I'm Having Trouble Surviving (long term)

[quote=“vultures, post:17, topic:7156”]a) Well, you can certainly try and stay out of harm’s way after you’ve covered all the necessities;
b) You need to cover all the survival aspects - a warm safehouse, food and water sources;[/quote]

A warm safehouse? I thought that the only way to get warm was warm clothes.

He means get a temp base going. Once you’ve got your stuff, either go nomad or maje a perma base. I like bases :3

One of the main problems I face is not being able to survive against enemies.

Lure them into bushes and windows until you can take them on without them.

use tailoring to reinforce your clothes, and to repair damaged clothes. clothing will take hits that would otherwise mess you up, and they have some soak value which lets them absorb damage entirely in certain circumstances. you can make a needle with fab one and survival one out of either bones, splinters, or wood skewers(apply a knife to a stick), and your starting shelter has 16 sheets which total up to 320 rags, which in turn can be disassembled for thread to use in the needle. practice sewing on your intact clothes(move on to another item if something gets damaged), and don’t try to repair anything until tailoring gets to level 2 or 3, certainly if anything hard to replace gets down to tattered just set it aside until you can get 6-7 in tailoring.

eventually with enough bones, leather, chitin or fur and enough skill you can start making real armor, but expendable clothing like the various warmers, socks,stockings, and so on are also good at taking hits.

Lure them into bushes and windows until you can take them on without them.
and set those bushes on fire if things get too dicey. animals may step out of it now, but it can usually knock them out of hostile and back into tracking, likewise you can keep the bush between you and the enemy while you throw stuff at him.
A warm safehouse? I thought that the only way to get warm was warm clothes.
A warm place to sleep + A safe place to stay [i]Equals[/i] A Warm Safehouse.

If you haven’t had freshly grinded coffee with moonshine in the morning, wearing only slippers and bath robes then you’ve been hiding from Cataclysm. :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess this is a tiny bit off topic, but its better than posting another topic, so here goes.

I was approaching a military outpost and a turret onw shotted my leg. Now it says “That leg is broken. It needs surgical attention.” What does that mean?

Craft a split and wear it for a while, or drag yourself to a hospital and find the stemcell treatment there.

[quote=“Sneak, post:27, topic:7156”]I guess this is a tiny bit off topic, but its better than posting another topic, so here goes.

I was approaching a military outpost and a turret onw shotted my leg. Now it says “That leg is broken. It needs surgical attention.” What does that mean?[/quote]

Exactly what it says. You’ll need some sort of leg-mending gear to fix your leg. A splint would help, but that’ll leave you laid up for a week or two while it heals. Maybe there’s something useful in a hospital?

KA101 looks like he’s been Ninja’d. But wait! He’s got a volt cage! captures Ninja

Motherfu- Damn you Ka! Not agaiiinnnnn!

Rollerblades are great for raiding towns. Just about nothing will outrun you (maybe nothing, I usually play on classic zombies and haven’t been outrun in rollerskates yet) unless you accidentally walk onto grass.

better scout cirty and loot at night because during looting at day you can end in building with loot of hostilles and no escape

better scout cirty and loot at night because during looting at day you can end in building with loot of hostilles and no escape[/quote]
or take it slow. (i’m assuming static spawn)
start in the outskirts during the day. use windows & shrubs to slow down and kill Zeds. clear houses when the area is getting relatively safe, then go deeper into town.

Yup, take it slow, clear the Zs, take the stuff, put it somewhere convenient, heal and rest as needed

better scout cirty and loot at night because during looting at day you can end in building with loot of hostilles and no escape[/quote]

Roller skates don’t stop working at night, and the only time I’ve ever been surrounded wearing them was at night, because A.) I’d never been in the interior of a megastore before and didn’t expect the sheer amount of zombies there, and B.) I couldn’t see what I was getting in the middle of because it was night.

Zombies follow you, and they are way slower than you in rollerskates, you can just get them all chasing you away from the pawnshop, take them a couple blocks away, and then zip on back, go in, grab what you want, and leave. Repeat as necessary.

When you raid houses, close the curtains on the windows in each room before going for items, zombies won’t come after you if they don’t see you, and closing curtains is much faster than boarding up windows.
Corollary: If they see you before you can close the curtain, grab the important stuff and bolt, or just flee, especially if you haven’t found a good weapon yet. The items will still be there when the zombies have left, and even the most minor injuries can spell death if you haven’t gotten enough supplies yet.

Whats a good starting weapon?

Heavy sticks. Quaterstaffs. Makeshift crowbars/crowbars. Pointy sticks. Pipes. Slings/slingshots.

That’s just off the top of my head though…

[quote=“Sneak, post:37, topic:7156”]Whats a good starting weapon?[/quote]Anything and everything. Throwing is probably the safest form of combat at first, since in order to hit an enemy in melee you have to get close enough for them to hit you back, plus it’s much quieter than guns.

for my last char it was the fire axe!
started as “the last firefighter”, killed all the firefighter Z’s of the station, and got their axes.
after that, life’s good.