Craftable Nails! Because, you know, they aren't exactly hard to make

Why wouldn’t nails be craftable?
50 nails from 3 scrap or one steel lump,
100 from 1 large steel lump.

All you need is a hammer, and maybe a heating element, though that is debatable.

I can’t really imagine it would be hard to implement

Just go burn down a house and start running through it with autopickup on. You will get TONS on nails from just one house. I’ve gotten 5000+ from just 3 houses.

…That doesn’t really solve the issue of inability to craft an incredibly simple, if time consuming to make, thing.

Well whats stopping you from sharpening a a hard stick and nailing it into place?

Thats my point! Nails, wooden or otherwise should be something you should be able to craft!

You’re talking something that would require an anvil, forge, hammer, hardie, tongs, and set of dies or swages at the very least. I can dig some simplification for the sake of gameplay, but it’s still gonna require several tools and a source of really intense heat.

Seems like a lot of extra content to throw in for just making nails. If y’all have more ideas for things to smith, throw more ideas in here and if the head devs are amenable to the cause I’ll work up a PR for it.

Or waht about… A RIVET GUN (Epic pun intended.)

Other things any idiot can smith a functional version of:

platemail, swords, maces, axes, bowls, pipes, and knives.

[quote=“Rivet, post:6, topic:2799”]You’re talking something that would require an anvil, forge, hammer, hardie, tongs, and set of dies or swages at the very least. I can dig some simplification for the sake of gameplay, but it’s still gonna require several tools and a source of really intense heat.

Seems like a lot of extra content to throw in for just making nails. If y’all have more ideas for things to smith, throw more ideas in here and if the head devs are amenable to the cause I’ll work up a PR for it.[/quote]

We can already beat scrap metal into spikes, with no use of a heating element. There is no real reason we can’t do the same to make nails.

I just imagine that the player more or less just hammers and bends the stuff into a workable spike rather than making a wax mold, casting the mold in a kiln, melting the metal, pouring it into the mold, and then heat tempering it.

…I was thinking of the crafting process as in trying to flatten out a chuck of metal, banging one end into pails. They don’t have to be elegant or consistent, they just have to be able to go through wood without necessarily deforming. Hell, you could just take stiff wire from chain-link fences, cut that into the desired shape with bolt cutters, and you have nails. You don’t need to cast to make nails

Your nails would breal when you will try to hit them with a hammer. it would do at best a mediocre job. Just sayin

They still do they job. Piss poorly, yes, but they still do the job. Concievably this could be a case of “Makeshift Nails”, similar to the Makeshift Lock pick and Makeshift Welder. They aren’t as good as the real thing, but get the job done. Simply make constructs require more makeshift nails then they would regular nails. Or for fucks sake just use the welder or vehicle welding station to make proper nails. At least then we’d have some options.

The issue with ‘makeshift’ nails is that they don’t get the job done.

That said, the fact that we can make a crowbar out of a rock and a pipe says that this is entirely 100% plausible, so I say go for it regardless of realism concerns.

Well, at least add a hacksaw to cut that lump of steel into nail-sized bit.

But yeah, we should be adding more msithing stuff and require anvils and kilm for a lot of craft.

Alright the head devs are cool with it as well, so I’m going to start up a PR for this tomorrow or the next day.

I’ll post further info in ‘The Lab’ section of the forums once it’s under way.

I’m taking the “pissing” form into argument and pointing out that nails are nothing but lengths of steel. Do you have steel wire in your game? Can you, or can you not divide several feet of string into those only a few inches long? And finally, if you knew better than .jsons, you could make a strong yet small steel workshop menu for powertools and basically make everything outta anything (a powered saw applied to a frame could eventually lead to nails, if not put to a skilled use).

Thank you!

Compared to the other craftable metal items, yeah, I think nails are reasonable.

And this thread inevitably made me think of this.

I’ve said before that rather than using existing metal crafts to justify new metal crafting recipes, we should be overhauling metal smithing to be more involved and difficult.

But in the grand scheme of things craftable nails aren’t the lynchpin on that, so I say go for it. Maybe one day metal crafting can be developed into something more advanced. Until then let there be nails.