Is it possible to edit skill levels?

I accidentally increased all skills of my character by 3 with debug*. That pretty much ruins this character for me. Is there any way to edit the skill levels manually?

• I was practicing sewing, sewing kit was at Z. Apparently missed the 'i’nventory key, pressed Z+a, suddenly I’m very talented in everything…

Not that I know of.

You could try opening up the character’s save file and finding where the skills are, but it’s a pretty large file with very little formatting.

You could use a third party program and freeze your exp pool and just rush tailoring.

3rd party programs are your best bet.

I use Cheat engine personally. Good for characters in generation, Skills and traits, but working in a running game is slightly harder.

It works well for the XP pool. Don’t freeze as the value changes location infrequently. It is just safer to just top up.

I know if you try and hack the inventory it bugs out like hell. Can’t drop small amounts of things or dup’ non-stackables.

Ammo is also fiddly.
Workable? yes.
Perfect? no.
Worth it? no.

It works if you need 1,000,000,000,000 batteries though. :smiley:

Don’t spawn 1,000,000,000,000 batteries

Thank you all for your answers. I’ll have a look at cheat engine, might be nice to have for experiments.

In case anyone else runs into a problem like this, my “solution”:
I switched out the current [character name].sav with an older backup, without changing any other files. I lost quite a bit of skill levels and all my inventory items, but my current storage and shelter is there, and explored areas and notes are visible on the map. I even could have saved my inventory items if I had dropped them all before switching out the .sav files.

You might also want to disable the debug menu in the keymap file when not using it.

This is pretty easy since the saves are plain text. Open [name].sav in a text editor and scroll down until you see the inventory list. You’ll see something like:

I 100 pockknife -1 0 0 0 0 null -1 0 0 0 -1 -1 -1 ''
I 97 matches 20 0 0 0 0 null -1 0 0 0 -1 -1 -1 ''
W 97 jeans -1 0 1073741824 0 0 null -1 0 0 0 -1 -1 -1 ‘’

Which indicates I have a pocket knife and matches in my inventory and I’m wearing jeans. The (very long) line just above the first item has your character’s stats. Activate word wrap and look for a sequence like:

81 81 81 81 81 81 81 81 81 81 81 81 5000 0 5000 0 5000 0 5000 0 5000 0 5000 0 5000 0 5000

The 81’s are maximum and current hitpoints for various body parts and the 5000’s are temperatures for those body parts (yours will be different obviously, but it should be in that ballpark). Immediately after the temperatures are your skill values. Each skill has 4 numbers assigned to it. The first number always appears to be ‘1,’ I don’t know what the 2nd number is, the 3rd number is your skill level, and I think the 4th number is the % progress to the next level. Then it repeats for the next skill and so on.

Incidentally, immediately after the skills are your recipes and then bionics. Immediately before your hit points are a very long sequence of mostly 0’s (most likely) that are binary variables indicating which perks/mutations you have.

edit: I made a slight mistake. The 4th number is always a ‘1.’ There were 3 leading 0’s after the temperature values that were apparently for the “null skill” that got removed yesterday. But it should be easy enough to figure out what’s what if you’re looking at your character sheet in one window and the save file in another.

[quote=“ejseto, post:8, topic:1154”]This is pretty easy since the saves are plain text. Open [name].sav in a text editor and scroll down until you see the inventory list. You’ll see something like:

I 100 pockknife -1 0 0 0 0 null -1 0 0 0 -1 -1 -1 ‘’
I 97 matches 20 0 0 0 0 null -1 0 0 0 -1 -1 -1 ‘’
W 97 jeans -1 0 1073741824 0 0 null -1 0 0 0 -1 -1 -1 ‘’[/quote]

Those names weren’t there last time I looked, neat.

81 81 81 81 81 81 81 81 81 81 81 81 5000 0 5000 0 5000 0 5000 0 5000 0 5000 0 5000 0 5000

The 81’s are maximum and current hitpoints for various body parts and the 5000’s are temperatures for those body parts (yours will be different obviously, but it should be in that ballpark). Immediately after the temperatures are your skill values. Each skill has 4 numbers assigned to it. The first number always appears to be ‘1,’ I don’t know what the 2nd number is, the 3rd number is your skill level, and I think the 4th number is the % progress to the next level. Then it repeats for the next skill and so on.

You are a Neo among plug heads. Either that or I am just lazy, I never bothered to figure that out.

[quote=“ejseto, post:8, topic:1154”]This is pretty easy since the saves are plain text. Open [name].sav in a text editor and scroll down until you see the inventory list. You’ll see something like:
[snip explanation][/quote]
Thank you, that is very helpful! The next time I mess something up I’ll know what to do :slight_smile: