The (hypothetical long term) idea would be to generate CDDA maps from real world places.
The current implemention (Github repo) just generates an empty world with roads. It ain’t much, but they are !!!REAL WORLD™ roads!!!
“Demo” results (imgur album):
- CDDA screenshot in the middle of Saint Johnsbury
- Highlighted extracted roads image with the CDDA screenshot FOV
- Highlighted OpenStreetMap reference with the CDDA screenshot FOV
- OpenStreetMap (web) reference
- Full extracted roads image
- Generated CDDA save folder (WeTransfer) - 5.70Mb compressed
Right now it’s just a curiosity and would require a lot of work to make something playable. I doubt I could get anywhere near that point, but I couldn’t resist giving it a try when I thought about it. It seemed simple and in the end I was able to make it work with less than 500 lines of real code (excluding constant declarations and alike).
It’s written in python but, given the small size, it would be easy to port to any language.
Tested only on Windows, CDDA Experimental 0.E-10010-gd821da4.