Is vehicle modification worth the time?

I’ve recently acquired a car that was in pretty good shape, fixed up some dents and even added a bit of extra armor to the front in case I have to drive through a horde, and this got me thinking, how useful is vehicle modification( i mean beyond simply adding additional armor layers) in the long run?

Wasting time in a super car could be the best investment in any game. The best advantage is their ability to power a variety of tools with various types of power sources, with solar power being unlimited with enough solar panels. Some even build giant mobile bases out of various dismantled vehicles.

Oh hell yes it is. You’re gonna be running over things at +100 miles per hour one day, and on the day you’re gonna want that extra qrmor and an extra gas tank.

Plus it’s free mech skill.

Yes, it’s obscenely powerful for a variety of reasons. Overpowered armoured vehicles also make the best “base”.

Easier to build, more functionality, more durability, easier to maintain, MOBILE.

Yeah, vehicles >>>>>> bases in pretty much every way.

yes. learn to make ropes.

Especially in the recent build. Cargo Carriers can carry up to 1000 volume, compared to 600 for the trunk. You can also install a welding rig, electric forge, kitchen unit, and the FOODCO Kitchen Buddy.

Basically, you can have a mobile base with everything you can ask for and more. The biggest downside, of course, is how many resources said vehicle will drink up in terms of building and maintenance costs. If you don’t have an integrated toolset or a rechargeable welder combined with solar panels, the vehicle will drain batteries by the pallet load.

Plus you can’t make gas.

So you can’t make a still and run on ethanol? it looks like that need to be added then.

but you don’t need gas, solar panels will keep you moving albeit slowy, and as long as you keep moveing, you keep finding more gas.

Basically, you can have a mobile base with everything you can ask for and more. The biggest downside, of course, is how many resources said vehicle will drink up in terms of building and maintenance costs. If you don't have an integrated toolset or a rechargeable welder combined with solar panels, the vehicle will drain batteries by the pallet load.

Use welding rig, it works with vehicles as well.

No, that’s a terrible idea. I like my gas mildly hard to find and somewhat of a limited resource.

No, that’s a terrible idea. I like my gas mildly hard to find a somewhat of a limited resource.[/quote]I kindasorta agree with Ninja, players should have to choose between weak but always available electric power, moderately powerful but not unlimited in quantity gas power, or very powerful but hard to find nuclear power.

The need for a lot of crops to distill, makes ethanol only for those that have a base that can both farm and distill.
And then there’s the time you have to grow the crop, brew them in to alcohol and distill them.

i would totally built a mega mega octagonal car for an ultra-high torque, low rpm wood powered engine if we had that and if i could find a way to play a non-book reading mechanic post retro steampunk guy! plowing through towns and forests while i jump of the moving vehicle to deal with enemies and chop more wood or to run ahead to spot any rivers. lock it at 15…20km/h and go west for a few years. yeah. those strange liquids you are talking about only for the on-board firespitters!

Of course! Just think, if a car is, basically, an house with wheels, imagine an house fulfilled with traps and turrets!

An vehicle with modifications is like:

a) Comfortable place to sleep.
b) Secure place to leave all your loot.
c) Fast movement.
d) Deadly weapon.

I wanted steam engines, but it’s too OP/unrealistic. Even though solar is still the most OP thing in the game because it’s infinitely renewable.

I love that now that we have roving hordes building a great gigantic mobile base is actually an accomplishment now.

I could certainly see steam engines going into the game, it’s just that there is a lot of work that would need to be done on the vehicle code to add any new type of engine.

Armor tinkering for me is worth it for the coolness factor. Dismantling military armor and strapping it to a spiked truck. HELL YEAH.

But if you want to have a future in this game when they add NPCs that you can mind-rape, heres some Destruction and Death Safety Rules!!!
Step The First: Pay attention to anyone in the middle of the road! Running zombies over is different from humans, as you will get such low morale that you will decide that you hate LOVE YOURSELF!![/s] WARNING: SERVING WILL CAUSE APOCALYPSE AND MEANS YOU ARE IN A MOVIE. BE ON HIGH ALERT.
Step The Second: Reinforce your car unless you want NPCS to rape you with M249s and Rockets! Seriously though. Reinforce the front and back.
Step three: Make sure that your car is not over 500000 miles per hour, as suddenly stopping infront of a survivor is liable to kill them instantly from You stuff flying out the window, so keep that in mind.
Last Step: If you forget to reinforce your wheels and your about to go over a dirt patch… You’ll have plenty of !!!FUN!!!
But seriously, when NPCS get fixed, they will get weapons of mass destruction and will fuck your ride up, so have plenty of cannon fodder and meatshields friendly NPCS and dogs to help you out!