Is there a definitive fix for gettext errors?

I’ve followed the guide on the wiki, and found a few previous threads around here asking about it, but no matter what I do I can’t get the latest (git) version to compile. I get a string of linker errors which, as far as I can tell, are gettext related.

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "struct WINDOW * __cdecl newwin(int,int,int,int)" (?newwin@@YAPAUWINDOW@@HHHH@Z) C:\DDA-gat\msvc100\veh_interact.obj Cataclysm error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "int __cdecl wborder(struct WINDOW *,int,int,int,int,int,int,int,int)" (?wborder@@YAHPAUWINDOW@@HHHHHHHH@Z) C:\DDA-gat\msvc100\npctalk.obj Cataclysm

That’s just two of them, there are about 255. I’d really like to get a grasp of what’s causing this so I can write a more in-depth guide on how to fix it, but everything I’ve tried changes nothing. I’ve tried linking libintl.lib and intl.lib, nothing changed.

What compiler / IDE are you using?

Looks like MSVC, I’m not sure that project file has been kept up to date with the i18n stuff.

Yeah it haven’t been updated for months…

The only thing out of date about the msvc project is that it includes a file that’s since been deleted. I’ve tried cygwin (some of the gettext dependencies aren’t in the package list, so it doesn’t compile correctly) and mingw (even when I pass LOCALIZE=0 to the compiler, it still tries to find libintl files and generates a bunch of linker errors).

I would prefer to get it working in msvc though, since that’s the IDE I usually use.

Well, I’ve done everything. Put libintl dlls in the project directory, installed several different distributions of libintl/gettext, tried to compile using cygwin, mingw and visual studio (with library directories properly set for vs2012), used the makefile with the current build as well as this one, and changed every compiler flag I could find in every makefile for every compiler. Nothing works.

Am I alone in this? Can anyone else compile the newest build on windows? I’ve been programming for years and never once seen such a stubborn linker error. It does not want to work.

Ill download VS to see if I can figure something out.