Discussion regarding mod obsolescence

Don’t forget this:

They (they = people who donate time and energy to keep building the game) may not have even started working on it yet, but I hold this statement as proof that the concept is interesting to them, just not MORE interesting then a lot of other things.

1 Like

Well, IMO if you’re going to make a better thing to replace an old one, it’s good. But removing those old things just because you decided to replace them instead of actually doing it - or at least beginning the process of creating the replacement? Especially while they are still working? Well, it looks like an excuse to remove those things, nothing more.

2 Likes

Seems like people were not happy with this change a year and a half ago either, back when the announcement was still fresh.

Look at the thumbs up / down ratio and the heart ratings on posts condemning it lmao
Maybe I should’ve read those first, they’re able to put how awful this is into perspective better than me.

EDIT:

Kelenius commented on Jan 22, 2020

The discussion is happening, yes. The consideration part, not so much. There is some overreaction to this change going, but just because it’s an overreaction doesn’t mean it’s unjustified.

For one, […] the ability [to add mods] is not being removed, but it’s made more difficult, because instead of just ticking a box when generating a world, someone who wants tanks or doesn’t want to deal with acid will now have to go figure out how to re-enable, or, in the future, find and install these mods. It’s a trivial task to someone who knows how it all works and is aware of this PR, and a much less trivial task to someone who never touched the code and is just playing the game.

Inglonias commented on Jan 22, 2020

The only issue I have with the list presented here is that the game’s mod manager has an entire category for blacklist mods that will be pretty empty after this. […]

scorpion451 commented on Jan 22, 2020

[Discussion] is really something that needs to be done a lot more in the development process overall, to bridge the frequent disconnect between the dev’s vision for the game and the game people want to play that leads to mods immediately reverting changes that are considered wonderful new features by those programming them.

Why did I bother writing many words when I could just post quotes from that thread?
Core dev responses to these critique posts seem to be just as dismissive as those in this thread.

EDIT #2:

Muffindrake commented on Jan 26, 2020

[…] I have a sneaking suspicion the only people to benefit from this are those that have already endeared themselves to the core developers, at least one of which has voiced their own highly subjective opinions on ‘which mods should stay’.

And there we have it.

We don’t need an excuse. It’s our repo, and our time spent maintaining these things when they break. The only people who need to be consulted on whether or not to keep them is us, the contributors actually doing the work of fucking fixing them.

I don’t know why you think this is a discussion, @klipeh. We were doing the work. We were sick of doing the work. We agreed unanimously amidst the community of people doing the work to stop doing it. We announced we were going to stop doing it. People complained. We provided clearer guidelines for exactly what conditions would have to apply for mods to be included, and allowed a significant period of time for those mods to be updated and maintained.

It worked extremely well, and we are done.

No amount of this frankly obnoxious complaining about what we’re willing to do with our own time is going to change any of that. Stop wasting your breath. If you’d like to maintain these dozens of micro-mods for various blacklists, go for it. Or find any of the other people doing it and download theirs. What you are doing right now, no matter what you think you are doing, is demanding that we spend time maintaining and supporting a bunch of cruft that we have already refused to maintain and support. No matter how long your essays and how old the drama you dredge up, we are still not going to do that.

2 Likes

Well Erk saved me the trouble of writing a reply.
The issue is closed, and has been for a very long time, we were just explaining the outcome to you. I guess that was a mistake.