Is there any light source are available on the construct menu right now?

So I hear there is plan to make a underground city, am I right? well, If that’s true, it will need a lot light source furniture to make it happen, you can’t just live in the dark forever, right?

But, what if we want to build our own underground place? there’s got to be have some light source furniture on construct menu, how long it gonna add on the game? enough to appear before 0.D?

The underground city is in. It uses a utility light terrain that it is assumed is running off of some sort of non-duplicatable backup power. Right now the player has no way to create a light source outside of the vehicle system, because the vehicle system is the only one that tracks power and whatnot.

Except the atomic lamp and light.

Those are items, and they’re only allowed to make light indefinitely because they only illuminate a small area. Large enough to light up a whole underground base and you run into issues. You can either make a “vehicle” to run lights, or place atomic lights around everywhere.

Just to make sure, Are you talking about the stable or the experimental version?

also [quote=“vache, post:4, topic:9771”]You can either make a “vehicle” to run lights[/quote]
Is it ever going to be possible to run the vehicle power between z-levels? ( Has there been talk or theory crafting about it / etc )

Just to make sure, Are you talking about the stable or the experimental version?[/quote]

A little bit of both I think. I know it is in experimental, it might have an unfinished section in stable.

also [quote="vache, post:4, topic:9771"]You can either make a "vehicle" to run lights[/quote] Is it ever going to be possible to run the vehicle power between z-levels? ( Has there been talk or theory crafting about it / etc )

It might come eventually with the rest of the z-level work, but as I’m not working on it, I can’t really say. I know right now vehicles have no “z” aspect to them, so a given vehicle can’t even report it’s “z” coordinate, that would have to be gathered from the map.

Is it ever going to be possible to run the vehicle power between z-levels? ( Has there been talk or theory crafting about it / etc )[/quote]

Yes. In 3D mode, it wouldn’t be much of a problem. The only problem with it would be that stairs “teleport” you in x/y coordinates, meaning that connecting vehicles on other z-levels would require some weird actions not to exceed the length limit of the cable.

Wow there, 3D mode? wasn’t aware there’s such a thing O.Q
[sup][sup][sup][sup][sup][sup][sup]Unless what you meant was “from a 3D perspective”[/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup]

well a function dedicated to throwing cables from vehicles into stair-wells seems like a fun thing to fantasize about imo :slight_smile:
Perhaps when the construction changes come along eh? :slight_smile:

Incomplete z-level mode that makes creatures (and vehicles and fields like fire and active items like grenades) work on other z-levels.
Currently experimental and disabled by default because it can be buggy.

Oh so that what it actually does, good to know :slight_smile:

My previous base used a ‘vehicle’ shell along with a ridiculous amount of truck batteries and a solar array to provide round the clock refrigeration and lighting at night. I was planning on doing the same thing underground once I dug out a basement with a gas engine setup.

I noticed we have oil lamps yesterday though. Given the amount of tallow, tainted tallow, and cooking oil the average Survivor accumulates, would it be possible to make a constructable oil lamp post? It’d be just as efficient as a regular oil lamp, but be stationary and provide more light. Be a nice stop gap solution for lighting bases at night until we get a proper electrical system going.

Good idea.

Would be nice if you can construct a makeshift lamp. Like a bunch of pipes or a rebar, with a floodlight/flashlight attached, and a storage battery so you can feed batteries on it. Or maybe even add a solar panel. Like if it’s indoors the solar panel is assumed to be on the roof or something.

Well there IS the lightstrip. it only illuminates a few tiles, but it lasts for quite a while and is more than suitable for a newby survivors needs.

If you really plan creating an underground city you should instantly forget about idea of central power station. Currently available cables (jumper and heavy duty) are energy-transferring abominations. Jumper cable loses 5% of energy per tile and heavy duty one 10% per tile. You will lose nearly all of your energy within a map tile. So either consider creating an independent power generator for each building in the city or spawn Shiny Cable which has no energy loss altogether.

Or… Incorporate a massive “vehicle”-frame into your shelter instead of having to transmit power from one “vehicle” to another >_>

Not per tile, per connection.

Entire heavy-duty cable loses 10%, regardless of whether it is 20 tiles long or 1 tile long.