”,
<<<<<<< HEAD
“id” : “irradiated_papaya”,
“name” : “irradiated papaya”,
“weight” : 200,
“color” : “yellow”,
“addiction_type” : “none”,
“spoils_in” : 0,
“use_action” : “NONE”,
“stim” : 0,
“container” : “bag_plastic”,
“to_hit” : 0,
“comestible_type” : “FOOD”,
“symbol” : “%”,
“quench” : 8,
“heal” : 2,
“addiction_potential” : 0,
“nutrition” : 21,
“description” : “An irradiated papaya, while the radiation is gone it will remain edible nearly forever.”,
“price” : 10,
“material” : “veggy”,
“tool” : “null”,
“volume” : 2,
“cutting” : 0,
“phase” : “solid”,
“charges” : 1,
“bashing” : 0,
“fun” : 5
},
{
“id” : “irradiated_kiwi”,
“name” : “irradiated kiwi”,
“weight” : 100,
“color” : “brown”,
“quench” : 3,
“heal” : 2,
“nutrition” : 11,
“description” : “An irradiated kiwi, while the radiation is gone it will remain edible nearly forever.”,
“volume” : 1,
“fun” : 3
},
{
“id” : “irradiated_apricot”,
“name” : “irradiated apricot”,
“weight” : 150,
“color” : “yellow”,
“quench” : 3,
“heal” : 1,
“nutrition” : 16,
“description” : “An irradiated apricot, while the radiation is gone it will remain edible nearly forever.”,
“volume” : 1,
“fun” : 3

"id" : "single_malt_whiskey",
    "name" : "single malt whiskey",
    "weight" : 33,
    "color" : "brown",
    "addiction_type" : "alcohol",
    "spoils_in" : 0,
    "use_action" : "ALCOHOL",
    "stim" : -12,
    "container" : "wooden_barrel",
    "to_hit" : 0,
    "comestible_type" : "DRINK",
    "symbol" : "~",
    "quench" : -12,
    "heal" : -2,
    "addiction_potential" : 5,
    "nutrition" : 4,
    "description" : "Only the finest whiskey straight from the bung.",
    "price" : 85,
    "material" : "null",
    "tool" : "null",
    "volume" : 2,
    "cutting" : 0,
    "phase" : "liquid",
    "charges" : 7,
    "bashing" : 0,
    "fun" : 17

0df165bd23e6d3195eb3ac8abc2a2e49fa642773
}[/code]

EDIT: Got some help from my not-boss. Who proved to be useful. It’s been fixed, once I add a few things I just remembered from the suggestion thread I’ll post the fix. Should be good, in theory.

That’s what happens when there is a conflict (i.e. you changed something and somebody in the changes you are merging in changed the same thing). JSON’s are really horrible about those, and they tend to crop up fairly often when making large merges like that. Surprisingly the help manual documentation on merges is remarkably clear and useful for dealing with conflicts (https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-merge.html). Just scroll down to the “how conflicts are presented” topic and read from there.