Five suggestions for improving NPCs

Hey, just a few suggestions for some stuff that could really help flesh out the NPCs.

Suppressive Fire - When engaging in gun battles with NPCs, even if you miss,
there should be a chance that the NPC you’re firing at becomes “suppressed.” This will cause them to get behind the nearest cover, and they will be less likely to fire at you, should you continue to keep them pinned down. If they do attempt to fire at you, they will suffer moderate to severe accuracy penalties depending on their skills. Not all NPCs would suffer the effects of suppression. NPCs who feel confident, have high skills, or are just plain stupid (very low Intelligence score) are much less likely to take cover if you shoot at them. Also, friendly NPCs, (assuming they’re willing to) should be able to suppress a hostile NPC, if they have a ranged weapon. Unless they’re ordered otherwise, or are in immediate danger from another NPC (“threat level” possibly could be calculated however the turrets at military bases choose between multiple targets), NPCs will fire upon a target until it dies, they no longer have a shot on the target, or they run out of ammo.

Truly random RNG - It’s kind of frustrating when it feels like NPCs are using the same 12 names. I know it’s not that few, but still, an actually random RNG doesn’t feel like something that’d be that hard to code in, although imputting all the names could be a bit tedious. (Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.)
The URL below is a link to the RNG I use for all of my creative writing, so feel free to check it out.
http://www.mithrilandmages.com/utilities/Modern.php

(Debug Menu) Ability to change the names of NPCs - It’s a little difficult to take my longtime companion in the Cataclysm seriously when their name is Urist McPrudent. Sort of related to the RNG, it’d be nice to change the names of NPCs through the debug menu.

Nonrandom/Semirandom equipment for certain NPCs - I’m kind of curious how the NPC who spawned in my shelter at the beginning of the game came across both a lab coat and a pair of leather pants. Any profession requiring one would not abide the other. It’d be interesting since it might help give certain NPCs a “story” of sorts. An NPC wearing full kit and carrying an L523 variant probably would have been a soldier before the Cataclysm. They might have special missions, too, like tracking down their unit (who are all most likely dead) and reporting back to them, or having them come along to find the unit with you. They might be able to give you special rewards-- maybe an NPC who was a scientist before the Cataclysm would offer up a science ID card as a reward for successfully completing a mission from them, for example. Other NPCs, like “survivor” NPCs, would obviously be wearing whatever gear they could get, so more mismatched clothing could be expected from them.

Many hands make light work - NPCs who have a good construction skill can help a survivor construct something more quickly if they’re nearby. It’d take two people half the time to construct a door or dig a pit that one person would need. If an NPC didn’t have any skills in construction could watch the player building to boost their skills, and eventually they’d become just as capable.

I agree with the naming aspect of this. About the suppressive fire, where would the take cover? Is it just running to the nearest wall and get behind that? The way guns work, you could kill of an NPC who runs towards a wall before they even reach it. Also, it would be a waste of ammo. Finally, about the non-randomization of npc gear, I guess the best implementation of this would be to create NPC “templates” which an npc would randomly fall under and its gear would have to be from that “template”.

[quote=“Dampe, post:1, topic:10637”]Suppressive Fire - When engaging in gun battles with NPCs, even if you miss,
there should be a chance that the NPC you’re firing at becomes “suppressed.” This will cause them to get behind the nearest cover, and they will be less likely to fire at you, should you continue to keep them pinned down. If they do attempt to fire at you, they will suffer moderate to severe accuracy penalties depending on their skills. Not all NPCs would suffer the effects of suppression. NPCs who feel confident, have high skills, or are just plain stupid (very low Intelligence score) are much less likely to take cover if you shoot at them. Also, friendly NPCs, (assuming they’re willing to) should be able to suppress a hostile NPC, if they have a ranged weapon. Unless they’re ordered otherwise, or are in immediate danger from another NPC (“threat level” possibly could be calculated however the turrets at military bases choose between multiple targets), NPCs will fire upon a target until it dies, they no longer have a shot on the target, or they run out of ammo.[/quote]
You’re making the concept a lot more complicated than it needs to be, it could just be some kind of effect that debuffs various actions that you acquire when you’re shot at. It could also make you harder to hit at the same time. Mindless enemies would get neither effect, but I find it hard to believe anyone would be dumb enough to not realize they should take cover when being shot at. Very heavy armor might also make you immune.

[quote=“Dampe, post:1, topic:10637”]Truly random RNG - It’s kind of frustrating when it feels like NPCs are using the same 12 names. I know it’s not that few, but still, an actually random RNG doesn’t feel like something that’d be that hard to code in, although imputting all the names could be a bit tedious. (Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.)
The URL below is a link to the RNG I use for all of my creative writing, so feel free to check it out.
http://www.mithrilandmages.com/utilities/Modern.php[/quote]
You confused the hell out of me, I’ve never seen someone refer to a random name generator as a RNG before, that’s usually reserved for a Random Number Generator. And… meh?

So we need to put more work into the name generator, but you also want to ignore its output :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s nothing wrong with the concept per se, but you suggesting it doesn’t get us any closer to making it happen. It’s either a lot of hand-assembled templates, or somehow making rules that make random item selection more consistent.

AFAIK this is already implemented.

Not always, I’d just like to be able to change their name if it gives them something silly.
Anyways, thanks a lot for the feedback! :smiley:

I like that bit of randomness. In this fashion NPCs seem more like the player; sometimes they end up with weird gear due to circumstance.

Something I’d -eventually- like to see would be a “NPC evolution”, similar to the zombie evolution we already have in the game.

As far as I remember, the Cataclysm is supposed to have happend a few days/weeks prior to the game start (at least under normal circumstances). Most starting professions didn’t even have time to change their clothing because the Cataclysm struck so suddenly. And yet, some people already started to call themselves “Atomo” and resorted to burning down buildings for a living. I really like the (unintentional? :wink: )social critique inherent to this situation, but IHMO it’s pretty immersion-breaking that shit hits the fan so early.

Instead, I would like NPCs to resemble more sane, rational people at start. Most NPCs would - just like the player character - start out with everyday clothing and equipment. Some should definitly have some kind of makeshift armour and weapons - there’s a zombie apocalypse going on, after all - but they should be a minority. But even though the living dead walk the streets, I can’t see people abandoning all hope of rescue and going full anarcho mode so early.

Then, as times passes, NPCs with better equipment would start to appear. Salvaged gear, self-made weapons and firearms would become more common as people slowly come to accept that they either have to survive on their own or don’t survive at all. Things that could start to spawn at this time could be armoured cars (c’mon, who armored up a car and slapped a machine gun on it five days into the apocalypse?) and more “wonky” NPCs like the Arsonist.

After even more time has passed, NPCs should start to wear higher-end gear, maybe even faction specific clothing and weapons to represent a bunch of survivors actually turning into a functional community with regular guards and representatives.

But as I said, that’s more of a long term suggestion.