Illegal instruction on debian

i get “Illegal instruction” on launching cataclysm
i cant compile it because i have only 128mb ram on my old laptop, what to do?

Stop smuggling guns and narcotics dammit! You should be clean after that.

Not enough info to diagnose your problem.
If you can configure your system to make a core dump and provide the exact version of the program we can probably figure out what it is.

its linux consle version from main page, i extract tar type ./cataclysm and i get illegal instruction
i have all libs installed

debian version, cpu type? cdda version?

inux Version 3.2.0-4-686-pae
Compiled #1 SMP Debian 3.2.57-3
497MHz Intel Pentium III Processor, 128M RAM

Still need debian version to reproduce it… 6.x? 7.x? 8.x?
Still need CDDA version

debian 7.5 cdda 0.A

Same problem here on ubuntu 2.6.32-38-generic. I suspect gcc version (gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5.1) 4.4.3) as i can play from that same ubuntu installation but chrooting to an Archlinux (gcc (GCC) 4.9.1) i installed on a usb key. I have some graphics missing though (objects not showing: it seems that an image file for those objects/monsters couldnt be found).
I compiled the git version (2014-08-09 17:55) with SDL.

Turns out that the git version works in the Arch USB key but not the compiled versions (SDL and ncurses). My CPU is an old “AMD Athlon™ XP 2400+”. Might it be due to the fact that it doesnt support SSE2 and above? I have similar problems with other compiled packages (i guess they are compiled with SSE2+ flags enabled).

The only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps we’re building for 64 bit architecture now. As far as I know we’re not using any options that restrict what systems it can run on.

Output of ‘file’ command on cataclysm executable:

cataclysm: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=c8cab0ae6369d23c11da4dd68577b7625f7ee321, stripped

It’s a 32bit executable.