(grr, heisenbug) Mutations costing too much again?

From the How-You-Died thread in the Bunker:

it seems to be 100% for all three, but I’ll try savescumming a few more times to test it out. Given I’d just updated game versions, it’s possible my character’s stats did not have any recent history under the new build to draw from? I mean, I think I started Zach’s game back in August.[/quote]

That build’s a day and about four pushes old, but I thought we nailed that too. I’m looking into it now.

Update: thus far, unable to reproduce in latest dev builds.

2d: And yeah, I found & fixed an issue with the active-mutation UI but not with stealthpuking draining more than it should. Only knocked myself back to (no message) from Full/Slaked, after some 50 attempts.

So thanks, Ed, but I’m gonna ask you to update. Sorry.

That works for me. If it continues to be a problem then I will submit a copy of my save wherever is most convenient. If there’s any possibility of it being related to having a character carried across a massive number of updates, I will just retire the character. Thanks for checking it out!

I still get this bug, even with brand new chars. Even tried it on a computer that never had cata on it before still happens (mostly debug testing them).

Did you get that from activating a mutation? That is almost exactly how my death screen looked after activating Nausea. You seem to have somehow gone to sleep after dying?? I don’t remember if mine managed that. good grab of the build number, though if yours isn’t the newest either, you and I might just use the same solution of updating.

Yeah I debugged retractable claws, used them and then that happens.
Also far as I can tell retractable claws shouldn’t even cost anything.

I know the CBM equivalent costs energy to activate, but that’s because it’s a cbm.

OK, as soon as my build compiles I’ll take a look. Thanks for the update.

Look taken.

1. Flexed my claws repeatedly: nothing.

2. I see you’d had atomic coffee there, and we’d recently fixed some sort of stim overflow, so I took about 4 shots of it, flexing the claws repeatedly: still nothing.

So there’s something I’m missing here. You’re showing latest version. Can you get a replicable save or otherwise list out exactly what you do to get this crash?

[quote=“KA101, post:7, topic:7864”]OK, as soon as my build compiles I’ll take a look. Thanks for the update.

Look taken.

2. I see you’d had atomic coffee there, and we’d recently fixed some sort of stim overflow, so I took about 4 shots of it, flexing the claws repeatedly: still nothing.

So there’s something I’m missing here. You’re showing latest version. Can you get a replicable save or otherwise list out exactly what you do to get this crash?[/quote]
The coffee doesn’t affect anything it happens without it as well, it was purely to get full/slaked status and reduce fatigue.
Hmm, have you tried moving/waiting(with . ) after activating?

Here’s a world with 2 chars in it both die as soon as they use their only active mutation.

[quote=“Caconym, post:8, topic:7864”][quote=“KA101, post:7, topic:7864”]OK, as soon as my build compiles I’ll take a look. Thanks for the update.

Look taken.

So there’s something I’m missing here. You’re showing latest version. Can you get a replicable save or otherwise list out exactly what you do to get this crash?[/quote]
The coffee doesn’t affect anything it happens without it as well, it was purely to get full/slaked status and reduce fatigue.
Hmm, have you tried moving/waiting(with . ) after activating?

Here’s a world with 2 chars in it both die as soon as they use their only active mutation.

OK. I’ve tried moving, waiting with . , and waiting with a watch (claws active in all cases), and nothing on a fresh testchar. I’ll check your save but I’m wondering if it is a carryover from pre-fix saves.

Thanks, and sorry for the difficulty.

Update: save checked. Looks like something in debug builds is blocking the issue–my working build has no problem, but the SDL build I grabbed for SDL-checking (2369, last Wednesday) had the problem. I’m betting there’s some sort of weird math error when the cost of using the mutation is 0, which debug builds avoid?

Update the second: no, simply giving a fresh testchar (in the SDL Jenkins build) retractable claws didn’t do anything. Something else is wrong in that save. Does the character predate 11 November 2014?

(Weird guess: clog in the cooldown timer? rather late for good bugfixing though, will check back tomorrow.)

Update:

Could kinda-sorta reproduce in Jenkins SDL builds (it wouldn’t always trigger, nor would it always drain everything). Could NOT reproduce in my wincurses builds. I’ve filed a branch that removes timeouts on the claws, Ruminant, Grazer, Hibernation, and Roomy Shell. Ironically, that got the full-drain to hit when I copied the JSON over to the SDL test directory.

So I’ve also explicitly initialized the cost-value, but since I can’t compile SDL ATM I can’t test that. It’s posted on my Git repo, branch mutfix, if anyone cares to take a look.

Frickin’ heisenbug.

They seem to be no longer lethal to use, however I think they don’t /work/ now, as in the activatable stuff not doing what it should do.

Yeah, we’re encountering problems where debug builds have 'em working A-OK and release screws it up. >_< I’m thinking reinstating the durations might solve the problem, or alternatively initializing the value.

I assure you we’re not happy about this and are working on it.

Turned out it was some iterator not saving information (debug keeps the values around longer), silly mistake on our part. Should be fixed now.

Thanks for reporting, all.

Thank you for mercilessly hunting that one down.

Kevin ran it to ground. Nice job by him.