Curious about people’s opinion about the change on the knife spear to FRAGILE_MELEE

Very true. Just thought I would point it out.

I still can’t figure out how to get enough scrap copper to make a copper spear. All I ever find is copper tubing.

If you have something with metal sawing I think you can break those down into raw copper.

Are you smashing refrigerators? Because you get 1-3 scrap copper from each fridge.

Seriously, where did you find anything to suggest almost ANY of that?

It does depend a little on what you mean by “spear” - “at range” would be javelins, not spears, and “if anything got past”-type spears were for LONG spears used in formation (really SILLY long, in some cases).

The standard spear is a melee weapon that is superior to most other weapons in a great many situations. The primary weapon of the Spartans, for instance, was a spear, and they ANNIHILATED their foes with it (not just in formation usage, either), and there are literally hundreds of variations on the “spear” concept (bladed/pointy bits on a stick), used all over the world as primary weapons for literally millennia. Heck, even the lance is nothing but a slightly specialized spear.

Most bladed weapons (“swords” that today we would call long knives, and even more standard swords small enough to wear as a secondary weapon) were backup weapons, comparable to the pistol in comparison to the battle rifle - the only thing they do better is “be small enough to carry as a backup”.

The spear only faded as a primary weapon (at least for melee) with the advent of serious armor.

Personally, in a real zombie apocalypse of nearly any kind, the best way to deal with ridiculous numbers of zombies is to get a polearm of almost any kind (heck, even longer-handled garden implements would work) and get up on the roof of a nice, sturdy house. You could kill literally hundreds that way, basically at your leisure.

Shoot, a good sturdy pipe or pole, a solid lump of nearly any kind (rock or metal) and some means of attachment would even get the job done.

1 Like

It’s beyond the current game mechanics, but one idea I had was that instead of having a FRAGILE tag, you could make how fragile an item is depend on the difference between the difficulty of the recipe and the skill level when crafting the item.

Just an idea, not something that is feasible now.

We could use versions of fragile flag, we already have two kind of wblock techniques. Or someone could rewrite item techniques and flags, so they would like the items qualities, types with quality numbers.

I think having the ability to Mod your spear would make up for it being weak. Like having a wedge behind the point so it’s harder to get stuck. Or a form of handle increasing accuracy or a chem bottle so what you stab is splashed with acid or what have you. Or putting a burning tag around it to make a ghetto torch which you can stab enemies with to set them aflame. These would make up for any nerfs by balancing their strengths so you can have a torch spear or you can have a easily unstuck spear but not both. Just like the gun mod system.

1 Like