How do you permanently increase stats?

I always have trouble for chars, do I want high strength and to step on a mine, or to hack that millitary base for the first time and die from a rat? How does one permanently increase a base stat so you don’t have to get addicted to codeine for high perception or cocaine to read that book?

[me=Mrnocamera]pours six shots of a green liquid into a revolver chamber.[/me]
MUTAGEN ROULETTE!

Its easy with strength, just be tipsy all the time.

If you get lucky with a Granade, it’ll BUFF your stats (or NERF, but that’s the risk you take). There are the handful of stat CBMs (+2 each). Mutagens as mentioned above. Drugs for temporary boosts where needed. Changing your initial char points setting from the debug options is the easiest way if you’re struggling to compromise, though.

Note the Granade, not the Grenade.
It makes a difference.

You can also cheat a little and give yourself more points to play with during char gen. I feel its less cheaty if you up the enemy spawns and drop the loot drops a little.

Mutations (hold off until you can craft alpha serum if you want to play it low risk), bionics, and granades, though personally I don’t use granades and don’t think they should be in the game, except perhaps as a very, very rare easter egg. Otherwise try stimulants (adderall and cocaine are very good). If you find yourself wanting for more stat points from the word go and having a really hard time with the game, try building your character differently; take more negative traits that won’t impact you too much, maybe pick a profession that gives you another stat point to play with, etc.

Grenades will change your stats, however.

Usually to around the 3-4 range.

You’ll also be dead.

Through mutations and bionics, you can increase your character’s stats by about 9 points each (There are bionics that increase each stat by 2, and the Insane stat mutations upgrade your stats by 7; 5 if you go with the Alpha threshold). Honestly I feel the default 6 point buy is too low, so I increased my point buy to 24. It makes your character more well-rounded.

Thanks for the info.

24 points… well-rounded… !?

I play with the standard 6 points, I also play with 10x monster spawns and 0.3x item spawns. My character can carry over 60kg of gear without breaking a sweat, he went from not knowing how to browse the web to being able to hack military supercomputers in about a week. He can dodge arrows with about 50% success rate and lift a v8 engine over his head. This is without any bionics or mutations.

I sometimes like to imagine what being in a real zombie apocalypse would be like. If my pack irl is over 30kg my walking distance per day is severely affected, and without a proper tramping/military pack that goes down to like 15kg. I am not telling you how to play the game, whatever you enjoy is great, this is more a grammar nazi complaint. You wrote ‘well-rounded’ but you meant ‘UBER’.

Uniformly overpowered? :smiley:

While it is rather funny he’s playing off the point buy as being well-rounded and not supplementing his likely lack of skill at the game, I think we all rather knew that 24 points was very, very high.

As a side note, mutagen roulette should really just be the answer to everything. Because it really is the answer to everything except perhaps “how do I craft things?”.

Granades should be a very, very rare easter egg. If you are finding them often enough to base a play style on them (more then 0-1 per longer game) than that means they are currently too common.

[quote=“Nubsawce, post:13, topic:5478”]While it is rather funny he’s playing off the point buy as being well-rounded and not supplementing his likely lack of skill at the game, I think we all rather knew that 24 points was very, very high.

As a side note, mutagen roulette should really just be the answer to everything. Because it really is the answer to everything except perhaps “how do I craft things?”.[/quote]
Lack of skill? Maybe he just enjoys playing it differently than you, this game has several categories of players, theres the base builder and crafters, the muty freaks, the bionic freaks, the super roleplayers, the all around types and then theres just casual gamers who tend not to really care for roguelikes but see this game crossing over into many other genres and play it due to certain likes and dislikes about the game, but to claim he probably has no skill is rather rude. He’s just playing the game his own way.

It’s a crapshoot (Although a rewarding one to)

Search for artifacts in a temple, or a mine finale. You can sometimes find artifacts that give a permanent bonus to your stats just by way of being in your inventory. Sometimes it must be wielded, but that can be a good thing! It can also cause unwanted netherworld attention, so handle with care!

[quote=“Alpha, post:15, topic:5478”][quote=“Nubsawce, post:13, topic:5478”]While it is rather funny he’s playing off the point buy as being well-rounded and not supplementing his likely lack of skill at the game, I think we all rather knew that 24 points was very, very high.

