Flu and Influenza frequency

I do not know if the chances to catch flu/influenza has been tampered but I seem to catch it each time I walk in rain even if I do not get wet.

Just got away with influenza and 6 days later I catched Influenza again. Pretty annoing if I just need to sit inside when it is raining.

Playing with 30 day seasons and I have catched cold 3 times and influenza twice now. Currently in day 16 of Autumn so basically cold/influenza every 15 days.

I can assure you that being cold/wet has absolutely nothing to do with getting a cold/flu. Most likely you just have a very low health value from eating bad food or a leaky bionic, which can greatly increase your chances of getting the cold/flu.

No bad bionics. Or any bionics at all.

I mostly eat meat/wood or veggie soup and drink herbal tea or clean water. I try to chunk down on vitamins but with 0.2 item drops vitamins are kinda rare to be gulpt on frequently.

It’s mostly just pure luck. Unless you wear heavy mouth protection at all times, full health + resistance trait only gives you like 60% resistance total.

Might need some changes then. Having flu should give you a huge boost to resistance which dimishes over time.

Maybe the RNG just hates you.

I agree with the resistance.

How often is the check made? I’ve had characters get the flu 2-3 days again after just having it and repeat for a few weeks. I usually quit that game realizing that I won’t be able to find/get a mask to stop it. I pretty much try and find a mask or a shot within like a week, or I restart.

The issue could be the check is being made way too frequently. You catch it from a carrier. That is the only time it should be checked. I rarely mert NPC’s. Yes, running around in the world probably isn’t the most sanitary thing, but it would have to be a surface you would touch, that would be infected. Shared food preparation areas etc.

Either that or there needs to be a way to sanitize everything you have to clear it of germs. Bleach exists. Hand washing clothes and dishes isn’t that hard compared to creating a car from duct tab and some sheet metal.

[quote=“Kryxx, post:7, topic:9506”]How often is the check made? I’ve had characters get the flu 2-3 days again after just having it and repeat for a few weeks. I usually quit that game realizing that I won’t be able to find/get a mask to stop it. I pretty much try and find a mask or a shot within like a week, or I restart.

The issue could be the check is being made way too frequently. You catch it from a carrier. That is the only time it should be checked. I rarely mert NPC’s. Yes, running around in the world probably isn’t the most sanitary thing, but it would have to be a surface you would touch, that would be infected. Shared food preparation areas etc.[/quote]

Check is made every every 30 minutes. Every time the check is made, your chance to catch something is one in (900 + health + [300 if has the resistant trait]). This gives an average chance of catching a disease roughly 4% per day if resistant, 5.5% if not, assuming 0 health.
Health can vary from -200 to 200, but it probably won’t reach less than -100 if you don’t have the leaky bionic and won’t reach more than 50 without vitamins or leukocyte bionic.

If the check fails, there is still a separate check for mouth protection. Since environmental protection is a sum, stacking scarves is fine. 2 patchwork scarves, 2 long patchwork scarves and a bandana will give you immunity to illness, as would filter mask + scarf.

The airborne disease thing is a simplification. If someone wrote a different mechanic that would allow you to get infected from the contact with zeds, zed blood, zed puke and zed saliva, it would probably get accepted and could even replace the current mechanic.

I do recall comments in a past, similar discussion (apologies for not digging it up and linking it) along these lines. The point “this isn’t the old flu and cold you’re used to” came up either. Namely, because both of those would need a significant human population to spread (flu season is basically indoor-humans season, at least in North America), and this scenario just doesn’t have the humanity to spread oldstyle bugs.

I think it was posited that what our survivors were experiencing as flu/colds had altered enough to stick around in the environment for the longterm, rather than transmit from person-to-person. Or it was something completely different, save for the symptoms.

Not saying either of those are the going canon, just a facet I recall. Thoughts?

Addendum: I’ve not had any problem with extended flu-catching issues. But I also tend to find breathing masks really early game if I don’t craft bandanas right away. It’s only when my characters are repeatedly using recreational drugs that the problem of flu crops up for me.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:8, topic:9506”][quote=“Kryxx, post:7, topic:9506”]How often is the check made? I’ve had characters get the flu 2-3 days again after just having it and repeat for a few weeks. I usually quit that game realizing that I won’t be able to find/get a mask to stop it. I pretty much try and find a mask or a shot within like a week, or I restart.

The issue could be the check is being made way too frequently. You catch it from a carrier. That is the only time it should be checked. I rarely mert NPC’s. Yes, running around in the world probably isn’t the most sanitary thing, but it would have to be a surface you would touch, that would be infected. Shared food preparation areas etc.[/quote]

Check is made every every 30 minutes. Every time the check is made, your chance to catch something is one in (900 + health + [300 if has the resistant trait]). This gives an average chance of catching a disease roughly 4% per day if resistant, 5.5% if not, assuming 0 health.
Health can vary from -200 to 200, but it probably won’t reach less than -100 if you don’t have the leaky bionic and won’t reach more than 50 without vitamins or leukocyte bionic.

If the check fails, there is still a separate check for mouth protection. Since environmental protection is a sum, stacking scarves is fine. 2 patchwork scarves, 2 long patchwork scarves and a bandana will give you immunity to illness, as would filter mask + scarf.

The airborne disease thing is a simplification. If someone wrote a different mechanic that would allow you to get infected from the contact with zeds, zed blood, zed puke and zed saliva, it would probably get accepted and could even replace the current mechanic.[/quote]

So in short, your average chance of catching the flu in the first few days is pretty good. 5.5% or 1 in 18. The math says you will. (48 chances of 5.5% each day, that’s a 1 n 18 chance, it’s pretty much stacked against you) . So until you get a flu shot for 100% immunity, your forced to have face protection.

Once you get the flu, your going to get it again. Your odds go up because your health goes down while you have it and you don’t have enough time to build it back up.

Thus you make face environmental protection , a 100% requirement within 1-2 days.

This is why once I get it if it’s within the first week, I just restart a character. It’s boring as hell to spend days/weeks sleeping etc to get rid of it. Especially if your just starting out, and you need to attempt to get things together and have to fight it off.

4% per day. Not 4% 48 times per day.