Hey, what's with all that loading?!

Have you noticed your game loading and saving again when you load up your save in the latest experimental?

That’s thanks to Kevin’s map-handling upgrade, which just landed.

It takes those ginormous map files that eventually imploded your game (no matter what you did) and breaks them down into digestible chunks that are dynamically loaded as necessary. This isn’t any easier on your hard drive, but keeps RAM usage down.

Theoretically Cata-worlds can now be far more infinite than they used to be: the only limitation is your HD space.

I’d like to specially thank Erratum on the IRC, without whose Pine Grove world (.rar compressed) we’d have been unable to test it. Here’s a .zip fresh from right before the merge-build. Much appreciated, Erratum.

That said, I was only able to test it so much. If something goes wrong, here’s as good a place as any to let us know!

Looks like the delete and reset world code is not working correctly. It’s not actually deleting or resetting the submaps in folders, only acting upon the files in the root save folder.

Yup, very happy to see it in-game. Can’t download the experimental right now, but will do it ASAP.

The game stops when appears pop up message "Please wait at the map saves"
Does it work with old saves?

[quote=“Poetich77, post:4, topic:4973”]The game stops when appears pop up message "Please wait at the map saves"
Does it work with old saves?[/quote]

Yes, it does. How big is your world?

A little less than Pine Grove world…

My saves

When, exactly, does the message appear? During autosave or immediately on loading a world?

When, exactly, does the message appear? During autosave or immediately on loading a world?[/quote]

At the beginning, when I’m trying to load my world

BevapDin has found the bug and a PR is in the works to fix it.

After that lands, test it and report back.

Merged!
It’s working fine on my end. If it doesn’t work fine on yours, please report back.

Holy crap this is amazing.
My 50.000 save turned into ~400/800 quick saves!

Now the only limit is the horizon!

It`s working in the latest build #802! Thanks for your help, guys!

[quote=“ChristopherWalken, post:11, topic:4973”]Holy crap this is amazing.

Now the only limit is the horizon![/quote]
Or your hard drive space.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:13, topic:4973”][quote=“ChristopherWalken, post:11, topic:4973”]Holy crap this is amazing.

Now the only limit is the horizon![/quote]
Or your hard drive space.[/quote]

I’ve got about a full Terabyte free, I think I’m safe.

As of now, the only problem that still needs fixing is https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/5973, the delete and reset world code is not working correctly. If you have worlds full of interesting stuff, continue to playtest and find bugs. That’s how we get them fixed.