Irrigation and wells

You can’t dig trenches in adventure mode, but if your fortress has water channels/floodgates/etc you can totally interact with them in adventure mode and they behave exactly as they should.

I once built a fortress with the sole purpose of going down into it as an adventurer and pulling a lever that would cause the whole facility to rapidly begin flooding, then see if I could make it out alive afterwards.

It worked perfectly, and I barely made it out of there. Super fun!

Craft: Large drill head.
Needs : 2x pipe, welder, hacksaw

Craft: Water pump
Needs : 2x pipe, 4x rubber hose, 2x scrap metal, hammer, hacksaw and screwdriver.

Construction: Waterwell

Stage 1 : Drilling base, 2 hours to build

20x two-by-four
hammer, woodsaw
40 nails

Stage 2-10 : 5 meters of drill depth per cycle
5x pipes
1x drillhead
1x footcrank
wrench
sledgehammer

Each 5 meters adds cumulative +10% chance to find water.
Each construction try has 10% chance to hit deep rock - if that happens drill bit will be destroyed 75% of time and well cannot be constructed deeper here.
Each construction try has 5%+depth/3 chance to destroy the drillhead, but you only need to supply other one.
Each construction try has 1%+depth/5 chance to stuck the drill permanently losing the well spot including the pipes (this cannot be unconstructed to recover items, except the drilling base wood and nails).

If water is found then just deconstruct the drilling base and (a)pply waterpump to finish well.

BUT. On each use well has 1% chance of drying up… unless its drilled below the first water found, for each 5 meters below “water level” the chances to dry out is reduced to 1/4th per each additional drilling depth, so it can become almost impossible for good well to dry out.

What about a simple system that does not have a “flowing water”…

I think it should work like this:
First, there is the Water block. Or tile. That tile is the one who has the water.
Now the z levels are going to be added, there will be added stealth system wich gives every terain thing a height. I remember having read this long before. So if that system gets added, it could work perfectly!

The water would, at first, work like the minecraft one.

1st block, water ehh… 8 height. Now it starts to spread. 1st 4 height (it cuts the quantity at half and spreads), 2nd 4 height (The second block is the block the water is spreading), then it keeps spreading, 1 tile at time, until it has 1 of water height, wich would be really low. More than 6 of height would start to drown you?

So, why like the Minecraft one? Because it spreads in all directions like if it was some kind of weird bacteria, and not like real water flow, but it simulates it pretty well IMO. But it is more realistic than the MC one because it is not infinite.

If Z levels get added, when there is more than 8 layers of water under some stairways, it should go up, but for evading world floods, it should be finite. Like, it can’t go very far from the stairways.

What with normasl water? It can’t work this way. Well, to be clear, IT DOES NOT IRL, because water can’t be there magically without spreading. So the water of lakes and river would have to be in pits. I mean, in some kind of hole like the one of the spiders. In another Z level, but you could see it. I think i am not explaining myself very good, but ok.

The water from those places would need an infinite spring of water that is always at 8 height, so it would fill. And it could work very good.

You can’t take out the water from there if you don’t make the pits.

Well, what you can do with all this system of water?

[ul][li]Create a house with a river bank protection
Create a water channel that goes straight to your house to provide an infinite source water
Make strategies for traps in labs and temples
Use the power of the water spreading system to hit enemies and even you while it spreads, causing more or less a good damage.
Making systems of defense in your house, and scape and autoflood systems
Making pipes really useful if you can pump from a side to another.
If you make a piping system that can go under walls, even more things could be added.
[/li][/ul]

Survival does not only mean to, being a little redundant, survive, it also means getting defenses, cars, a place for staying, things to do! Have you not seen the Outer Heaven Topic? People like to build, that is why Minecraft is so famous, and DF too.

The amount of things to do multiplies for 1000!