Free-standing versions of certain bionics

Why do we have bionics version of certain technologies but not larger, presumably easier-to-build versions?
Things like the Artificial Night Generator. Why doesn’t an artificial night grenade exist as an advanced smoke grenade, for example? Vehicle-mounted active defence systems? Sonic Resonator bombs? I think there’s tons of potential for rare, uncraftable loot here that makes those lab runs really worth it in the end.

An artificial night grenade could need 100 batteries and after being activated starts generating a darkness field after 3 turns and drains 10 batteries per turn until it runs out. It could then be picked up and recharged for another use. This way it functions essentially as a reusable smoke grenade without the scent blocking.

Active defence systems could be found mounted on certain military vehicles or (evilly) on high-end turret emplacements and run off of a vehicle’s power supply.

An invisibility cloak or suit that uses UPS and drains quite a bit of power could also work well.

Why doesn’t there exist any stand-alone monomolecular blades? Maybe they’re too brittle to be made into full-length swords and cannot be made with a core of some other material since they need to be single crystal or whatever. Mostly to avoid the obvious monomolecular katanas and broadswords. But one could easily imagine a monomolecular fighting knife with stats similar to the CBM one, for example.

A heavy sonic resonator bomb could also be cool as a tool to break into bunkers or destroy robots. Could make it possible to activate from afar using remote vehicle controls as well just to reinforce that high-tech feel.

This could also be a way to get rid of ridiculous bionics (probability travel, I’m looking at you) if one is against removing them from the game entirely for whatever reason.

[quote=“Silfurdreki, post:1, topic:8687”]Why do we have bionics version of certain technologies but not larger, presumably easier-to-build versions?
Things like the Artificial Night Generator. Why doesn’t an artificial night grenade exist as an advanced smoke grenade, for example? Vehicle-mounted active defence systems? Sonic Resonator bombs? I think there’s tons of potential for rare, uncraftable loot here that makes those lab runs really worth it in the end.

An artificial night grenade could need 100 batteries and after being activated starts generating a darkness field after 3 turns and drains 10 batteries per turn until it runs out. It could then be picked up and recharged for another use. This way it functions essentially as a reusable smoke grenade without the scent blocking.

Active defence systems could be found mounted on certain military vehicles or (evilly) on high-end turret emplacements and run off of a vehicle’s power supply.

An invisibility cloak or suit that uses UPS and drains quite a bit of power could also work well.

Why doesn’t there exist any stand-alone monomolecular blades? Maybe they’re too brittle to be made into full-length swords and cannot be made with a core of some other material since they need to be single crystal or whatever. Mostly to avoid the obvious monomolecular katanas and broadswords. But one could easily imagine a monomolecular fighting knife with stats similar to the CBM one, for example.

A heavy sonic resonator bomb could also be cool as a tool to break into bunkers or destroy robots. Could make it possible to activate from afar using remote vehicle controls as well just to reinforce that high-tech feel.

This could also be a way to get rid of ridiculous bionics (probability travel, I’m looking at you) if one is against removing them from the game entirely for whatever reason.[/quote]

Some of these already exist (RM51 Optical Cloak is an invisibility clothing)

As for other stuff, I’m working on a set of graphene-based items (craftable superalloy for example), a non-bionic monomolecular blade is one of them. So, maybe some day!

I have yet to come across that cloak, so I was unaware it was a thing. Apologies for that.

The general idea still stands, though.

craftable superalloy

Pretty confident superalloy is expressly not player-producible per the design doc. Sorry, Abbysynth. :frowning: