Inventory/Storage Rework

One problem I’ve encountered in-game, especially during the winter, is that it’s difficult for melee-centered characters to quickly drop encumbering items/clothes before combat because setting down and picking up a large number of items takes so long.

If items were actually stored in wearable items (clothing, backpacks) instead of just placed into total inventory, and worn items had individual storage instead of just adding to total numerical storage, the player would be able to drop a backpack in one turn and pick it up in another. Pressing (i) would bring up a list of worn clothing items, and the player would need to select the place that they wanted to look. Pressing [g] to pick up an item would open a similar screen in which the player would select the article in which the item would be placed. Pressing (e) and selecting a stack of items would bring up this clothing-list screen first, the player would select the article in which the items would be placed, and then the player could select individual items from the stack, and pressing (Enter) would place all of the items they selected from the stack into the inventory slot they selected.

I understand that this could get complicated quickly, especially when putting clothing items into the inventory, but this could be worked around by causing all clothing items to act as the waterskin does in the game, where when they contain items already, these items increase the amount of inventory space they take up. Therefore, if a player picked up a backpack in the world that contained items already, the amount of inventory that the backpack stored would be added as a straight number on top of the base number of inventory spaces that the backpack takes up, and if this was more than the player had available, they would need to wear the backpack and then empty it out with it on.

This could be interesting, if implemented, in that the player could find items in clothing items/storage articles, such as backpacks, coats, hoodies, ect., and it could make random pieces of clothing in houses and whatnot worth searching through for hardcore scavenger players.

Obviously this would complicate the inventory system and the game in general, but this seems like a pretty basic element that would add a lot of depth to the game.

I well understand that this would be difficult to put into the game, but I think it would definitely be worth the work and I would be working on it myself if I had any experience with coding, or if I had any idea as to how this could happen code-wise.

Someone is working on a mod for a container based storage.
You can already drop the equivalent of volume at the same time as you drop a container… meaning if you drop a rucksack that could hold 40 vol you are then able to drop any items up to a volume of 40 in the same action… you ll just have to manually pick up everything again taking longer… but it ll help a lot when preparing for a meele

Thanks for clarifying

I am working on something like this, as Valpo said.

It’s not a mod though, you can’t mod something like this as you need to change code itself, rather then just json files (and I doubt you can do it with LUA either). It will be either absorbed into main distribution, if deemed worthy, or I will have to keep it as separate download and keep it up-to-date.

Also, it will not be exactly as you are proposing. You said it yourself, it would complicate the inventory system and IMO too much for too little gain. On the other hand, having ability to store some items in separate space could be quite handy at times. So, I am aiming at having sort-of hybrid system. Clothing with pockets, like hoodies, trench coats, chest rigs and such will add to your general space area. It will not be required (and possible) for you to put everything you want to specific pocket. Some wearables though, mainly backpacks, will also function as containers. You will be able to specifically put stuff there and it will not get mixed with your other items. You will be able to drop entire backpack with everything in it, just like you described and grab it later.

Stage 1 - Container Inventory Management, that allows user to put thing (and not just liquids) into containers is already done. You can check it here, if you want to know more.

I dont see what problem this is actually solving.

There still going to be the same amount micro managing. Its just changing, where it happens.

You’re still going to need to individually select items to go into what containers. (This might even increase micro managing.) I fail to see how this is different then dropping individual items when needed. Especially since you get to drop Items Equal to Lost Volume for free in the same turn.

I also have to say, I’m not too found of not being able to maximum use of my volume and weight capability.

[quote=“MrWiggles, post:5, topic:7886”]I dont see what problem this is actually solving.

There still going to be the same amount micro managing. Its just changing, where it happens.

You’re still going to need to individually select items to go into what containers. (This might even increase micro managing.) I fail to see how this is different then dropping individual items when needed. Especially since you get to drop Items Equal to Lost Volume for free in the same turn.[/quote]

I am not entirely sure if you are reacting to my post or OP. In case it’s response to mine post:

If you are putting things into container instead of into inventory space itself, it is bit more micro management intensive, yes. If you need to drop the stuff once, which you usually do, if it is loot you don’t want to keep on yourself permanently, then it is less mm intensive. If you need to drop and later grab all items more than once, then I would say it is incredibly less mm intensive.

Though, main motivation for putting things into containers is (for me) that they do not clutter inventory screen as much as if you put them directly into inventroy. Right now, you pretty much have to stare on inventory screen and decide what items you want to keep and what to drop, which takes significant amount of time. With separate space, you know that you can drop pretty much everything that is inside. One of the reasons shopping carts are IMO so popular - separate space where you don’t need to decide every time you move stuff out of it if you critically need that item with you all the time or not.

Weight has nothing to do with it, and volume would be problem if every pocket had it’s separate space. If it is only few containers - especially non rigid containers, where volume is dynamically calculated, it is not an issue. And items that are worn are not taking any volume anyway.

It sounds great, Valpo! Also, yeah, having stuff appear un containers would be a nice but still far thing to hace.