Condiments

Since there are bottles of ketchup, mustard, and mayo laying around I’m wondering if why can’t we have a system for using them on other foodstuffs. I propose that there should be a system like in Earthbound where if you have something that’s a condiment in your inventory when you eat something you also eat a unit of a random one, perhaps some weighted to be used more often with certain foods so you don’t put mustard on your chocolate bar like some kind of weird dude.

Sounds like a nice addition, perhaps it could be manual instead, the player can 'a’ctivate (or 'E’at - but the game will ask you if you want to use it on food instead) a condiment to their food in inventory or any adjacent titles. This will give a very slight morale boost (doubled if the player has the “Gourmand” trait) depend on whether that condiment fits into a predefined list of which-condiment-for-which-food :slight_smile:

I hope it’s doesn’t sounds too complex.

Load up your current character in DDA.
Look at your inventory.
Reevaluate whether the phrase “some weird dude” applies.

That aside, maybe add a [condiment] flag to some foods that enables this when you eat them, for another few point or two of morale boost, that’d be cool.

Just in case you don’t know, you can use condiments in some cooking recipes.

/obligatory
Biscuits n mustard uuun huuun

I was kinda thinking about this.

Admittedly I haven’t looked too hard at crafting stuff, but it annoyed me a little that I had a jar of strawberry jam and a bag of bread but couldn’t make jammy bread.

Like what the heck.

Anyway, I like the idea of condiments just giving a passive boost to morale when you eat things, depleting it over time. Ketchup and eggs.

I always vomit a little in my mouth whenever I see “You drink your Mayonnaise”

Good god why did you people make that a morale BONUS?

A simpler approach like Kevin and Hyena have suggested, passively deplete condiments when eating food with the [condiment] flag will work nicely too. Give the player a little more incentive to keep those around.

Can you make mayo yet?

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:5, topic:3618”]I always vomit a little in my mouth whenever I see “You drink your Mayonnaise”

Good god why did you people make that a morale BONUS?[/quote]

Maybe whoever added that was Swedish, as shown on the documentary series “Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time”.

Uh, IMO Earthbound’s system actually discouraged casual condiment use because of the randomness. Suggest having it presume efficient condiment-use, or, as Hyena Grin suggested, making condiment-use a recipe thing.

(Hmm…“jammy bread”, yeah, that’s right up with “chunk of veggy”. KEEPER. Even though it makes me think we really ought to be able to disable robots by throwing jars of jam at them. See: Spaceballs.)

Gourmand should definitely make condiments more effective.

One thing: if condiments get passively used, it should pull from the craftables-radius, not just your inventory. :wink: