Gtaguy's Guide to mountain manning!

Welcome, let’s see now.

Essentials to Survival: These things are required before hiking out.
1: Your Pocket Knife and Lighter.
2: A cooking pot
3: Water Container
4: Hunting Weapon
Optional to go without (but not recommended)
1: Sheet Metal (for a brazier)
2: Tent
3: Shovel / Bear Traps
4: String (really unrecommended to leave without, grab a rope if you see one too.)
5: Wood Axe
6: Hacksaw

Step 1: Grab that shit and run!
Get the above, The essentials are essential! No debate! however if you can craft them in the wild then go ahead.

Step 2: I am one with the Trees!
Go out to a forest (nearby a water source And not near swamps! Don’t ever go there! Don’t even get water there!) and set up your Tent and Pits/Traps.

Step 3: I am quenched by your tears.
Start gathering water and purifying it, fill up a jerrycan or canteen with it as backup if the weather gets nasty. Then get your non spare drinking water ready. Do these by building a fire away from your tent and boiling it.

Step 4: Time to get uncivilized
By now you can set up your brazier, burn things only when you have to cook/boil. By now you should’ve heard a SNAP!, in which case look for your tasty morsel and cook some of it up. But leave some uncooked so when it rots it can be cooked into freshness. If you haven’t heard a snap start throwing pointy or rocky things at wildlife and skin it for meat.

Step 5: Rinse, Wash, and Repeat!
Now you are ready for survival, sneak into town and steal a Playboy magazine because your a Hermit! Now you can live and die alone!

[glow=red,2,300]Just like me.[/glow]

How do braziers work anyway?
Do you just build a fire on top of them?

Do they stop it from spreading or something?

You (a)ctivate them and then set fires on the trap it places, which prevents them from spreading.

Great guide, gtaguy.

Addtional info:

• Sheet metal: You’ll need mechanics 3 to craft one if you don’t find it (where can you find those, anyway?), so you better get your hands on an “Under the hood” book first. To craft one you’ll need some scrap metal. That’s easily obtained by disassembling a flashlight. You’ll also need a welder and some batteries.

• Tent: if you aren’t able to find a tent in a sports store you’ll have to build a shelter kit yourself (the poor man’s version of a tent). For that you’ll need lots of leather, thread and strings. Leather can be obtained by cutting leather pants and jackets ((a)ctivate your knife, select 1, then select the leather clothes). You can also get them by butchering some creatures (like giant frogs). Strings can be randomly found in houses and hardware and sports stores, but your best bet is finding a 30ft rope. You can then disassemble that “(” to obtain 6ft ropes, which can be disassembled to 3ft strings, which can be disassembled to 6in strings which can be disassembled to thread. Heavy sticks can be obtained by (s)mashing small trees or looking around in forests.

• Water container: Lately I’m using a couple waterskins (some strings and fur pelts needed to craft them) and a gallon jug filled with untreated water (jugs can be found in houses, usually filled with ammonia or bleach, so (U)nload them first). Waterskins hold the same as plastic canteens (6) while weighting less. While a single gallon jug isn’t enough to fill both (only holds 10) it’s usually enough to get going, as you just really need one waterskin filled. The other one is there just in case you’re trapped somewhere and can’t get outside to get more water or can’t boil it right now. To boil water use a stone pot. It weights less than a normal pot and it’s fairly easy to build (some strings and three rocks).

• Shovel: If you don’t find a proper shovel consider building a stone one. If you play using the latest commits to the github you can make do with a digging stick instead. Use the shovel to dig deep pits around your tent before going to sleep, for security reasons. This means that you should plan ahead where to settle and consider the time you’ll need to dig those pits when planning your sleeping schedule. I’ve never used traps, so I can’t comment on that. The traps skill is still useful to get some rubber hoses and strings (by disassembling crossbow traps).

• Wood axe: If you don’t find a proper axe consider building a stone one. This won’t only be useful to gather wood logs for cooking (which last longer than any other wood), but will probably become your main melee weapon.

• Hacksaw: TBH I’d rather get my hands on a wood saw myself. That’s a must tool to create two by fours from logs, so consider this if you plan to build your own cabin.

Apart from that I usually pack a flashlight, mp3 player, rain coat (or several layers of torso clothes that add up to the 30 warmth required to not get wet) and occasionally a powerful gun (anything more powerful than a 9mm) for particularly tough creatures (such as zombie soldiers). Painkillers, oxycodone preferably, but if I’m not lucky then I create them by using poppy flowers. The same applies to sleeping pills (proper ones or Nyquil prefered, but if not, make do with poppy ones). First aid kits and bandages are a must. And at least one molotov if you manage to find some alcohol.

Once set to explore you should aim for some kind of proper shelter. Water will be your main worry. Rivers are synonym of swamp creatures most of the time, and you might not find one next to your area. The perfect shelter for this kind of character is IMO a LMOE one. Alternatively you can settle in science lab if you have the required ID card. Lots of water bottles there. If you decide to go Kung Fu and be a proper nomad be aware that you’ll need extra leather, strings and thread to repair your shelter kit after acid rain. That doesn’t apply to normal tents.

And remember that for most survival recipes you can replace thread with sinews (obtained by butchering big mammals) or plant fibers (by butchering triffids).

No Moonshine still? I am dissapoint. I’m actually kinda happy with the braziers and snare traps-- while the snares are simple to make, dear lord they’re not that effective at killing stuff-- and wolves just seem to jump over them.
Also is sheet metal really mech 3? feels a bit lower.

1. look for a liquor store or gas station on the outskirts.
  2. if it’s a liquor store, smash and grab.
  3. Gas station, grab a carboy and fill her up.
  4. Day one, molotov cocktails. I’ve already cleared half the town.

I thought its was

1)Scream at your pocket knife for not agreeing with your ideas
2)Scream at zombies for not agreeing with your ideas
3)Scream at wildlife for not agreeing with your ideas
4)Disregard proof that counters your ideas
5)Swear

Edit:
oh my bad, that is Vexifications Guide to being Gtaguy

[quote=“Vexification, post:6, topic:640”]I thought its was

5)Swear

Edit:
oh my bad, that is Vexifications Guide to being Gtaguy[/quote]

How about we all try to not be agitators?

If you want to speak to Gtaguy on his forum manners, take it to PM; don’t derail threads where whatever perceived problem isn’t even present.

Sheet metal from bashing slides… Awesome.

Really this is how I go about it, it is very adaptable to most character builders.

Those new Kegs are amazing for long term liquid storage, not really required for survival but if you come across one and if you can take it with you, do so.

They added kegs?

I stopped playing because of [size=24pt]Fucking fungal spires 'Errywhere![/size]

[quote=“gtaguy, post:10, topic:640”]They added kegs?

I stopped playing because of [size=24pt]Fucking fungal spires 'Errywhere![/size][/quote]

Yeap. I think you find them in liquor stores as Kegs of Beer. 300 units I think. Took me 10 min IRL time to fill one up with clean water. Incredible space saver these Kegs. Also holds gas in the ten thousands range; forgot the exact count. They’re huge and unwieldy though; I think you have to wield/hold it to even carry it. At most, with enough equipment, you could probably keep 1 in your inventory.

As such, only go for Kegs when you have a vehicle OR are crazy enough to lug it with you all on your own.

I added kegs. And they are awesome.

But impractical.

Also, they are 200 units.

Or 1400, if alcohol.

[b]Party Erryday!

But seriously, why are fungal spires everywhere?[/b]

Cheating.

[quote=“Vexification, post:6, topic:640”]I thought its was

5)Swear

Edit:
oh my bad, that is Vexifications Guide to being Gtaguy[/quote]

I’m sorry but I have no idea who you are, may have something to do with the concussion I sustained falling from a ladder helping my blind neighbor clean gutters.

Cheating.[/quote]

It’s not a bug! It’s a feature!
[size=5pt]Or a cheap exploit.[/size]

Cheating.[/quote]

It is possible to eat rotten meat and not get food poisoning. It just has to be REALLY past the due date though, and protected from things like flies and such that carry with them a great deal of bacteria. Native populations in Canada are known to eat raw meat by airing it and waiting a month or so, but according to outsiders that tried it, it’s an acquired taste. You just put it into something like a bag or a jar, covered the jar with something that could let the air through, and waited.

Prior to the days of wide spread refrigeration, rotten meat was eaten normally. You’d have some preservation methods like salting or drying (which is like just letting the meat rot anyway), making sausages, smoking, etc. that would preserve the meat, but these methods were often labor intensive and hence expensive to the common person.

That, or you can do what the my officer recommended: eat the maggots that spawn on the meat itself instead.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:10, topic:640”]They added kegs?

I stopped playing because of Fucking fungal spires 'Errywhere![/quote]

If you think they are spawning instead of just being generated everywhere:
http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=585.msg6987#msg6987

I avoid touching code like someone with Super HIV.

It never ends well.

Cheating.[/quote]

It is possible to eat rotten meat and not get food poisoning. It just has to be REALLY past the due date though, and protected from things like flies and such that carry with them a great deal of bacteria. Native populations in Canada are known to eat raw meat by airing it and waiting a month or so, but according to outsiders that tried it, it’s an acquired taste. You just put it into something like a bag or a jar, covered the jar with something that could let the air through, and waited.

Prior to the days of wide spread refrigeration, rotten meat was eaten normally. You’d have some preservation methods like salting or drying (which is like just letting the meat rot anyway), making sausages, smoking, etc. that would preserve the meat, but these methods were often labor intensive and hence expensive to the common person.

That, or you can do what the my officer recommended: eat the maggots that spawn on the meat itself instead.

[/quote]
Friendly reminder from one of the weather threads: at least in terms of seasonal progress, the Cata!calendar maps to the real calendar at roughly one day:one week. So, most of the meat sitting around my Lab is certainly old enough, since it’s been around for 5-10 days or so.

(I only cook meat as needed.)