I want the time back

Hey Apathetic, i couldn’t find the right build myself, but oh did i find a gem.

It runs EXTREMELY fast. The menus, that now are a slog for me, work like a charm. So responsive. I opened a save and Thuztor’s @ tileset was put there. Such nostalgia!

I won’t use it -i do like a lot of the changes since that version- but man it’s so funny to see it.

[quote=“flergh_666, post:1, topic:12588”]…that I spent downloading this. Bereft of purpose, point, objectives, or any feeling of reward or enjoyment. Because it’s so utterly beyond
intuitive mechanics even for a lifelong gamer & roguelike enthusiast, I had read countless tutorials & watched YouTube videos just to START a game.
I thought surely such complicated game-play had to imply commensurate depth & an ultimately satisfying experience -= eventually. Nope, just a continual building frustration & awareness of an ever-increasing list of activities preferable to this game, such as holding my breath until I faint or die, or gauging an eye out with a spoon.
I just can’t believe anyone anywhere actually spends time on this. Have fun. Or whatever y’all get out of this.[/quote]

I do think that the UI might need some help but I’m not a heavy retrogamer and I figured it out easily enough.

1. get stuff
  2. make things
  3. don’t die

Now that I’ve read further, I actually do agree that the additional mods, etc did throw me off at first. It might be helpful to just have a message akin to “pick this for default world creation” and just go from there. There’s definitely a bit of technical OCD going on here, and I suspect that there’s an unusual high proportion of tech people here playing our fantasies of surviving the end of the world.

My wife, who isn’t very technical and enjoys the game, mentioned that as well that she felt that a lot of the game was oddly unintuitive. It certainly became a bar from her to play it, until I altered the game for her and walked her through it. Her efforts to make a Japanese anime schoolgirl and repeat Highschool of the Dead are still being frustrated though, so I’ve been editing the JSON to support it.

[quote=“StopSignal, post:41, topic:12588”]Hey Apathetic, i couldn’t find the right build myself, but oh did i find a gem.

It runs EXTREMELY fast. The menus, that now are a slog for me, work like a charm. So responsive. I opened a save and Thuztor’s @ tileset was put there. Such nostalgia!

I won’t use it -i do like a lot of the changes since that version- but man it’s so funny to see it.[/quote]

Gah, I forgot to look. Tonight, I promise.

And that is a gem. Oldschool.

I still have my 1994 0.A build.
I have yet to open its contents and peek inside

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:4, topic:12588”]Back in my time we would start the game by just checking keybinds.
What kind of a shit-tier “roguelike enthusiast” has a problem with DDA?

I blame roguelites for teaching kids that Bindings of Isaac and Faster Than Light are the same genre as Poschengband and Nethack.[/quote]

+1.

It’s a problem with the new generation. If it doesn’t have flashing colors and blinking lights they can’t stay focused.

Aw c’mon let’s not go blaming the new generation. They’re going to outlive us anyway.

And tbh Binding of Isaac is ridiculously popular, so I have to imagine it’s doing something right. The more gaming genres the better.

[quote=“Pthalocy, post:46, topic:12588”]Aw c’mon let’s not go blaming the new generation. They’re going to outlive us anyway.

And tbh Binding of Isaac is ridiculously popular, so I have to imagine it’s doing something right. The more gaming genres the better.[/quote]

I think it’s more a problem of this supposedly “newer” generation not really knowing what they’re getting into with the roguelike genre. It’s kind of the equivalent of playing a bunch of Beat Em’ Up games, picking up a Fighting Game because you think it will be similar, and then going on the Street Fighter IV forum and whining about how basic Fighting Game mechanics like Combo’s and Cancels are too complicated.

Thats humans in general.

I think it’s not a problem about the games themselves, like what, it’s just a game, just different rules. The problem is that some people aren’t mature enough to take them as that and not take them as some kind of Holy Thing. It baffles me how serious people take stuff like consoles and computers, brands and companies, genres etc.

Games are here just to be played, enjoyed and celebrated, they are just that. But some people will turn tables over just because X game does X thing different. Damn. It’s just for certain people I guess. If you don’t like it, go play something that you do! Don’t waste time fighting.

If you paid money for the game and you feel you have the right to be mad, well, unless it’s a software problem, the one at fault is you for not researching enough!

I think the problem is that social media has given many people an unwarranted sense of validation and self-importance. I am without a decent understanding of the topic but i feel strongly about it.

This may interest you.

And when two different echo chambers bump into one another, it can get ugly fast. Hard to know what’s fair when both parties have completely different reference points for what their discussing/arguing.

Anyway, I’m going to close this thread, as it has wandered from a user’s initially angry venting (and later, calm informed explaining their venting), to something vaguely blaming the youth for what’s wrong with gaming these days. I don’t think that’s a rabbit hole we need to stick our heads down, not on the heels of the vent that opened this.

If someone else would like to start a new thread to discuss ways of perhaps consolidating differences between gaming groups desires for CDDA’s development, by all means! It is good to review how the game balances ease-of-access with granularity-of-options/game mechanics, and consider if it caters well to both us and newcomers.