As a side note, mutagen roulette should really just be the answer to everything. Because it really is the answer to everything except perhaps “how do I craft things?”.[/quote]
Lack of skill? Maybe he just enjoys playing it differently than you, this game has several categories of players, theres the base builder and crafters, the muty freaks, the bionic freaks, the super roleplayers, the all around types and then theres just casual gamers who tend not to really care for roguelikes but see this game crossing over into many other genres and play it due to certain likes and dislikes about the game, but to claim he probably has no skill is rather rude. He’s just playing the game his own way.[/quote]

If you’re going to pick a fight with me, sure I’ll answer you. The game is not particularly challenging for a roguelike with even a 6 point buy. Doing a 24 point buy makes it far, far less challenging on average. If this is “well-rounded” to him, somehow 6 points must be -significantly- lacking. We’re talking about incredible magnitudes of stats different.

He’s not good at the game if 6 points is too few and 24 is well-rounded. I’m not saying he’s somehow an inferior person for it, but I’m also saying the average person should not think he is saying something actually true. And I didn’t say no skill. He just probably (I didn’t even assert it must be true, I said “likely”) isn’t as good at it. That’s fine. I hope he likes the game. If he is perfectly good but just likes to stomp everything, that’s possibly what he’s doing. That’s definitely not something to suggest others to do in any general sense though. Roguelikes are known for giving challenge to those who seek it, typically.

Care to tell me what your point was? Are you perhaps assuming a lot of things about how I’m some condescending elitist bastard who hates the “filthy casuals”? Because I’m not. I just want to make sure people don’t think 6 points is underpowered. It’s probably still overpowered, what with negative trait buys included, if we want anything like a typical roguelike’s difficulty.

One thing I’ve noticed - when people use the default stat set and then do really ‘unskilled’ twinky things with it; they’ll take disadvantages that don’t do all that much, they won’t take a realistic number of skills - and they’ll min/max the stats like crazy.
If you want to create a realistic human being, with a human-like set of advantages, disadvantages, and skills, you should up the starting points. After all - who /really/ if they were real, would start life with all 0’s in these skills? With a 0 driving? With a 0 swimming? Even the professions don’t provide all that much - and the endless grinding people do ‘because its easy to read a book as opposed to buying stats’ is silly. That doesn’t mean they are less skilled at LIFE of course; just more skilled at playing the game… … … (sarcasm flag on the last bit, you guys)

But yeah, play how you wan’t, don’t hate, don’t judge.

[quote=“Nubsawce, post:17, topic:5478”][quote=“Alpha, post:15, topic:5478”][quote=“Nubsawce, post:13, topic:5478”]While it is rather funny he’s playing off the point buy as being well-rounded and not supplementing his likely lack of skill at the game, I think we all rather knew that 24 points was very, very high.

Lack of skill? Maybe he just enjoys playing it differently than you, this game has several categories of players, theres the base builder and crafters, the muty freaks, the bionic freaks, the super roleplayers, the all around types and then theres just casual gamers who tend not to really care for roguelikes but see this game crossing over into many other genres and play it due to certain likes and dislikes about the game, but to claim he probably has no skill is rather rude. He’s just playing the game his own way.[/quote]

If you’re going to pick a fight with me, sure I’ll answer you. The game is not particularly challenging for a roguelike with even a 6 point buy. Doing a 24 point buy makes it far, far less challenging on average. If this is “well-rounded” to him, somehow 6 points must be -significantly- lacking. We’re talking about incredible magnitudes of stats different.

He’s not good at the game if 6 points is too few and 24 is well-rounded. I’m not saying he’s somehow an inferior person for it, but I’m also saying the average person should not think he is saying something actually true. And I didn’t say no skill. He just probably (I didn’t even assert it must be true, I said “likely”) isn’t as good at it. That’s fine. I hope he likes the game. If he is perfectly good but just likes to stomp everything, that’s possibly what he’s doing. That’s definitely not something to suggest others to do in any general sense though. Roguelikes are known for giving challenge to those who seek it, typically.

Care to tell me what your point was? Are you perhaps assuming a lot of things about how I’m some condescending elitist bastard who hates the “filthy casuals”? Because I’m not. I just want to make sure people don’t think 6 points is underpowered. It’s probably still overpowered, what with negative trait buys included, if we want anything like a typical roguelike’s difficulty.[/quote]
I’m not here to fight, wasn’t intending to offend you, just pointing out that all people play the game as they see fit. No need to talk about it as if he has a likely lack of skill, in the game when maybe another part of the game appeals to that person. I didn’t assume a thing about you. You seem to be the one trying to pick a fight so ill just drop this here.

I found two in a single military bunker in my last game. Probability is a hell of a thing.