DDA Universal Hint System (?)

[size=8pt]Due to another thread in this section, it got me thinking, how hard would it be to incorporate an universal hint system in the game. Maybe one that brings up help whenever you attempt something new or whatever. Some examples:

The first time you are injured, help will pop up giving you hints about how to treat it.

The first time a wound becomes infected, hints on how to treat it or where you could find said items.

The first time a certain monster appears, hints will inform you how to defeat it.

Pick up a certain item for the first time and maybe a hint(s) will come up telling you different uses.

Etc

All of this is open for debate of course. Maybe there could be a way to determine how much help you would like that shows up. None, minimum, normal, and full help/hints. Just a thought.[/size]

In short it’s a in-game tutorial system. I think this is an excelent idea. We can leverage the memorial system to track when the various events happen so we can mark them off and not display the help again.

I’m not so sure about specific suggestions like dealing with monsters, though we could maybe pop up a description of the monster the first time you see it.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:2, topic:4407”]In short it’s a in-game tutorial system. I think this is an excelent idea. We can leverage the memorial system to track when the various events happen so we can mark them off and not display the help again.

I’m not so sure about specific suggestions like dealing with monsters, though we could maybe pop up a description of the monster the first time you see it.[/quote]

…Can we have an “off” switch for the tutorial system? I can’t stand that system in Fallout New Vegas because every time I have to start a new game (YAY UNSTABLE MODS) I get to see all those stupid “GUNS GO BANG, LASERS GO PEW” messages

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:2, topic:4407”]In short it’s a in-game tutorial system. I think this is an excelent idea. We can leverage the memorial system to track when the various events happen so we can mark them off and not display the help again.

I’m not so sure about specific suggestions like dealing with monsters, though we could maybe pop up a description of the monster the first time you see it.[/quote]

[size=8pt]Indeed. I just think it could prove really useful for players both new and old, especially as new things are added into the game. Obviously it would not have detailed strategy tips and the like since everyone plays differently, but basic stuff and maybe some general advice would be good.[/size]

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:3, topic:4407”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:2, topic:4407”]In short it’s a in-game tutorial system. I think this is an excelent idea. We can leverage the memorial system to track when the various events happen so we can mark them off and not display the help again.

…Can we have an “off” switch for the tutorial system? I can’t stand that system in Fallout New Vegas because every time I have to start a new game (YAY UNSTABLE MODS) I get to see all those stupid “GUNS GO BANG, LASERS GO PEW” messages[/quote]

[size=8pt]I would like to think that if such a thing would be implemented it would be able to be toggled on or off. Or maybe even where you can toggle on what kind of help you would like to be displayed as you play.[/size]

Player Encounters Zombie Hulk

Hint: RUN!!!

This is an excellent idea! Especially the pop-up description of new monsters when you see them for the first time; that idea alone is worth implementing.

Regarding critter descriptions: seems like a good way to get spammed when first seeing a clump of specials. IME getting the “look” cursor out and scanning them has been pretty good.

Rest of it, yeah, sounds worth implementing.

It’s not like you couldn’t turn it off…it’d be juts like “safemode”, I imagine.

I like the idea a lot.

I like it, more Easter egg stuff can be added.

[size=14pt]And I fucking love Easter.[/size]

Keeping this idea afloat.