Insane fuel consumption

It seems like since the 5910-ish version (very probably when the engine overhaul was done) gasoline consumption rate are off to the sky, cars, SUVs and basically every vehicle that runs on gasoline can empty a full tank in a couple of minutes (in game) of driving. Probably affects diesel vehicles too. Dunno about electric. Building your own vehicle has the same effect, engines drink 1-2 liters of fuel every 6 seconds

Yeah, it is from PR #19275.

Aabbcc, on the IRC channel, came up with this mod that fixes battery, gas and diesel consumption.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0btuC1DG_yxelBQOS1rT210TUE/view

Appears to be result of a bug in blazemod. There is a pending PR to correct this

thanks for bringing this up it was killing me

Why were a mod’s changes affecting the base game if said mod wasn’t activated?

Or did this issue just happen for those playing with blazemod on?

Everyone has a significant nerf to fuel efficiency. We’re working on making it more sensible.

Blazemod got an unintended nerf which caused its fuel efficiency to be 2% of the one in core.

As of 5933 vehicle batteries (on gasoline/diesel vehicles that is) are draining really quickly too, including when the engine is running.

This is only tangentially related to fuel efficiency per se, but I just spent something like three real hours walking around (build 5928), trying to find a working vehicle, and batteries have been a frustrating problem. Even when I found one such vehicle which miraculously had working controls, enough wheels and enough fuel, even if there’s a small percentage of energy in the battery (4-6%), it’s not enough to start up the engine! My objective was finding a decent battery to start up my original vehicle (RV), but I’ve found absolutely nothing in three hours of gameplay.

An alternative was finding a wrench so I could transfer a solar panel or two to the vehicle in question (or install a foot crank), but there was none to be found across a couple of tiny towns and a large mall, either.

Anyway, the battery charges start up requirement really needs to be tweaked because it appears to be completely incompatible with the amount of energy the overwhelming majority of vehicles spawn with. 4-6% should definitely be enough to at least get the engine going, assuming it’s in sufficiently working condition.

Cars often require upwards of 30% battery capacity in order to even consider starting, based on the numbers the game throws at me. Utterly ridiculous. Why does a battery with a capacity of 2500 need 925 to ignite? Do you know what the odds are of finding a battery with that much power in it just sitting around?

Zero. The answer is zero. Literally or effectively.

And with gasoline made of air vapors and burning just as fast, vehicles are literally unusable. All of them, all across the board, save for bikes, wheelbarrows, and shopping carts.

Even though I haven’t seen a 925-charge ignition requirement, it’s definitely off even with the more modest numbers I’ve seen, between 150 and 200. That’s 6+ percent of the usual 2500-charge car battery.

Here’s a bit of information which might shed some light on how to balance this:

SLI batteries are designed to release a high burst of amps for a short time (a starting sequence), and then be relatively quickly recharged from the equipment's charging system (alternator). [u]Typically, a starting sequence discharges less than 3% of the battery capacity[/u].

Source

As for the actual efficiency of gasoline, due to the aforementioned issue I can’t really comment on it, unfortunately.

[quote=“Wally-kun, post:9, topic:12979”]Cars often require upwards of 30% battery capacity in order to even consider starting, based on the numbers the game throws at me. Utterly ridiculous. Why does a battery with a capacity of 2500 need 925 to ignite? Do you know what the odds are of finding a battery with that much power in it just sitting around?

Zero. The answer is zero. Literally or effectively.

And with gasoline made of air vapors and burning just as fast, vehicles are literally unusable. All of them, all across the board, save for bikes, wheelbarrows, and shopping carts.[/quote]
Are you using blazemod? It had a bad definition.

The consumption rate is still horrible even after the blazemod definitions were fixed. Not as horrible as it was, but still pretty bad. According to one of Coolthulu’s previous posts they nerfed it a little too hard. Not sure why it needed a nerf to begin with really.

Greetings!

First post here. so first i’d like to say a big thank you to everyone who worked in making this game. You really made an amazing game.
And you keep doing it. so many updates!

So… I’m a relatively new player(couple of irl weeks) but i’m getting the hang of it. In my latest run i built my first death truck. I got a fire truck and heavily modified it. (mil plates, mil rams, turrets, cargo etc).
It was very heavy and couldn’t find a boom crane to add more wheels. Yesterday i finally found one, was in the middle of nowhere, on a vehicle.

I repaired said vehicle, got batteries for it, fuel, tanks etc. Parked my Death Truck near it and quit the game. Today was to be the big day when i finally finish my truck. (it’s 11+ tons now, ~1500L of cargo in it aswell)

So… for the first time, i found out there are lots of updates daily for the game, and installed the latest experimental. Happily i started the game. The time was near!
Only one of the 2 V8 engines worked, and it was named wankel now. My truck went from ~200km safe to 40 safe/top (30something after adding more wheels). Stuck in first gear. Well i find it more realistic than 200km, until i can make more engines work, or slap in a bigger one. To at least maybe get a better 60 or 100km maybe. (it is almost 12tons after all)
Sadly when i started adding the final touches with the boom crane, i forgot my truck’s engine on while i repaired. And didn’t check the fuel. Didn’t think it was a big deal but after i did some modifications and installed what i wanted to, i found my Death Truck(and mobile base) dead. No fuel at all. Had over 60L in it. Maybe 2-3 hours ingame time. It’s inside a garage so the 13solars are a bit useless for now aswell.

And… It’s in the middle of nowhere!
But it does have some stored energy though.

I guess i’m going back to old two feet adventuring for now, till a fix is made. even with the consumption fixed, 30something km per hour is a bit slow. Maybe i can salvage a bit of fuel to move it outside of the garage for the solars to work and that’s it for now.

I’ll be waiting for an update. I’m not complaining, it’s only my story. I’m very happy with, and i know of all the hard work people are putting into this.
Keep it up guys! game is awesome.

4-6% should definitely be enough
hmm… but not for winter season :slight_smile: and not for a diesel-motor.
for winter season need to as minimum 10-15 percents he-he…
because of diesel needs many power for heat up their glowplugs - and this - before the starting of turning up krankshaft.
winter - is not a fun.

if you see battery what is semi-died - all hope abandon ye - if winter here.