Deeper lab levels get colder

so i notice that the deeper into a science lab i go, the colder it gets. how many levels of lab can there be, and how cold can it get? also, does the possible loot get better the deeper you go?

It’s called an “Ice Lab” (Unofficially I guess? It’s the term folks use on the forums), 10, coldest I found was -148 F (The coldest recorded temperature is -128.6 F On july 20th, 1983 at the Soviet Vostok Station in Antarctica.) But that was at level 8 I think, and… Kinda… The “Loot” room of a lab is usually at the bottom.

…My ice lab had 48 mini-nukes I had to figure out how to get to the surface…

It’s called an “Ice Lab” (Unofficially I guess? It’s the term folks use on the forums), 10, coldest I found was -148 F (The coldest recorded temperature is -128.6 F On july 20th, 1983 at the Soviet Vostok Station in Antarctica.) But that was at level 8 I think, and… Kinda… The “Loot” room of a lab is usually at the bottom.

…My ice lab had 48 mini-nukes I had to figure out how to get to the surface…[/quote]so if i have Wool Allergy i guess the bottom level is off limits to me :frowning:

Use fur sleeping bags, just remember to take them away while on the surface or you’ll boil alive

You can craft warm enough clothes out of regular fur and rags with high enough tailoring. No need for wool. That said, the loot at the bottom of an ice lab is more or less the same loot you can find at a regular lab.

Except for the lab finalle, which often contains very neat stuff (advanced tech weapons and I think the new mutagen recipes)

Well yes, but even for the final floors, ice labs have the same possible neat stuff that ordinary labs have. Was sort of hoping for frozen zombies, yetis and freeze rays, but haven’t seen anything I haven’t seen in other labs so far.

Sorry. Mutagen recipes are rare, but aren’t that hard to find.

They recipes spawn in any ol’ lab chem-room (rows of counters) or dorm or, for one or two of the flavor-binders, in the dissector rooms. I haven’t touched lab finales.

kk thanks for the info guys.

That’s kinda depressing. Going through all that effort should have some kind of reward to it. Even if it’s just a stupid trophy item of some sort. There should be something exclusive down there.

[quote=“timtek, post:10, topic:4418”]That’s kinda depressing. Going through all that effort should have some kind of reward to it. Even if it’s just a stupid trophy item of some sort. There should be something exclusive down there.[/quote]yeah, why not make labs like the dungeons in any other game; lower you go, the better the loot, but more dangerous the enemies.

I have a bunch of code on the backburner related to ice labs. Some freeze rays, nitrogen grenades, ice zombies. When I have more free time, I will try and merge it to the current code base. Lot’s has changed, so I am a little daunted by the task.

I am hoping that the finales of the icelabs will be well worth the trek ;p honestly, I am surprised people are able to get so far down in the lab. I think the last lab level possible is -10, and that is close to absolute zero :slight_smile: Let’s pretend that there exists enough fur on the planet to protect against that kind of cold …

1 Like

I’ve considered trying to add an arctic survival suit at one point but couldn’t justify it…

It’s mostly just a lot of Fur sleeping bags and the Internal Climate Control CBM (Which if you’re curious, can’t keep up after the first floor. XD)

Ice lab level -1 finale = normal lab loot
Ice lab level -2 finale = normal lab loot, rarely some minor ice loot
Ice lab level -3 finale = minor ice loot
Ice lab level -4 finale = minor ice loot, chance for major lab loot
Ice lab level -5 finale = normal ice loot
Ice lab level -6 finale = normal ice loot, chance for major ice loot
Ice lab level -7 and further finale = major ice loot

i dunno.

maybe add a camp stove that you can use to run back to to keep warm? it’d be heavy and bulky, so you would set it up at a lower level, run around looting, then run back to it for some life giving warmth. it would basically be a race of time: how long you can loot before your fire goes out and you return to a cold stove and certain death?

Leave some two by fours there.

Gotta wonder what those scientists were wearing down there. Fur suits?

Lore-wise, the cold is caused by dimensional anomalies, so I imagine the lab was an ordinary science lab up until the point where it suddenly chilled and everyone inside froze to death. No one was doing extended work in the cold.

1 Like

I hope to provide a few different finales regarding the “why” the labs are cold. Once I get reimmersed into my code, I will see if it’s possible to also “fix” the problem and make it decent temperature again.

Nooo! I like the labs being horribly freezing. It’s a nice touch.