Explanation for charge rifle/plasma rifle

I’d love a laser capable of cooking steel into gas, but somehow I think it might be a bit OP…

It won’t explode because if you vaporized it, the gas would be able to escape. The steel would vaporize from the outside in, preventing the buildup of pressure. In a human, the water would vaporize before the rest of the tissue, causing pressure to build up and the person to explode.

Are you think about this? : Active Denial System - Wikipedia

They’re probably not a good idea to use on crowds, because not all body parts are as resilient as skin to microwave damage. Like the rods and cones in eyeballs.

If not, I do not see how this process would “stun” a person without obliterating or grievously wounding them. The large gapping holes these weapons inflict on people are not going to be cauterized. The explosion is just an immensely rapid and violent version of matter trying to redistribute/react to heat energy like a nuclear explosion. Its holes are ripped apart more so than it is through vaporization (which would require an insane amount of energy).

Technically it’s that lasers of insufficient intensity cause explosions. You shoot laser at a human. The laser heats up the water in the skin of the human. The water becomes gaseous inside the human’s flesh. The gas must escape. BOOOOM! The human has a fist sized hole in his stomach.
Lasers of sufficient intensity will just burn through a human, and his friend behind him. And his friend behind him. And the wall. And the dog behind the wall. And the tree behind the wall and the dog.[/quote]

Yeah, I think we’re reading stuff that’s near each other :D. I’ve always wondered if this can be achieve with any substance, and not just water if you pump enough energy fast enough.

Don’t think you’re going to get lasers that can cut through stuff through vaporization though without making the emitter a giant bomb.

It won’t explode because if you vaporized it, the gas would be able to escape. The steel would vaporize from the outside in, preventing the buildup of pressure. In a human, the water would vaporize before the rest of the tissue, causing pressure to build up and the person to explode.[/quote]

You would be right if i hadn t added : fast enough.
It doesn t matter if its contained or not . If you heat it fast enough it will explode.Containing an explosive agent just makes it easier for the same to build up preasure.

It would probably take a retardedly high ammount of energy in a rather short timeframe yeah xD.

Humans want op weapons they dun care for game balance. + The energie needed and machines to do this might make weaponizing this inpracticle regardless.

[spoiler][quote=“Flare, post:23, topic:8251”]Are you think about this? : Active Denial System - Wikipedia

They’re probably not a good idea to use on crowds, because not all body parts are as resilient as skin to microwave damage. Like the rods and cones in eyeballs.

If not, I do not see how this process would “stun” a person without obliterating or grievously wounding them. The large gapping holes these weapons inflict on people are not going to be cauterized. The explosion is just an immensely rapid and violent version of matter trying to redistribute/react to heat energy like a nuclear explosion. Its holes are ripped apart more so than it is through vaporization (which would require an insane amount of energy).

Technically it’s that lasers of insufficient intensity cause explosions. You shoot laser at a human. The laser heats up the water in the skin of the human. The water becomes gaseous inside the human’s flesh. The gas must escape. BOOOOM! The human has a fist sized hole in his stomach.
Lasers of sufficient intensity will just burn through a human, and his friend behind him. And his friend behind him. And the wall. And the dog behind the wall. And the tree behind the wall and the dog.[/quote]

Yeah, I think we’re reading stuff that’s near each other :D. I’ve always wondered if this can be achieve with any substance, and not just water if you pump enough energy fast enough.

Don’t think you’re going to get lasers that cut through stuff through vaporization though, without making the emitter a giant bomb.[/quote][/spoiler]

Yeah thats the thing i meant. I am not sure whether this weapon is a good idea either :stuck_out_tongue:

Concerning the laser intense enough to cause an explosion in anything: Well science may or may not find a way to do it.
point stands that everything sufficiently heated in short enough time will explode. If its achievable with certain means and at the same time practical is another question.

It won’t explode because if you vaporized it, the gas would be able to escape. The steel would vaporize from the outside in, preventing the buildup of pressure. In a human, the water would vaporize before the rest of the tissue, causing pressure to build up and the person to explode.[/quote]

You would be right if i hadn t added : fast enough.
It doesn t amtter if its contained or not . If you heat it fast enough it will explode.[/quote]

I think it might depend on what exactly it is you’re heating up.

I think if the piece of matter contained a lot of impurities, there would be a higher chance for that. On the other hand, I think I saw on mythbusters of thermite exploding due to how hot it can get, but I’m not exactly sure what’s going on there.

You can make thermite explode in a violent reaction . But you d have to modify it . What you need to do there is making it react faster. For example by adding sulphur. I heard og some experimental stuff where they build in molecules of the materials involved in the thermite reaction very close to each other on a molecular lvl making it react very fast. If thats doable it ll probably explode.

edit:

Oh i got to add that like Theflame52 said (kinda) if you contain the thermit mixture inside something its more likely to build up the pressure needed to cause an explosion.

The material you heat will ofc influence how strong and fast you need to heat it to make it explode. But everything will explode when sufficiently heated fast enough.