Going from "Engorged" to "Peckish" in 2 hours is stupid [Warning: Bitter sarcasm]

A body mass system is in the works, so your character will be able to get fat or thin.

Good call. Maybe along with hunger meter she (the game) should have a meter on, say, how character feels of his/her energy. Don’t know how it would be best called in English, but in Russian it could say “полон сил”, “обессилен” и “едва жив” or something (“full of energy”, “exhausted” and “barely alive” respectively).

You can already ‘pull up your shirt’. Your character’s weight (e.g. obese, overweight, normal, underweight, emaciated) is displayed in the @ menu.

Huh, I never noticed that before. Was that added with the current hunger system, or was it more recent?

A bit more recently.

Oh, look at that. It works now.

I mean, now I’m getting like 50 errors on load, and that was after disabling a mod completely, but I guess that’s par for the course.

My UCP has turned into an MP7 with one round and trying to reload it crashes the game. Guess that’s going in a fire.

EDIT: Welp, nevermind. Sleeping crashed the game and corrupted my save. I ain’t even mad, I’m just amused.

@ootdega What version of the game? Any debug or error notifications that could help the devs fix the bug?

I am an advanced player, I can claim that by the amount of hours I put in the game, and so far, I have been able to deal with any problem the game challenges me with and I challenge myself with more restrictions each game, but this hunger system is confusing and far from anything I would conclude realistic.

Just because you have consumed a tons of junk food in the morning and have eaten a lot of calories doesn’t mean you can go most of the day not feeling hungry by being peckish and drinking water, people in real life adapt to regular intervals of consuming food, which is a large factor to consider when someone is going to feel hungry. Try eating a bunch of chocolate bars, crackers, smoked meat pieces and not feeling sated and this is exactly what is the result of this system, because in real life I don’t need to drink water to feel sated when I eat that much junk food, it doesn’t make sense. The volume of the stomach is just one factor of many, for a very complicated digestive system that is absorbing a very complex nutritional base this hunger system is somehow trying to mimick to conclude whether you are hungry, slightly hungry of whatever. Somehow in game I drink a lot of water in the morning and go pretty much all day long without feeling thirst doing psychically demanding tasks, very realistic.

I could go on, but meh…

3 Likes

^

Bar system for the win :wink:
No words. No wasted screen space. Even color blind people can still be provided every expectation of knowing where hunger/thirst is.

The debate now seems how much and for how long. Average 5’ 6" male/female can eat a X amount of food and still last about 3-4 days before organ failure(not necessarily all, but serious damage occurs). So long as they have water. Without water. You will die sooner than later depending on the temperature and exertion. Could for the grins add sodium in take too. Physical trauma. Sleep and/or lack there of.
edit: oh and surely we can add organs to the mix right(that would be f’n awesome!)? xD

Anyone else wanna take a crack at a system to encompass this, that we can mostly agree upon?

Watch the show Alone and this debate will end xD

I may find the humor in this if I had a tv to watch this, mate. But could you do the worst thing one can do for humor and explain a lil more please? :slight_smile:

Not familiar with it.

its a survival show which places a group of contestants out in the wilderness alone, they have to film everything by them selves and the last person to leave wins a lifechanging amount of money, and they are prepared to be there alone for over a year. theres currently 3 seasons. but you can see the changes in the contestants as the weeks/months pass.

1 Like

This is actually the the first gameplay I don’t even carry around any food or water, it’s completely non-existent within my equipment management, even when going for long trips up to 10h.

2 Likes

It’s true that I no longer feel the need to stock up so heavily on food, or water, given that I can now store more than a few hours worth of food in mah belly.

I think that famished may want to kick in sooner, last over a considerable span of the survivor’s caloric pool and present fairly serious penalties. You may be able to survive a couple weeks without food starting from excellent condition, but most people will be functioning very poorly after just a couple days with no food at all - and their mood will become atrociously bad in most cases.

Maybe add another tracker. One for hunger, one for thirst and one for fullness

I would just replace the peckish status with blank, it doesn’t need a word it’s a neutral status and I ignore it anyway. Don’t over complicate things.

5 Likes

It serves a purpose, though. You can eat food for morale boosts, or vitamin absorption, so knowing when you have room to cram some food in your stomach can be handy.

1 Like

I know this thread is old, I just want to throw in that @cs1’s experience was exactly what I just went through, thinking that “peckish” meant “not quite hungry” (and “gee I’m eating a lot of food, I guess they changed how energy use is modeled and all this zombie-killing is really revving up my appetite”) until I woke up one morning with poor health messages and couldn’t figure out why until I saw the “obese” messaging tucked into the player attribute UI. While I sympathize with people who get annoyed at discussion like, “this system sucks!” without feedback and consider it just trashing someone’s hard work, it’s also worth considering that UI problems are still problems, and not necessarily deficiencies (mental or otherwise) of the people running into them.

From my personal perspective, in the old versions, you ate when it got to “hungry”, you stopped eating when it got to “Engorged”, and that was enough to have two or so mealtimes in a day. That timing is probably still the case, but the messaging has changed, and if I think of “peckish” as “will be hungry soon” and “engorged” the same as before, obesity is the result. I don’t know the best way to fix it, but I do know that I won’t be the last person to have this experience. It’s possible that there could be better messaging at the various stages of weight gain, with some helper recommendations to ingame documentation about nutrition, and that might be a way to approach this.

2 Likes

Bars with Self Aware trait would still be a good in between. Can’t mistaken a bar with any language. :man_shrugging:

1 Like