Complex Combat and Weapon Attributes

[center]So I have been playing Cataclysm for a while now, and this is probably the most fun I’ve had while playing a rogue like. If I had to guess how many hours and how many assignments I’ve put off just to play this game, I couldn’t tell you. But thats not why I’m making this post…

I have a few suggestions about some of the mechanics of fighting and some ideas for more “random” weapons, all to be explained I assure you. Also, if all of this has been mentioned before, I appologize in advance.[/center]

[center]Combat[/center]

[center]So, the combat so far isn’t really intuitive… Its pretty much get the Zombie or what have you in a window seal and start bashing away.
Even when you’re not doing that, It’s still pretty simple and basic, you just walk into them untill they die or you die. It gets a bit stale.

One thing I really like about Dwarf Fortress Adventure mode was that when you got into a combat situation, you could choose where to attack, making it more interesting. So rather than just bashing into them randomly, you could make more of a choice, making combat more enjoyable and not so bland.

Of course there would be modifiers to your chances of landing a shot and how hard, and depending on what sort of weapon you’re using, wether you can break a leg or sever an arm. So rather than having to kill a zombie, you could attempt to just cut of a leg and make it slower, letting you get away faster.

Some moves could cost more points than others, so if you’re using a pipe or machete, you could just “Quickly Bash” or “Quickly Stab” so you can use less points, rather than every swing being the same. It can go both ways though, if you want to make a huge attack it would cost more points. But at the risk of it being not as effective as a full on strike.

Guns could follow by the same rules, you’d have an option of where you would like to shoot, and you would shoot. Then the modifiers of the gun and its attachments would come into play and help you be more accurate depending on what you have. Recoil would also be a huge problem if you’re trying to strike a headshot for example, or if you’re trying to make any sort of precise attack. That way you can choose if you want a headshot or not, and you don’t have to wait for that lucky “Head shot!” text to pop up.

Of course this combat should be an option, maybe not everyone wants such complicated combat.[/center]

[center]Weapon Attributes

Weapons in the game will be giving attributes, some will have the same attribute but this means that not ever weapon will be the same.

For example, if you find a Baseball bat thats “Heavy” you would want to trade it out for a Baseball bat thats “light”. But, “Heavy” makes the baseball bat have more force, at the disadvantage of being slower and vis versa.

This can also take effect when you’re crafting a weapon. If you make a horrible Nailbat you’re gonna be influenced to go and make a better one. This would also take into account your crafting level, so if you’re not that good at it, you probably won’t make a good Nailbat or any other weapon.[/center]

But yeah these are all just suggestions, I’m sure this might be really impossible to code but hey, its here. Also sorry for the brief over view of attributes, I accedentally deleted the first draft and I just wanted to finish this. Its like, 1 am okay. Don’t you judge me.

This weapons attributes thing is already in effect, take your own example , baseball bats, the aluminum one is lighter, faster but delivers less damage. Same for spears, lower skill gets you a wooden spear, better skill enables javelins, halberds and so on.
Though, tbh, the nail board is the most dpt effective as i can say.

I HAVE JUDGED YOU! But seriously, I think everyone would want something like this, but itd just generally be impossible to code in with all the bugs we have at the moment.

[quote=“Ferodaktyl, post:2, topic:1063”]This weapons attributes thing is already in effect, take your own example , baseball bats, the aluminum one is lighter, faster but delivers less damage. Same for spears, lower skill gets you a wooden spear, better skill enables javelins, halberds and so on.
Though, tbh, the nail board is the most dpt effective as i can say.[/quote]

I’ve noticed that, but even then, why not make it even more unnecessarily complex? I personally think that attributes would be cool in general. Just incase you don’t have the character set to make Halberds and that sort of thing. Its like when I come across a Katana, Ill never need another Katana again, cause theyre all the same, Ill also never need another melee weapon cause its one of the best. I think that sort of thing ruins the thought of maybe searching a bit harder and taking more time to evaluate your choices.

Yeah, the bugs are aplenty. I didn’t think this entire thing would be added anytime soon, considering. The main thing I really would like to see is the combat redone. Although, It’s probably the most complex one.

Seems like somebody played DI:R lately…

and yeah, a complex combat system would be nice. But in dwarf fortress you fight 3 or 4 adversaries at the same time, not 200…

[quote=“Reservoir, post:6, topic:1063”]Seems like somebody played DI:R lately…

and yeah, a complex combat system would be nice. But in dwarf fortress you fight 3 or 4 adversaries at the same time, not 200…[/quote]

I wish I had DI:R, but yeah thats pretty much where the idea came from. I really like that mechanic! But, I think the combat would still work, as long as you’re not fighting 200 monsters, which I never find myself doing. But even then, you could use your gun and attempt to head shot some of em.

What’s DI:R?

Dead Island : Riptide

I support the idea of more complex combat! I also have an easier way to implement both of those

Combat Styles
– You can use _ to “equip” a martial art. This could be hijacked to be “Select preferred attack”. So when wielding a nailboard, which has both bash and pierce, you could select “Prefer pierce”. This would adjust the frequency of that attack happening.

Weapon Attributes
– Similar to the clothing damaged/normal/reinforced. When crafting weapons, maybe include a second roll based on skill to decide. An inferior weapon would have a worse chance to hit, and worse damage. A superior weapon would have minor boosts to both.

item equipped--------style to attack

meaning:

Unarmed:Judo

Unarmed: Karate

Katana: Kendo

Katana: Iaijutsu

Baseball bat: Slugger

Baseball bat: Wild

Baseball bat: Careful

etc etc

Basically you equip a weapon and then a default style is chosen. based on proficiency with the weapon type you’d unlock different style’s to choose from and each would have their own strength’s and weaknesses. with careful you could cripple enemies more often or make more critical strikes at the cost of damage, wild would increase attack speed at the cost of damage and accuracy and slugger would reduce attack speed in favor of huge damage swings

This is much like the Burst/Semi fire on firearms, why not have it for melee weapons?