Deadchat!

Or someone needs a chatbot to tell us when/how people have died!

Basically you know how elona has the thing where it tells you how people are dying and stuff? I want dat.

I actually rather like the fact that C:DDA doesn’t send information outside my system.

Maybe I’m paranoid, but I really don’t like programs that sneak around behind the user’s back like that. It would be an annoyance to have to block internet traffic from each new version, and it doesn’t add any real gameplay value.

Ideally this could work through a client like telnet/ssh or websocket or whatever which would also potentially allow spectating and things like that - crawl has several servers for this, for example, I think nethack has some, and adom at least used to have one.

I have no idea how this would work with cataclysm’s code base however

[quote=“Rivet, post:2, topic:4820”]I actually rather like the fact that C:DDA doesn’t send information outside my system.

Maybe I’m paranoid, but I really don’t like programs that sneak around behind the user’s back like that. It would be an annoyance to have to block internet traffic from each new version, and it doesn’t add any real gameplay value.[/quote]

Maybe someday… someday we’ll be able to play CDDA online using telnet like NetHack right now, then the server bot can report users deaths and worthy feats (User ABC killed a zombie hulk!) and other multiplayer goodness (ghost, mail, engraving,…). Until then, paste your memorial log into some online text service should be more than enough.

[quote=“infectedmochi, post:4, topic:4820”][quote=“Rivet, post:2, topic:4820”]I actually rather like the fact that C:DDA doesn’t send information outside my system.

Maybe I’m paranoid, but I really don’t like programs that sneak around behind the user’s back like that. It would be an annoyance to have to block internet traffic from each new version, and it doesn’t add any real gameplay value.[/quote]

Maybe someday… someday we’ll be able to play CDDA online using telnet like NetHack right now, then the server bot can report users deaths and worthy feats (User ABC killed a zombie hulk!) and other multiplayer goodness (ghost, mail, engraving,…). Until then, paste your memorial log into some online text service should be more than enough.[/quote]

Back in the wee days of whalsedev, you could play cataclysm online, over ssh. Basically it had a shared world, but I could see a server bot making it’s way back in.

If I had internet (at an internet cafe paying 6 bucks an hour) I would gladly host a ssh server for cataclysm, considering the sheer amount of junk hardware I have available.

I thought there IS an ssh server for Cataclysm? It would be excellent!

Way back in the mists of time I played an online game (a MUD of some sort I believe) where you could send messages and gifts that would get randomly sent to others. This was at a time when internet games were mainly full of ‘serious’ players, so you didn’t get ‘lol u r fag’ but usually some really interesting help or really evil lies. I remember finding the player that lied to me and poisoned me with a gift (causing me to die and lose all my stuff) a few weeks later and gutting them mid way through a quest I joined them on - I have never felt such sweet revenge.

So yeah, a random messaging facility would be great, but - as Rivet says - only for those that wanted it.