Thanks for your responses. Not criticizing. Just pointing out what I see. Trying to test stuff out.
BTW, if there are specific things you want us to ‘test’ with each release, can you sticky a post? Then we can report back findings.
1. low level archery is useless. however you can easily train accuracy to 9 without fighting. see my post on this
Archery is still being worked on. Also a "fabrication" skill is currently in the works which is what will actually be trained when you make things (though the basic skill will also be needed).
Not necessarily complaining that its useless. Was informing people of changes. Its very easy to train archery up without fighting. People may not realize it. I just realized you can make arrows with 2 survival and you dont need archery first. I think that was change 1-2 versions ago.
2. intelligence supposedly no longer affects training speed (see no longer listed in the attributes),but I have not noticed a slowdown in training or a differendce as my skill goes up
3. focus doesn't seem to make all that much of a difference in training speed. maybe a little. has more to do with the level of the skill and the activity you take. Harder things to craft seem to give the biggest improvement. Different difficulty of mobs doesn't seem to affect combat speed
AFAIK intelligence has never affected the focus (which is something that it should do IMO). All-in-all focus still needs a little bit of work, and will need more when the rust/learning system is reworked.
In previous versions, the attribute screen claimed that intelligence improved skill learning speed. Some kind of reduction. That is not visible. From my tests, I am not noticing any difference in training speed. So it looks like nothing was change. Only the blurb on the creation screen changed.
4. arm encumbrance above 3 kills bow accuracy now. possibly due to change in attributes and not in encumbrance. have not tested firearms enough. not enough ammo
10. torso encumbrance at 6 can't possibly mean -6 to melee and dodge skill or if you have 5 melee and dodge, your dead in melee. this has always been here. just didnt pay as close of attention.
Encumbrance needs some work, namely quite a few things need to be converted to flat penalties instead of skill penalties.
Agreed. Just pointing out tests I did.
5. spawn rates in towns seem to be much lower. in town its actually alot easier. Seems too easy. I can go in in broad daylight now.
6. sound doesn't seem to do much. it hasn't since static spawns,but with lower zombie spawn rates in town it does less. Does some, but its not like it used to be
Heavier zombies = less spawned and the town is no longer based on an idealized circle, but rather is based on nearby buildings. Thus if you try to wander near the main shops you get lots of zombies, if you are hitting up small groups of houses on the edges then there won't be many zombies.
Its easier. I think its too easy. I have wandered all over town during the day. Yeah some more spawns, but its still easier. What do you mean by ‘heavier zombies’ = less spawned. You mean special zombies mean less total zombies? Oh. not sure this is good long term. Makes the game too easy. I think the number of zombies around certain stores should be higher, plus you have special zombies on top of it. With all the additional crafting, you can get strong in the woods without going to town. Then mow the town down. Could add this to options in the future. I would tend to keep it normal at first, then when I get good, jack it up myself. A future option, Id like to see is the game gets harder and spawns increase over time. It adds pressure to secure your shelter (such as add lots of traps and multiple rows of fences, etc… )
7. dex is the best attribute. you now go up 3 things for each attribute point. I think high dex is more important than high str for melee since you wont miss
DEX has always been the best attribute for skill effects (with STR being close behind). It's just that the majority of effects aren't displayed on the player creation menu. The difference between DEX and STR is that DEX has a huge amount of little effects and STR has a few large effects (hp, melee damage, carry weight, etc.).
I am not sure what version this changed,but I could have swarn at some point in the past it took 2 points of dex to improve 1 thing. Now its 1 to 1.
8. weapon speed makes a bigger difference than damage. looks like there is a 'damage per minute' calculation you can do, but its not visible. i can get multiple hits on zombies with quick, combat knife, and I think higher melee skill makes you faster (this could be wrong)
Weapon attack speed is dependant upon the weight/volume of the item. There is currently no "damage per minute" calculations done, and under certain situations a slower, heavier weapon will be more useful (for example against something with armor).
figured that was true. Most people dont realize it because its not visible. Alot of games are like this.
9. looks like movement speed affects attack speed. I got mutated for fleet-footed and then the one after it that gives 30% bonus to move speed. I 'think' I get more hits in. If so this is unintentional. Not alot of visibility into movement speed
This isn't true. Fleet-footed and it's similar mutations work by reducing the move cost of different types of ground, thus they have no effect on attack speed. They would allow you more "extra" move to attack in though, which would allow you to attack more often (but not change the time it takes for each attack).
This implies that if you are fast enough (and I have tested this). That you can use a attack and retreat strategy before you can get attacked. This is common in alot of roguelikes. This is a fun element and I think we can provide suggestions to enhance this over time. This would add to the strategic options.
13. with all the crafting changes, the game is easier since you can train up in the woods without taking risks. only real need for town is 'water' if you dont spawn near any water. or possibly smash windows for string
As mentioned earlier there will soon be a "fabrication" skill that is trained instead of the base skills. This will prevent you from becoming a gun master by crafting ammo, and similarly prevent a gun master from crafting high-level bullets and guns if they don't have the skill to make them.
I am ok with a ‘forest only option’ to get started. I like the idea. We will need people to write up guides on this because its not obvious to new players. That being said, I think to balance this, we need to jack up spawns in places such as towns alot. I do like the idea of the game getting harder over time. So you get time pressure. I got this idea from Wayward. The game gets harder over time. so if your not strategic in what you do early, your dead.
13. fungus are really good for training melee if you have a filter mask. if not your dead.
You could use royal jelly, but yeah, fungus have always been dangerous if you don't have mouth protection.
ahh didn’t know that. That being said, my statement about being good to train melee early is only valid with a filter mask. Bees poison frequently and its highly risky to make it into a beehive to get royal jelly early. Just a note for new players.
you guys do a very good job.