Favorite Starting Base Locations & Mid-Game Base Locations?

[quote=“Pantalion, post:19, topic:12282”][quote=“MarkJerue, post:17, topic:12282”]I’m currently working on my “Mobile Base.” I’m in an interesting (and lucky) predicament. I’ve never made it this far before.

Do I go with the Humvee, Military Cargo Van, fire engine, or security van?[/quote]

I know it’s not very macho, if you’re into that sort of thing, but have you considered just reworking the civilian car?

In my mind, a mobile base needs:

Bed (Car seats already work as beds)
Storage (x3 Cargo Spaces is generally enough to carry whatever you need)
Forge (Installed, it has 200 cargo space to carry everything you need for fabrication)
Kitchen Unit (Reliable, infinite hotplate and “take a drink” features)
FOODCO (Advanced food preparation and water purification)
Chemistry Lab (For creating jerrycans’ worth of mutagen)
Welder (Optional if you have integrated toolset).

You can fit all of that into a 2x4 space:

XF
XW
XK
FC

Including two seats, an extended Heavy Duty Frame bumper at the front for crashing into things like a lunatic, and armoured doors around everything (instead of quarterpanels) so you can easily open them up and gain crafting access even outside your vehicle, that’s only a 4x9 vehicle size in total, and you’ll still have plenty of space for water tanks and a turret or two.[/quote]

You shouldn’t even need the Chemistry Lab, just leave a (basic) chemistry set in a cargo rack, the forge is also something you could install when you need it, or just leave it in a ups charger with a ups mod as a electric forge.

Right now I’ve got a tricked out electric scooter sporting two storage batteries, three car batteries, 7 solar panels, and a small gas engine/alternator should I need it. Top speed is something like 450, which is making me consider putting the stock electric motor back in because I don’t really need to go over 30 (it’s amazing the speed jump going from a small motor to a large one gives). Because of min/max I have absolutely no driving skill, so I probably shouldn’t go fast anyway.

It’s still light enough to pull around too, if a little awkward, and I think my next step is to put pedals on it because why not. I’m pretty sure I’m going to get messed up by the next turret I pass or if I hit literally anything, but it does a good job for bombing around areas where I have already cleared out and grabbing loot.

I’m kinda in the same boat. I’ve got a really nicely set up fixed base and my little electrobike, but there’s both an APC and an RV parked literally in front of my house that are just begging to be used for something. I’ve never gotten far enough to need a mobile base before, but I’m thinking it might be time to try one out.

Should I pull the guts out of the RV and put them into the APC, then convert it to electro/gas (I can’t find diesel and don’t think I have the cooking skill to make it), or pull the plating and gun mount off the APC and stick it on the RV? Power to do so isn’t a huge issue as I am playing an older version with the rechargable battery mods and have a couple of welders charging at all times. It’s a little slow, but w/e.

Or, since I’m feeling pretty secure, should I just add a sleeper unit to the bike, stay in my nice little fort, and use it to explore other towns?

Also, is there any advantage to having more than the minimum required number of wheels that I’m not seeing?

[quote=“MarkJerue, post:17, topic:12282”]I’m currently working on my “Mobile Base.” I’m in an interesting (and lucky) predicament. I’ve never made it this far before.

Do I go with the Humvee, Military Cargo Van, fire engine, or security van?[/quote]

I generally go with a humvee, simply for the heavy frames, armored wheels, and military armor. The military cargo van is just too big, and anything else I’d end up rebuilding so it would be all heavy frames.

Actually, even with a humvee, when I get the time and resources, I disassemble and build from scratch… however, I could just stick with a humvee pretty well, really, as I always build 5 tiles wide (with me in the center). I do have another seat in the back for the occasional NPC, though.

Since you have so many solar panels, I’d either convert the welder to UPS power and make a UPS charger on the current electric vehicle or make a vehicle welding rig. It would make life a LOT easier.

Redundancy. Hit a mine in the dark with only the minimum on wheels, and you’re stuck. Hit a mine in the dark with redundancy, and you can be annoyed, carefully back out, and deal with the issue some time quite a bit later, when it’s convenient for you.

Otherwise, no, I don’t know of any benefit.

Love the Humvee, i put military composite armor all over it, removed the back doors for extra 3 slots, have a mounted A7 Laser rifle (drivers seat slot) and 120mm Tank Gun AL, camera system with 4 cameras, Foodco, Chem Lab, E Forge, integrated toolset bionic for rest, UPS Station, enchanced el. motor, v8 diesel motor, 2 mini reactors, gasoline tank, diesel tank, clean water tank, 5 storage batteries, quantum panel, 2 dimensional cargos (2.000.000 storage space), about to craft 2 more mounted guns.

Drivers seat is a comfortable place to sleep +I wouldnt recommend you to drive over zombies much cause u will sooner or later lose something crucial, not rly smart to crash around with your mobile base, will get it destroyed fast. If you wanna have fun doing that, id recommend you to build another vehicle with that purpose and keep your mobile base safe.

I’d also go with the Humvee, as many points stated above.

Decent space, armor, manageable size, and I believe it spawns with a UPS charger, so if you have solar panels it means infinite charges on any battery driven device.

Recent experimentals make high temperatures (like magma vents) burn you at about the same distance you start feeling any warmth at all. There’s some sort of deathwall.
I think you can cook with it just outside that range, though.

lava irl is full of toxic fumes too, so im okay with that range. just wish mosters too that damage too

You need to stand like 5 tiles away from lava to avoid being hurt, can we reduce that to 2-3 tiles?

I went with the Humvee :smiley: After using up all my precious batteries I’ve taken the original and turned it into a long humvee. The interior is now 6 x 3, with the majority of the interior made out of extra-light frames (exterior is all heavy except the back). I have a bed in it, and the UPS charger that came with it, and 4 trunks; I’m down to ~600 batteries now, so need to go scavenge. I luckily have the humvee at 87% power now with 8 storage batteries.

Now to decide where in the world to drive! And acquire. I’m eyeing a kitchen unit, but I’m short on the cooking supplies of all things.

I also need more electronics skill so I can pick up those UPS charger modules - those will be a Godsend given my solar panels.