Car battery draining

So I repaired a police car and used it to move around. Then I noticed that it keeps draining the battery empty even when lights and police lights are turned off.

What keeps draining the power? While I can just leave engine turned on to keep engine generating energy but this consumes gasoline.

Car battery is yellow so its bit damaged. Could this cause battery to be losing charge?

yes, damaged storage devices leak. This includes batteries, so it will lose its charge over time.

Thanks, I increased my mechanics and was able to repair the battery.

Another question: does damaged engine consume more fuel?

Thanks, I increased my mechanics and was able to repair the battery.

Another question: does damaged engine consume more fuel?[/quote]
No but it causes the vehicle to not be able to go as fast.

Yes they do.
Damage decreases power output, so the engine will burn more fuel to keep up the same speed.

wouldn t that be indicated in the cars overview.
The fuel use can be looked up.
So if it changes shouldn t the value shown change.
or is there a hidden value that we do not see that simulates differing fuel use depending on how much i accelerate?

[quote=“Valpo, post:6, topic:8919”]wouldn t that be indicated in the cars overview.
The fuel use can be looked up.
So if it changes shouldn t the value shown change.
or is there a hidden value that we do not see that simulates differing fuel use depending on how much i accelerate?[/quote]
The fuel use is per single acceleration/speed adjustment (I think it’s used as percentage when cruising depending on how much you need to accelerate, not sure), damaged engine has lower acceleration, therefore it uses more fuel to accelerate to certain speed with identical fuel use (per acceleration).

Interesting.

Now important would be how much fuel is used while maintaining the same spoeed including not moving at all.

It sounds like the fueluse doesn t change at all. You just need more fuel because the trip takes longer with a damaged engine.

If you’re using cruise control, you use more fuel to maintain same speed.
If you don’t use cruise control, each burst of speed is smaller, meaning you need to accelerate more times.

Even at the same speed, fuel usage goes up.

Also, fuel usage to maintain alternators will go up.

But is this shown in the cars overview?
And what does the figure in the overview mean then? Is it:
1 fuel spend while idle.
2 fuel spend while cruising.
3 fuel spend when accelerating
4 all of that

and ewhat does a damaed engine effect? 1,2,3 or 4?

I could just go test it i guess. Yet seeing the exact spend fuel would be a bit tedious :smiley:

That’s kiiiinda what I’m saying. Not longer, but the engine has to work more to achieve same speed/travel time, and therefore more fuel is factually lost despite the identical fueluse stat.

Acceleration stat: the lower it is, the more fuel engine will burn through to get to speed, because fuel usage is per [acceleration] units accelerated.

[quote=“Valpo, post:10, topic:8919”]3 fuel spend when accelerating
and ewhat does a damaed engine effect? 1,2,3 or 4?

I could just go test it i guess. Yet seeing the exact spend fuel would be a bit tedious :D[/quote]
This, nothing - it affects acceleration and safe/maximum speeds, and debug mode shows the actual numbers behind the percentages.

So the a damaged motor doesn t effect fuel use.

It effects acceleration.

/summary

[quote=“Valpo, post:10, topic:8919”]1 fuel spend while idle.
2 fuel spend while cruising.
3 fuel spend when accelerating
4 all of that[/quote]

1 and 2 more directly, 3 less directly.

1 is affected because lower power causes the alternator to use up more fuel.
2 is affected because accelerating by x now costs more.
3 is less affected because each “burst” of speed costs about the same as before, but not only you need to accelerate more times, but also are much more likely to strain the engine which drains power like mad.

Fuel drain formula is: base fuel drain * (power used / max engine power). Damage decreases max engine power and thus fuel drain has to go up in most cases.

Did you code dive for that information ?

Does a motor then use power if it has no alternator installed?

Would that mean it doesn t use fuel in that case?

[quote=“Valpo, post:14, topic:8919”]Did you code dive for that information ?

Does a motor then use power if it has no alternator installed?

Would that mean it doesn t use fuel in that case?[/quote]

Yeah, I did code dive for that. Not right now, but nothing changed since I last checked this.

An active motor uses fuel even with no alternator. All active motors use 1% of their max power OR the minimum power required to power all the alternators. This is independent from the power they use to actually move the vehicle (so if you use 3% for alternators, you can still use 100% to drive).

One fuel usage that actually doesn’t increase is alternator-less idling (just sitting and spewing smoke) engine. Since the above 1% cap depends on max power (which is lowered for damaged engines), this means that it scales down with damage. It doesn’t mean damaged engines use less fuel at idle, only that they don’t use more.

1% for all engines is less then 1.

for example if the use was 7 : 7*1/100 = 0.07 the motor would use up 0.07 nnuts of fuel per increment if idle and not using an alternator.

So the motor can use up fractions of a unit of fuel.

Fascinating i thought it would always at least use 1 unit every turn.

[quote=“Valpo, post:16, topic:8919”]1% for all engines is less then 1.

for example if the use was 7 : 7*1/100 = 0.07 the motor would use up 0.07 nnuts of fuel per increment if idle and not using an alternator.

So the motor can use up fractions of a unit of fuel.

Fascinating i thought it would always at least use 1 unit every turn.[/quote]

If fuel usage goes below 1, this value isn’t stored in any way but is used as a random chance instead.
For example, if your plutonium reactor uses 0.001 of plutonium per turn, it has a 0.1% chance of using plutonium unit in any turn.

Due to how statistics work, this adds up as expected. 10% chance for 1000 turns usually results in about 100 units.

thx for the info coolthulhu.

Yeah, thanks for info. Nice to get more in depth information on the subject.