How to update game installed through package manager (Manjaro Linux)?

I’ve installed the tiles version of the game through my package manager (Octopi) on Manjaro Linux.
It shows Version 0.E.2-1 and Build Date Saturday, May 30, 2020 8:13:31 PM CDT.
In the main menu of the game it shows Version: 0.E.
The game_report/debug.log says I’m running Game Version: 0.E [64-bit].

Will the package manager send me notifications to update the game or do I need to manually update it in terminal? If I need to update it in terminal what do I need to do?

As far as I can tell it depends on who is manually updating the package and it seems no experimental variations have been uploaded to the servers(manjaro, not CDDA). Plus I’ve played hell trying to get different flavors to function to no avail.

You could try this though
sudo pacman -S cataclysm-dda-tiles

or swap the word pacman to pamac or whatever manager you use into the terminal and check back to tell me if that works.

It just says it’s reinstalling the game.

warning: cataclysm-dda-tiles-0.E.2-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) cataclysm-dda-tiles-0.E.2-1

Total Installed Size:  22.81 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 

Guessing its a typo then from whoever upped it to the manjaro servers. The size seems a tad small. Does it work?

It does. I looked at the game folder and it’s 785 MB.
How do you install the stable release in terminal?

I used to install the game with:

#!/bin/bash

repo=("/home/satjwu/Cataclysm-DDA")

git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/releases/tag/0.E
cd "${repo}"
make -j8 RELEASE=1 TILES=1 SOUND=1 LUA=1 USE_XDG_DIR=1
./cataclysm-tiles

and update it with:

#!/bin/bash

repo=("/home/satjwu/Cataclysm-DDA")

cd "${repo}"
git pull
make clean
make -j8 RELEASE=1 TILES=1 SOUND=1 LUA=1 USE_XDG_DIR=1
./cataclysm-tiles

and this was and still is installing/updating the experimental version of the game.
I’ve tried changing RELEASE to 0,2,3, but when I run the script it just launches the game from my current installation.
The package manager installation is located in /usr/share/cataclysm-dda/

Honestly I don’t remember. Using to many different operating systems lately :roll_eyes:

Kept testing different ones till I touched one I could install most of my crap and set/forget.

Maybe someone else will chime in with help. Sorry.

Isn’t it “sudo pacman -R name-of-package”?

I mean how do you install the game with github’s git and make commands in terminal.
The reason I’m asking is so that I can just run my update script to update the game to the latest stable release without having to manually download the latest package.

0.E-2 is the latest stable release, pacman is up to date.

Good.
If another stable release was uploaded my package manager should update the game right?

Depends on which flavor of linux and if assuming you have auto updates set to be on. Normally though, at least in 2 months of Manjaro. I’ve had to manually grab everything, even when I had my manager check. But since the stable hardly ever gets updated. I wouldn’t worry much.

The next time you do a system update or whatever Manjaro does, pacman should grab it, yes.

Oops, I misread “uninstall the stable package.” Heh. Your script looks fine, it should work, I’m not sure how it could be running the install from your package manager.