I can’t remember how to add pedals to a vehicle

It’s been a long time since I’ve done this, and I can’t for the life of me remember how to do it. If I recall correctly, NPCs can also pedal if where they’re sitting has pedals.
I took off the pedals from a different bike and got a chain. I don’t seem to be able to turn that into pedals at all though.
I’ve tried to place them on just a frame, just frame with wheels and the wheel base thing, and everywhere else on my vehicle. When searching I can’t even find the option to put it on. I can’t remember exactly what they were called right now but I did get it right when I was searching.
I figure with 2 Mechanics I can put on pedals. I also have every tool needed for any of the basic vehicle stuff. Welding mask, welding torch, etc.
Even in my crafting menu I can’t find the option to make it.

I’ve never added pedals to anything (and am fairly new as well), but the pedals are called foot crank (I think I’ve found some lying on the road).

In addition to that, I’d expect them to go directly on the frame, in which case any started vehicle consisting of just a frame should have it in the list (greyed out if not available), although adding stuff to a frame can block other things (so they won’t appear in the list), so I’d start with just a frame.

Note that components that are destroyed result in some of its components when removed from a vehicle, and a foot crank is made from:

• 1 pipe
  • 2 chunks of steel or 6 scrap metal
  • 1 steel chain
    so that’s probably where your chain came from.

Foot cranks require a mechanical skill of 1 to make, by the way (although I don’t know where the recipe came from, but I’ve never made any and have it in memory).

Also, it is worth noting that if you play the experimental build foot cranks are no longer craftable.

I do indeed play experimental

As Junknown pointed out, they are no longer craftable, and as PALU suspected, you probably took off a broken (XX) pedal which only returns part(s)…

As for installing them in a vehicle, they are called foot pedals, are located in the Internal category, require a foot crank, mechanics skill of 0, a tool with bolt turning of 2 and are installed onto any kind of frame (information accurate as of build version 0.E-10998).
Also, there can only be one installed pedals per vehicle.