Crafting menu performance

Whoever fixed that in the latest build, you have my undying gratitude. I thought this news was so huge it deserved a thread of it’s own. You are a hero.

Since I’m on the stable 0.c, do you mean that the lag when you go through your crafting menu in the middle of your sum total loot piles and all books is gone?

Huh? Cool. So, uhh, how was the performance boosted? What’s the basic idea? I bet it loads all the recipes into RAM or VRAM now, doesn’t it. And the ingredient availability check is… uhh… done on a delayed fashion, but updated constantly as the character traverses the world, so that the up-to-date (or rather up-to-moment) crafting list can be accessed quickly at all times. But that would mean slower gameplay performance, but is it slow enough to be noticeable…?

Or maybe the recipes aren’t dumped from RAM anymore between tab changes, but kept instead, assuming they were always dumped in the first place. It kinda felt like they were dumped and loaded constantly back and forth, causing lag…

Or did someone implement some sort of advanced AI that stalks the player’s playing habits, and silently gives preference to most accessed recipes, while mostly ignoring everything else? I’m sorry, HAL. You can do that. I understand that now. Please don’t hurt me.

Or were the “statistically most accessed” items given a priority? How dare you segregate crafting recipes. How dare you assign preference! All recipes deserve equal processing time!

So many guesses, and I’m already excited, frightened, intrigued, AND outraged.

From what I’ve seen, it’s just that the last used inventory is kept until turn counter increases.

Yeah, I’m able to open it standing besides six overflowing cargo carriers and it’s lightning fast even on my humble C2D.

The only issue for me with the crafting menu is that sometimes for me when I have the item for a recipe it doesn’t always recognize that I have it at first usually when I just crafted it.

yea, really simple caching, the side effect is that it sometimes doen’t notice when your inventory does change, it should update any time your inventory or surroundings change, but it’s hard to nail down all the times it happens.

Yeah but it is solved simply by sort up causing an update.

I’ve taken a habit of waiting a single turn every time I’ve crafted an item, just to combat the crafting system not recognizing that I actually have everything. Seems to help 100% of the time.

Yeah that’s the only time I notice it too. Maybe throw in a cache refresh after crafting?

Can you give a specific instance where this happens? I just tried and it worked as intended.
Specifically, I had two rags, a tailor’s kit, and a rock, and no socks. I verified that “rock in a sock” was uncraftable, then crafted a pair of socks from the rags, and I was able to use it to craft a rock in a sock immediately.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:11, topic:9690”]Can you give a specific instance where this happens? I just tried and it worked as intended.
Specifically, I had two rags, a tailor’s kit, and a rock, and no socks. I verified that “rock in a sock” was uncraftable, then crafted a pair of socks from the rags, and I was able to use it to craft a rock in a sock immediately.[/quote]
I may be on to something here. I just witnessed this happen again, after a long while. What happened was that I batch-crafted ‘incendiary’, which is a bullet component, and immediately after crafting 3 batches of incendiary in one go, I tried to craft 7.62x51mm incendiary ammo. I’m 99% sure I didn’t see the ammo in the crafting list, not until I exited the menu and waited a turn. It might be worth noting that I didn’t have ANY incendiary prior to crafting. Also, that was my first time I crafted incendiary, and the recipe happened to get memorized (since it came from a book).

it happened to me while trying to mount the newly crafted item on a vehicle. I had to wait a turn for it to show up in the vehicle construction menu.

It seems to work fine with crafting though.