How to maximize the value of setting a house on fire?

I have read in many places that setting a house on fire is a good way to clear a whole section of a town.

I must be doing something wrong, because I am not seeing that work at all.

I set a house on fire, and move away quickly … eventually, I start hearing smashing sounds, so I guess I am not leaving the reality bubble range of the house, but I dont see all the zeds streaming towards the sounds.

On the other hand, a screamer zombie draws every zed within a billion miles on to my position.

Don’t go too far. Hide nearby and wait like an hour or more.

One thing I kind of want to try now is setting up minimalistic a stereo system in the middle of a house. Or maybe a car alarm. Next, rig some remote explosive, preferrably so that it starts a fire…

You may have had just bad luck. Zeds may have been busy smashing cars or something.

im sure i read there was a way to increase the reality bubble size.
if not it would be awesome to have this as an optoin maybe?
and if we did get it as an optoin have a massive warning saying will impact performance

No.

Reality size bubble is hardcoded and directly related to slowdown. No way to increase it fron simple option modding.

But, to max you returns for burning a house.

• Make it dark. nighttime besttime because LoS hunting overrides sound hunting

• Loot it first, preferably.

• Start a fire and attract the nearest zombies by making noise or being seen. Kill them if you can.

• Try to lure the local zombies into the house as it starts to really catch. Be seen.

• Run out the back way

• into a new house or other sheltered location. You want top reduce LoS to you, and smell too. Closing doors, staying away from windows, etc. Bet your bottom dollar that standing 5 tiles away from a closed door and right next to it makes a difference for smell strength.

• Stay in reality bubble, as close as possible.

• Bonus points if you hide in the basement of the house with Zlevels on when this happens. Youll be safe as long as you stay quite and dont go upstairs as long as there is noises.

the above will remove local zombies, and even take care of a lot of hordes for the time being.

[quote=“pisskop, post:4, topic:13023”]No.

Reality size bubble is hardcoded and directly related to slowdown. No way to increase it fron simple option modding.

But, to max you returns for burning a house.

• Make it dark. nighttime besttime because LoS hunting overrides sound hunting

• Loot it first, preferably.

• Start a fire and attract the nearest zombies by making noise or being seen. Kill them if you can.

• Try to lure the local zombies into the house as it starts to really catch. Be seen.

• Run out the back way

• into a new house or other sheltered location. You want top reduce LoS to you, and smell too. Closing doors, staying away from windows, etc. Bet your bottom dollar that standing 5 tiles away from a closed door and right next to it makes a difference for smell strength.

• Stay in reality bubble, as close as possible.

• Bonus points if you hide in the basement of the house with Zlevels on when this happens. Youll be safe as long as you stay quite and dont go upstairs as long as there is noises.

the above will remove local zombies, and even take care of a lot of hordes for the time being.[/quote]

Won’t all of the noise cause more hordes to spawn?

And they go right into the fires. Hordes are not infinite. And they take time to travel and spawn locally

Just pulled this off today. It was pretty close and involved a huge fight, but I managed to survive a fight with a horde with my NPC friend, who sadly did not survive due to faulty headware. Kind of sad, we were together a long time. We planned to loot a gun store and there was a horde right next door. Killed the, all.

So then I realized that there’s a hundred unpulped bodies in this room with me, the building is in sorry shape, and you know what’s right across the street, spawned in from gunfire? Yep, another horde.

So I said “fuck that” and torched the place. What ammo I couldn’t carry blew up, brought in the horde, and I just walked around on the far side as the walls came down and walked them through the fire. About 3 made it over to me and were promptly cut down.

So not 1 but 2 hordes were put down permanently here. Emptied the whole city, and it’s a pretty big city. So now I just need to fix my leg and I’m good as gold.

Short version to burning housing down:

Multiple fire inside and crowbar a few walls for noise. herd the buggers inside and chill in an area far enough to now take damage from the blaze till its rubble. No other good way since like was mentioned, the bubble is pretty small.

To bad the core engine isn’t 64bit in the sense it can benefit from all the new tech to make crap faster and balanced over multiple cpu cores.

Multiple threads that take advantage of multicore is a totally separate enhancement from massive memory footprints that benefit from 64-bit memory addressing. They’re not at all related.

CDDA supports a lot of platforms, from beefy multicore 64-bit workstations with 16+ gigs of memory to dinky little raspberry pis. Optimizing the game for the big platforms might make it unplayable on the smaller platforms. Not to mention being a huge hassle for the developers. I’d prefer CDDA stay single-threaded and small memory footprint.