If I wanted to just to add specific parts from the latest ver to stable would it be "easier" to just package them into a mod, or simply patch in the files directly to the base code?

So i’m really liking alot of the buildable furniture additions from the latest build as well as some of the mutations, but i’m not a fan of the lag and constant crashing (and going through all the new stuff to fix them would not only risk spoilers, but also take alot of time/testing).
If I wanted to custom tailor my version to add some things to the stable build would it be simpler to just cut and paste into the “base” code, or to add them as a mod to just simply “tack in” some features.

Should I just go to the basic json folders and edit from there, or simply just take choice selections from the “new” code and put them into a mod folder?

If the latter, how exactly does the game “recognize” a mod? Do I need to put some code in the beginning of the file to label it a mod, or does it just read the folder names in the “mod” folder and add in the adjustments from there? (e.g. just putting my “choice cuts” into a folder named “my mod” then placing that in the mod folder)

The CDDA team doesn’t really do backporting of bugfixes or other patches, but I imagine that’s less an intentional rule than a case where nobody feels like doing it so it doesn’t happen.

This is the sort of thing git cherry-pick is made for, though. You can use it to get the changes from a specified commit on the experimental branch, and git will try to apply it to your current (0.D stable) branch.
In some cases it will probably just work automatically. If the code it applies to has moved too much, you might have to figure out where it went and adjust things so it can apply the patch. In worse cases, you may run into something like a function that’s been rewritten and takes new parameters, or more extreme changes that would require the patch to be massaged a bit or rewritten entirely. You know, if you felt like it – or you could just skip it.

take in account that sometimes there is a massive rewrite of something, like the most recent one with the items id. It jumbled a lot of mods (in my case the arcana mod and the vampire stuff). so lets say you want to backport items, you would need to kind of rewrite them back,e ven if they are from the base game

You can backport to stable whatever you want, but amount of work can be huge and not feasible for a single person. If you have necessary skills and spare time, I suggest working on bugfixing instead.

1 Like

I’d just keep updating until you get a good experimental. Every day or two, that is. I usually stick with a version for a couple of months before I start trying to update, for exactly this reason.

so to answer my latter question do I need to add any special things to the files to make sure the game “understands” it a mod? Because I guess it would just be easier to test individual items I want one at a time, than trying to fix the whole thing.
However when it comes to adding things I don’t see anything special just the usual code
[
{“id”:“blah blah”
“type”:“blah blah”
#etc, etc, etc
“FLAGS” : [ETC, ETC, ETC]
},
{
#same stuff rinse and repeat
}
]

is this correct in simplified terms for what I need to do, besides making the file names match what I want like “item_types”, “vehicles”, “construction”?

I’d say that there is no single answer to this, but that it’s a technically interesting question (and that most answers to it will lead upstream against the current of futility - but also include a lot of learning). I’d attempt whatever is most fun to you.

Definitely grab a copy of CLion whatever you do.

If what you want is only json and does not rely at all on new c++ feature then yes do that

I’m a programmer, but I never seriously touched C/C++ Is there any guide how to set up CLion and be able to debug running game with tiles enabled? I normally compile experimental when just playing with make -j16 TILES=1 SOUND=1 RELEASE=1 CCACHE=1 CLANG=1 LTO=1 ZLEVELS=1 LOCALIZE=0 ASTYLE=1 so how can I attach CLion debugger to game, or just run debug build? I ask because sometimes I have exceptions, they are nicely handled by game, but still it would be nice to see what broke under the hood, and maybe fix it.

PS Sorry for hijacking thread, move it somewhere if needed.

Do not build with RELEASE=1 and use DEBUG=1 instead.

Good question. I should write something up.

So far it was way easier to set up VS 2017 and run game with debugger on Windows, than on Linux. My overall experience with my work stuff was always, that setting stuff on Windows is doable, but simply not worth it from the time/knowledge cost perspective.

I’d really appreciate if you wrote a how to, or guide for setting up Clion with debugger for CDDA :slight_smile: