Food storage/packaging = spoilage (regardless of temperature)?

I am not talking about temperature here

Just leaving foods that last seasons or years (like dehydrated/smoked meat and flour) on the ground has been causing them to spoil much more quickly, I’ve noticed. Now, do I need to put the food into a container and then it will be okay to put on the ground and not rot so fast? I understand whether its inside or outside contributes to the spoilage rate.

Do I need to put the container (e.g. plastic jar or canvas sack filled with food item) into a storage location (crate, cupboard, etc.) ?

Basically, I want to make my smoked/dehydrated meats not spoil so quickly, so outside of using a vaccum sealer what kind of containers am I to use to assist in this?

Just to clarify, if you make dehydrated meat from meat that is actually close to spoiling, it will have much less lifespan than a fresh meat one. It’s easy to test by cooking meat, both fresh and old. The old one will spoil much quicker despite being cooked. That might be the issue that you’re having. As in, cooking doesn’t reset the % of food lifespan that was already lost.

If you want to test this youreself, get 2 pieces of meat from one source, cook them both, then put one in a container ( like a dresser, obviously do not test with fridges ) and one on the ground next to it and observe.

I do not think food just spoils faster if you put it on the ground, from experience.

A pile of flour placed on a table in a basement V.S. a pile of flour placed into a bottle or canvas sack in a basement = ? which one will turn rotten first if all the other variables are the same? The piles of flour will both start with the same age to begin with, in this hypothetical scenario, just so you know.

I was not refering to that mechanic at all, but I get that you’re just trying to tell me the basics. I am beyond that point, I literally will have something that is labeled “smoked meat (fresh)” ‘This good is as fresh as it could possibly be’ or whatever it says, but it will turn into (old) status after just a couple days of sitting in my shopping cart outside in the cold rainy weather.

That being said, the meat and food I am refering to is not being packaged in any way at all. I understand vacuum sealing helps, and canning or whatever, but I am refering specifically to non-specialized containers that can be used to store general food products/items into, will those containers contribute to the longevity of the food?

Can you even reuse plastic bags, cardboard boxes, canvas bags, etc to store food in?

You can use plastic bags for “vacuum-sealed” foods. I do not think you can just use the bags “raw”, same with cardboard boxes ( I usually use those for arrows ) As for canvas bags, no clue. Never tried putting anything in them.

I tried to test this myself, unfortunately I’m not able to put flour inside a bottle:

WARNING: SCIENCE BELOW!

Instead, I decided to try something a little different.

10 pieces of tainted meat, 5 put on the ground in the basement, vs 5 put on a unfolded tourist table in the basement. Freshly butchered off a survivor zombie. It is the middle of summer, so fastest spoilage for easier experiments. Results:

6 hours after initial placement: Both of test groups are no longer fresh, both say they passed their midlife.

2 ( 8 hours total ) hours later: Both groups of meat say they will be old soon.

1 ( 9 hours total ) hour later: Same as above.

30 ( 9:30 hours total ) minutes later: Interesting. Meat on the ground has already received the ( old ) tag. The meat on the table still has to get to this point.

55 ( 10:25 hours total ) minutes later: The meat on the table finally gets the ( old ) tag. The ground meat sitll hasn’t rotten.

15 ( 10:40 hours total ) minutes later: Ground meat rots.

Finally, 1 hour ( 11:40 hours total ) later: The meat on the table rots.

I’m actually surprised, it seems you actually caught a wind of something Ted. I can only wonder what would happen if we had four groups to test.

• Meat on ground
  • Meat on ground in a container
  • Meat on table
  • Meat on table in a container

Meat sandwiches come in paper wrappers, so you could science that.

Well, if you say A, you gotta say B next.

I’m usually not the type to do !!SCIENCE!!, but I already started this so whatever.

I copied my old world settings and made a new world. Spring 1, I debugged 4 ( well, technically 5 but ate one ) meat sandwiches in paper wrappers in.

• First sandwich was unwrapped and put on the floor. ( Hencefore, this will be referred to as Sandwich 1 )
  • Second sandwich was put on the floor but not unwrapped ( Sandwich 2 )
  • Third sandwich was unwrapped but put on a counter ( Sandwich 3 )
  • Finally, fourth one was left in its wrapper and put on the counter ( Sandwich 4 )

12 hours in: Sandwich 1,2,3,4 all lost their ( fresh ) tags.
93 hours in: Sandwich 1,2,3,4 display the ( old ) tag.
98 hours in: Sandwich 1,2,3,4 had rotten.

So… this experiment went completely differently than the first one. All sandwiches, regardless of the conditions of their packaging or being put on the ground rotten at the same time.

This means that my first experiment was probably flawed.

Perhaps there was a temperature variation between tiles on the first test.

Wasn’t the first test done in summer, whereas the second was done on Spring 1?

Maybe, but then again, the meat was basically placed one tile apart from each other.

Yeah, I did the first one on my main save in the middle of summer. I could try to repeat it on my main, but I don’t see it being any different. Maybe each piece of butchered meat has slightly different lifespan, that’s why the first test came out as it did.